PDA

View Full Version : Killing Yourself With a Bad Bench Press

Eszekial
05-24-2006, 11:24 AM
Soo, i've never had this problem before, I chalk it up to cutting and already being tired and probably a bit (see: large amounts) of stupidity.

Recently dropped the bench on my rib cage. Wrists couldn't keep it stable. I was jittery, tired, lacking energy, and pushing near max.

So now every time i bench, i'm hesitant. And i'm thinking, what if i drop the bar on my neck and freaking kill myself?

What do you powerlifters do? Is there any more security i can bring myself?

is there any chance in hell I can survice dropping 265 lbs on my neck?

Dropped it on my ribg cage the first and only time, and i was totally fine. Just laughed and picked it up and racked it. But the neck is a whole different ball game.

Sensei
05-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Tuck your elbows and bring the bar lower. Bench w. spotters and/or in a power rack.

I've never had fear from lifting, but after having lower back and hamstring issues when squatting and deadlifting, I've been perhaps a little overly cautious about hitting heavy weights regularly in training. Focus on the lift, the technique, and the weight - if you can focus on the procedure, you'll be less likely to drift into thoughts of failure or injury.

KevinStarke
05-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Just get a good spotter, i dont fear holding any weight in my hands on bench if I have a spotter that to help if I need it. You can hurt yourself doing tons of difference exercises.

Eszekial
05-24-2006, 11:51 AM
This one incident has caused me a lot of questioning.

I'm not sure where to put the blame, but should probably just attribute it to being way to tired to go near max.

The next work out i did my wrists wobbled again. It's not like i haven't done this weight before.

I think i just need to refeed and hit the weights with tons of success.

That'll bring my confidence back up.

KevinStarke
05-24-2006, 11:52 AM
Build up some wrist strength

drew
05-24-2006, 12:04 PM
Work more heavy deads into your routine to help strengthen your wrists. Use a spot when doing heavy sets and if you're really worried, don't put collars on the barbell so you can dump it if need be.

Eszekial
05-24-2006, 12:06 PM
Work more heavy deads into your routine to help strengthen your wrists. Use a spot when doing heavy sets and if you're really worried, don't put collars on the barbell so you can dump it if need be.

I'm usually losing control of the bar by the last few reps on deads.

I do them raw, this is probably an excellent idea.

Even more reason to Dead.

SkinnySadMan
05-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Hmm I have this isse with squats and bench press.. and variations. I really have to invest in new equipment... negative 1000$ for me. Power rack and olympic weight set.

I can't really push myself with bench, so I must judge my reps honestly, whether the next one would be failure or not. Squatting ain't too bad... I can just rock backwards and ditch the weights... but then it usually grinds on my back, then my floor gets chipped (wooden floors).

SaVvY
05-24-2006, 12:48 PM
Soo, i've never had this problem before, I chalk it up to cutting and already being tired and probably a bit (see: large amounts) of stupidity.

Recently dropped the bench on my rib cage. Wrists couldn't keep it stable. I was jittery, tired, lacking energy, and pushing near max.

So now every time i bench, i'm hesitant. And i'm thinking, what if i drop the bar on my neck and freaking kill myself?

Dropped it on my ribg cage the first and only time, and i was totally fine. Just laughed and picked it up and racked it. But the neck is a whole different ball game.
theres definately a chance - i basically fell down with 530 odd pound on my shoulders, i managed to just about get it off me before i hit the deck but the bar still landed right on my thumb at full pace - i have a scar for life by the looks of it but it didnt even break the bone

ive survived worse than that though - went skiing for the first time ever an for some dumb reason i went up to the top, some 600 foot up - this was on a dry ski slope so it was a solid grid like surface if you fell down - i went down an started speeding up massivley straight from the off, i was told i got up to around 60mph, i was turning the skies in to try an slow down but all i was doing was speeding up, there was about 50 feet left an id be hitting a wall

i crossed the skies too much, cliping them together, i did 5 flips in mid air an landed flush on my face - i weighed 235lbs at the time - i couldn't see out of 1 eye for a couple of a seconds, then i got up - 10 minutes later i was skiing again with just a few bumps an bruises

people have survived much worse - its well known 50 cent survived getting shot 9 x etc

bigbadwolfe
05-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Eszekial my firstthing I will tell you is get a good spotter, then secondly if you are having wrist problems get some wraps to help stabilize the wrist.

If you get under a bar trhinking you are gonna get hurt odds a pretty likely you will eventually get hurt. Take every neccesary precaution to keep your self safe, but if you keep playing over and over and over in your mind that you dropped weight, then all you will picture is dropping weight.

Mike Brown from Westside snapped his arm benching 740 pounds and had the bar come back and graze his head. He has a titanium rod in his left arm and a HUGE gapping scar on the under side of his arm from the surgery. But you know what? He crawls back under that bar every week and is now almost stronger then ever on all his lifts. The kid is a freak if that happened to me there is no way on God's green earth would my happy ass be back under the bar, but it is a mental thing and he has beaten his mental status into submission and will soon smoke 740 pounds the weight that hurt him.

GET YOUR FREAKING MIND RIGHT AND GO IN THERE AND DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps, Wolfy!!!!

Eszekial
05-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Just what I needed to hear.

WBBIRL
05-24-2006, 02:42 PM
I've dropped either 225 or 250 on my chest from full lockout... I was laughing about something and BAM down goes the weight. The only other kid in the gym could even help me (a 100lb weakling) so I calmed down and pressed it back up myself.

Moral of the story: If your benching out of your "comfort" area in weight have a spoter and lift off if your really uncomfortable.

Gutz981
05-24-2006, 02:47 PM
If your wrists are giving get some wraps. I hate it when joints are holding a muscle back. It sickens me.

Eszekial
05-24-2006, 02:49 PM
The thought of using wraps is just something im sorely against.

I'm going to DL like a motha fuka until my wrists are back to bitching.

drew
05-24-2006, 02:54 PM
The thought of using wraps is just something im sorely against.
Why?

Eszekial
05-24-2006, 02:57 PM
The whole, weak link in the chain, thing.

drew
05-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Yes, I understand that. But I think pressing more weight, even with wrist wraps, is going to make your wrists stronger. You just need to keep pulling and build up your wrists and forearms and gain some weight.

KevinStarke
05-24-2006, 03:21 PM
I see nothing at all wrong with wrapping your wrists for heavy benching. If it'll help me stabalize the weight better and reduce the chance of my little ass wrists breaking or something from holing up 350+ lbs over my body i'll use em. Do reverse curls and other wrist strengthin exercises.

waynedang
05-24-2006, 03:44 PM
I have lost the weight low many times and had a couple close calls with my ugly mugg with 500+. You just have to trust your spotters and be confident that you can lift it. If you go in scared or tentative you get hurt. It is fine to use wrist wraps on heavy sets use them when you need them the strength will come give it time.

wayne

BCC
05-24-2006, 03:50 PM
If you're straight up dropping the weight on yourself you're using too loose of form with too much weight.

Gutz981
05-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Like the powerliftin brothers up there said (Drew and Kevin) on your heavier sets theres no same. I wouldn't make a bad habit out of them but when your going lower than your usual rep range I think it would be a good idea.

Patz
05-24-2006, 04:54 PM

I don't know the details, but the friend of my childhood friend's father actually did drop the bar on his neck and died. I remember this being discussed when I was about 10 or so..

Personally, even when I max I'm not using a weight that I can't at least bring down slowly. And, if that's the case, there's no reason I shouldn't be able to aim it for my chest instead of my neck.

Goodwinm
05-24-2006, 05:07 PM
dont use spinlocks on the end of the barbell when benching. So if you do get pinned under the weight you can slide the plates off. Rather that than suffocating under a barbell. What a horrible way to die. Its a very frequent accident.

KevinStarke
05-24-2006, 07:04 PM
Just get bit by a vampire, thats what I did.

Mercuryblade
05-24-2006, 08:41 PM
What a horrible way to die. Its a very frequent accident.

The dying??

Goodwinm
05-25-2006, 02:37 AM
The dying??
well dying in that way. Barbell across the neck, or barbell breaking ribs and paralyzed for life. And paralyzed for life is death in my book lol.

Guido
05-25-2006, 10:43 AM
I've dropped 375 lbs on myself. No fun. My sidespotters were not paying enough attention.

Use trustworthy side spotters!

Songsangnim
05-27-2006, 05:34 AM
Use a power rack. Problem solved. Even better than spotters as it does not get distracted.

WBBIRL
05-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Use a power rack. Problem solved. Even better than spotters as it does not get distracted.

You can really use a power rack... the weight has to touch your chest (well alteast should if you know what the hell your doing) and unless you have an insane back arch when you bench the rack would do you no good.

Songsangnim
05-27-2006, 09:09 PM
(1) You can really use a power rack... (2) the weight has to touch your chest (well alteast should if you know what the hell your doing) and (3) unless you have an insane back arch when you bench the rack would do you no good.

I will assume you are saying "You CAN'T really use a power rack"...the context of the rest of your post would indicate that.

(numbers are mine)

1. Yes you can. I do just fine.

2. You can set the pins at the level of your chest. As for touching the chest, not that is not absolutely necessary. I go down to about 2 inches above the chest..any lower would result in severe joint pain and possibly worse injury. Two inches isn't going to make a heck of a lot of difference. As for knowing what I am doing I've been training since 1988. And only once ever had a injury that kept me out of the gym for more than a week, despite the fact that that I almost always train heavy (4-6 rep max). I think that shows I know what I am doing.

3. Again no. It depends on the power rack. Mine works just fine. But if yours has some weird setup then use spotters.

biggimp
05-27-2006, 09:37 PM
hell there is nothing wrong with benching in a power rack i do it all the time! you do realize that your neck is a few inches lower than your chest when you lay on your back dont you? set the safety bars between your chest and neck. and when you miss, the bar just goes right above your neck. i have missed on shirted 365 attempts and many smaller ones and i have had no problems. it works fine man :)

phreak
05-29-2006, 03:38 AM
You can really use a power rack... the weight has to touch your chest (well alteast should if you know what the hell your doing) and unless you have an insane back arch when you bench the rack would do you no good.
It's the other way 'round. If you are extremely skinny and have NO arch, only then might a rack not be effective. Keep in mind that the pins should not be set at chest level. The human chest is very flexible, so the pins can be set much lower and still be very effective. The most crucial height is the height of your neck. That's why I set my pins about 5-6" above the padding of the bench. That way, whatever happens, the bar cannot choke me out. It might hurt my ribs a bit (happens sometimes), but nothing serious and never any time off needed.

BigJohn308
06-15-2006, 05:07 AM
The real scoop. Let me say this first, if you have never dropped a bar on you and been hurt bad, then you have no idea what its like.
Now my story, I was working out with 335. This is a weight I can do sets of 3-5 reps with fairly easily. One day I decided to try a little variation on my wrist straightening and it didn't work out. My wrist snapped forward and down came the bar, for al of you that think your spotter behind you will catch it, good luck it happens so fast that unless he has his hands under the bar theres no chance. The bar came down with 335 across my neck, my wife was spotting me and after a little work we got it off of me. I sustained a hernia from twisting to get the bar off of me.
Result was two broken bones in my neck and a hernia. I came back and started traininbg a couple months later and things are going great. I wasn't worried about getting under the bar because I have been through things like this before breaking horses and such. Another thing I did, since I only have one person to spot me, is to have my welder make some adjustable safety bars for my bench uprights. If anyone is interested in seeing a picture of it here is the link. Train hard but SAFE.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b121/LaurieMarieCrone/4b866565.jpg

Nicoman
06-19-2006, 05:48 AM
Eszekial my firstthing I will tell you is get a good spotter, then secondly if you are having wrist problems get some wraps to help stabilize the wrist.

If you get under a bar trhinking you are gonna get hurt odds a pretty likely you will eventually get hurt. Take every neccesary precaution to keep your self safe, but if you keep playing over and over and over in your mind that you dropped weight, then all you will picture is dropping weight.

Mike Brown from Westside snapped his arm benching 740 pounds and had the bar come back and graze his head. He has a titanium rod in his left arm and a HUGE gapping scar on the under side of his arm from the surgery. But you know what? He crawls back under that bar every week and is now almost stronger then ever on all his lifts. The kid is a freak if that happened to me there is no way on God's green earth would my happy ass be back under the bar, but it is a mental thing and he has beaten his mental status into submission and will soon smoke 740 pounds the weight that hurt him.

GET YOUR FREAKING MIND RIGHT AND GO IN THERE AND DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps, Wolfy!!!!

Now that's what I am talkin about:strong:

Nice bench Big John....