PDA

View Full Version : UD2.0 Diet??? Is this on the right track? Long, but help needed.

ShadyRensch
05-24-2006, 04:03 PM
A friend of mine who is a bodybuilder has been telling me about the UD2.0 diet, and has also been recommended by some members here for me. I am 6'0'', 191 pounds, coming from 285 about 2 1/2 years ago. My friend told me the calories for each day, and what to eat for P/C/F etc. It was kind of advice I took blindly and started it this week, but I would like to know if it is for sure what I should be doing. So I want to follow the Ultimate Diet 2.0 by Lyle McDonald, and here is what we came up with:

Mon-Wednesday 1500 Cals 200-250 g protein
Fat and protein only, only trace carbs otherwise

Monday
Leg Press 3x10-15
DB stiff leg deadlifts 3x10-15
Hack Squat 3x10-15
Ham Curls 3x10-15
Leg Extension 3x10-15
Seated Calf Raise 3x10-15
60-90 sec rest periods

Tuesday
Barbell Bench 3x10-15
Lat pulldowns 3x10-15
Incline DB Flies 3x10-15
Cable rows 3x10-15
Peck Deck 3x10-15
Machine Row 3x10-15
Side Raises 3x10-15
Rear Raises 3x10-15
Dumbell Curls 3x10-15
Cable Pressdowns 3x10-15
60-90 sec rest periods
HIIT Cardio

Wednesday
No Lifting
HIIT

Thursday
1st half day normal depletion diet
Whey/dextrose shake 30 min before/after workout ( at least 50 g dextrose, 1 scoop pro)
Squats 3x6-10
Stiff Leg Deadlift 3x6-10
Calf Raises 3x6-10
Incline Barbell Bench 3x6-10
Pull Ups 3x6-10
DB Military Press 3x6-10
Shrugs 3x6-10
Dips 3x6-10
Preacher Curls 3x6-10
Rest period 1-2 minutes between lifts
Another 200+ g carbs rest of night with some protein but not as much

Friday-800 g Carbs, not as much worry about cals
Pure carb sources (bread, rice, potatoes, noodles)
No major protein or fat sources.

Saturday-2500 Cals 40/20/20 PCF
Morning Workout
Squats 2x3-5
Stiff Leg Deadlifts 2x3-5
Calf Raises 2x3-5
Barbell Bench 2x3-5
Weighted Pull Ups 2x3-5
Dips 2x3-5
Barbell Rows 2x3-5
DB Military Press 2x3-5
Skull Crushers 2x3-5
Barbell Curls 2x3-5

Sunday-2500 Cals 40/20/20PCF
Low intensity cardio 30 Min

Ok that's all of it, I know it's VERY long, but I really want to make sure I'm doing this right.

TheGimp
05-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Cut some calories out of Sunday. If Saturday represents your maintenance calories then cut the low carb/cal days intake down to 1250 cals. Up the carb intake on Thursday to 400g.

If you really want to do it right then buy the ebook.

EDIT: Don't forget 10 grams creatine on Thursday split between pre and post workout shakes, and 20 grams Friday taken throughout the day.

ShadyRensch
05-24-2006, 04:55 PM
^really? I had no idea about the creatine, and I am not exactly sure of my maint. cals right now.

TheGimp
05-24-2006, 04:59 PM
That's why you should get the ebook :) IMHO the 2nd best investment a body builder can make, behind a kitchen scale, it's packed with all kinds of useful information and not just UD2.0 specifics.

I wouldn't use calorie values given to you arbitrarily by your friend. Find out your maintenance then set the low carb/cal days to half that, eat at around maintenance on Saturday (or a little over to take advantage of anabolism) and slightly under on Sunday.

ShadyRensch
05-24-2006, 05:03 PM
Is that right that you don't really count cals on Friday, just get in a ton of carbs? It sounds too reckless to me, I don't want to ruin what I did Monday-Thursday. And also with the thursday after workout carb eating, is there a certain amount of cals to shoot for the day? He said 800 carbs Friday, where is that number from? I am going to try to get the book though, but I would like to wing it until it comes.

TheGimp
05-24-2006, 11:27 PM
On Friday yeah just count carbs not calories. It can be hard to overcome the feeling of ruining everything you have had to go through hell for earlier in the week but just put your faith in nutrient partitioning. You can help by making sure your carb sources are absolutely clean. That means keeping fructose at 50g or less (or sucrose, table sugar, at 100g or less) and avoiding fat at all costs.

The amount of carbs you eat in total over the two days is related to how much muscle mass you have and hence how much muscle glycogen you need to refill. The reason I suggest upping the carbs to 400g on Thursday is because I weigh a heck of a lot less than you (I'm currently just under 140lbs) and I personally average about 400g Thursday and 800g Friday, although I have gone as high as 600g Thursday. You will need to experiment to see how much you can get away with. You will really appreciate stuffing yourself when it comes to the power workout.

ddegroff
05-24-2006, 11:45 PM
^wheres the e-book, i looked on lyle's page but couldn't find it.

TheGimp
05-24-2006, 11:55 PM
Well well... it looks like Lyle is now offering UD2.0 only as a hardcopy, unless I am missing something?

ddegroff
05-24-2006, 11:57 PM
wow thats a bummer, I really want the book don't have enough cash at the moment.

ShadyRensch
05-31-2006, 02:49 PM
I was on this for 3 days, the hard parts, then stopped before I got to start eating actually on Thursday. I still have done a cut since last week, but I'm going to get back to this UD2.0 on Monday.

What happens if I don't get the 400g carb Thurs, and 800g carb Friday?

Davidelmo
05-31-2006, 04:19 PM
On Friday yeah just count carbs not calories. It can be hard to overcome the feeling of ruining everything you have had to go through hell for earlier in the week but just put your faith in nutrient partitioning. You can help by making sure your carb sources are absolutely clean. That means keeping fructose at 50g or less (or sucrose, table sugar, at 100g or less) and avoiding fat at all costs.

The amount of carbs you eat in total over the two days is related to how much muscle mass you have and hence how much muscle glycogen you need to refill. The reason I suggest upping the carbs to 400g on Thursday is because I weigh a heck of a lot less than you (I'm currently just under 140lbs) and I personally average about 400g Thursday and 800g Friday, although I have gone as high as 600g Thursday. You will need to experiment to see how much you can get away with. You will really appreciate stuffing yourself when it comes to the power workout.

Hey,
I had a quick look at your journal a while ago.

Can you briefly outline your progress on the UD2.0 diet and workout regime please?

I've read the book but I'm very curious about what to expect from following the routine/diet etc.

You can PM me if you dont want to hijack this thread too much!

TheGimp
05-31-2006, 04:57 PM
Can you briefly outline your progress on the UD2.0 diet and workout regime please?

I did 8 weeks from November 2004 to January 2005, lost 11.3 lbs (151.1 -> 139.8) and 4.25 inches (33 -> 28.75) off my waist. Strength I think increased.

Did a 7 week cycle recently lost 5.2 lbs and 2 inches off my waist, but that was starting leaner (140.8 -> 135.6 and 30 -> 28) and with a lot less cardio.

If you want pics you'll have to hunt for them in my journal ;)

ShadyRensch
05-31-2006, 09:35 PM
^^sounds good, I'm re-starting Monday and I'm gonna stick to it.

Did you do the HIIT 3 days a week, and a lot of other cardio? Or just lift, and a little bit cardio? Man I was really tired that week I tried it, but I will do it if it's gonna help alot.

TheGimp
06-01-2006, 01:20 AM
I haven't done any HIIT for years.

On that first 8 week cycle I did at least 30 minutes of cardio a day during the low cal/carb days in the form of playing dance dance revolution on my XBOX. Yes I'm serious!

I think the cardio definitely helped with energy levels but it's pretty much impossible to avoid feeling a little ****ty when you're eating that little. Try taking some stimulants as well, some caffeine, some fat burning pills, etc. Personally I just stuck to sugar free red bull and a heck of a lot of green tea.

One thing I wanted to point out about those progress stats is you shouldn't focus too much on your weight. If you do things right you'll be recomposing and probably gaining muscle while dropping fat, so I found taking a weekly waist measurement more effective (as an indicator of body fat) than the scale.

Can you clarify your question about failing to eat the carbs? Do you mean not carb loading at all? Or do you mean eating less carbs than that?

ShadyRensch
06-01-2006, 01:55 PM
I was just wondering, if I dont reach the 400 g carbs Thurs, or the 800 Friday, is that a huge deal? as long as I'm close? As i understand Mon-Wed are the fat burning days, and Thurs-Friday are the muscle building, while Sat-Sun are maintaining???

TheGimp
06-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Well I'd say it's a big deal to make sure you eat plenty of carbs. As to whether plenty is less than, equal to, or more than 400/800g is something you will have to determine by experimentation.

You're not going to be building muscle on Thursday and Friday. Instead you are gearing up for a real balls to the wall workout on Saturday, and it's Saturday where the anabolism comes in. If you undereat carbs and have a poor workout you're missing out on the opportunity to gain muscle while losing fat that UD2.0 provides, and you're failing to make up for any muscle loss you may have had earlier in the week.

ShadyRensch
06-01-2006, 04:16 PM
oh alright, good ish, thanks man

I'll prolly be askin more as I do it, but thanks for the help so far.

TheGimp
06-02-2006, 12:08 AM
I'm just curious where everyone else with UD2.0 experience is. :scratch:

UrbanSmooth
06-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Hey, buddy. I don't think you need to cut, I think you need to workout. Why not bump the bi-daily caloric intake to 6100? :indian:

Sose
06-02-2006, 12:31 AM
Im unclear on what type of diet Thursday is supposed to be like? regular to mon-wed with half the carbs of friday? please explain the depletion day im more detail

ddegroff
06-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Im unclear on what type of diet Thursday is supposed to be like? regular to mon-wed with half the carbs of friday? please explain the depletion day im more detail

Thursday Am is just like M-W diet, but you only eat 75% of your cals for the day. Then around the workout you need to consume tons of carbs. Then have a few more carb dominant meals before bed. The goal is to eat around 1000g of CHO from thursday's workout till friday.