PDA

View Full Version : A whole chicken, questions......

88gt17ma
05-23-2006, 04:27 PM
I was on fitday plugging in foods.

Looking for a whole chicken I came across what I thought was right and wanted to make sure.

It says that a whole chicken with the skin, bone removed is somewhere around 2000 cals and 200g protein....

is this correct?

For dinner I have been buying a whole rotisserie chicken, and eating the whole thing....am I really getting this much from it?

Teufelhund
05-23-2006, 05:58 PM
skinless Chicken has almost the exact same amount of cholesterol per ounce as lean Beef, Pork, Duck, Catfish, dark meat Turkey, baked salmon...

This is because cholesterol is used to build the cell walls in animals. So most all animals have comparable amounts of cholesterol per ounce of muscle. ALL animal meat contains cholesterol. Some a little less, some a little more.

what meat would you have him eat?

Teufelhund
05-23-2006, 06:06 PM
To be clear, consuming 7 portions of chicken in one sitting is probably overkill, though.

Teufelhund
05-23-2006, 08:59 PM
High cholesterol is mostly a product of unfortunate genetics, not diet.

Teufelhund
05-23-2006, 09:00 PM
Also, Fat and cholesterol are not related.

Teufelhund
05-23-2006, 09:02 PM
Mostly because its a waste of protein, which tends to be expensive. Extra protein can be burned as energy or stored as fat. Then the body would be left without for the rest of the day, if only one protein meal was taken.

RedSpikeyThing
05-23-2006, 09:04 PM
Mostly because its a waste of protein, which tends to be expensive. Extra protein is burned as energy or stored as fat. Then the body would be left without for the rest of the day, if only one protein meal was taken.

I agree on the protein bit, but I want to know what is so bad about meat specifically.

Teufelhund
05-23-2006, 09:09 PM
It was asserted that meat is unhealthy (deadly, even! lol) because of its high cholesterol content. I take the stance that this is untrue, and I would point out that we are, in fact, made up completely of meat. High cholesterol meat.

A diet high in cholesterol can raise your blood cholesterol levels levels, but mostly high cholesterol is due to bad genetics.

Saint Patrick
05-24-2006, 12:39 AM
T-Hund couldn't be more correct.

Love the bumper sticker too.

HILL
05-24-2006, 01:51 AM
Teufelhund is spot on. dont worry about eating meat. i agree eating the whole this could be overkill however ive done this many times myself and included the skin. mayeb have half for one meal half for another. i used to do this everyday

teck
05-24-2006, 02:07 AM
not eat meat?!?!?! what is this world coming to! chicken is for me a prime source of protein well prefer turkey and tuna, 1 whole chicken is a bit OTT but cut it up dude!

88gt17ma
05-24-2006, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Im going to cut the chicken up, and spread it out throughout the day.

Rogue
05-24-2006, 11:50 AM
Don't forget to eat the bones!! Lots of protein in them....;)