PDA

View Full Version : Semi-Skimmed Milk

teck
05-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Just a quick question, is Semi-Skimmed milk that bad for you? i have it with my shake only once or twice a day at the most, but i havebeen trying to find low fat milk here in the UK and people just dont stock it! i have found soya milk, have not tried that but what is the best milk to drink and why thanks.

Saint Patrick
05-25-2006, 12:02 PM
I've never heard of semi-skimmed milk, maybe it's a wacky british thing, like bubble & squeak.

What's the nutrition info?

Beast
05-25-2006, 12:58 PM
I've never heard of semi-skimmed milk, maybe it's a wacky british thing, like bubble & squeak.
LOL

Shouldn't "semi-skimmed" mean "low-fat"? It's probably 2% or something.

Optimum08
05-25-2006, 01:09 PM
what is bubble and squeak?

Saint Patrick
05-25-2006, 01:35 PM
LOL

Shouldn't "semi-skimmed" mean "low-fat"? It's probably 2% or something.

That's what I was thinking, but he made a distinction that they don't sell low-fat milk in his area. Come to think of it, they're probably the same thing and they just call it semi-skimmed in the UK instead of low-fat. The OP confused me.

what is bubble and squeak?

http://www.apbw.mistral.co.uk/english1.htm#ef10

Bubble & Squeak
This is another very old dish, used as a way of finishing up the leftovers from a previous meal. The name comes from what happens when you cook it apparently. You will need a big pile of cold, left-over mashed potato, cooked cabbage, and (traditionally) cold, cooked beef from the Sunday joint. However, the meat is optional- you can omit it completely for a vegetarian version.

Heat some dripping (fat) in a pan fairly strongly and fry the chopped up meat. Add the cold cooked cabbage and mashed potato and mix it thoroughly, then reduce the heat somewhat and cook the whole dish steadily for 15 to 20 minutes or more without stirring it, so that it is set solid, the edges and underside are browned but not stuck and it is cooked right through. Serve it piping hot.

HILL
05-25-2006, 01:52 PM
Semio-skinned is a little different or it could be like your 2% milk. we have full fat/semi skinned and skinned. their is nothing wrong with either as longas it fits into your daily cals

Optimum08
05-25-2006, 02:01 PM
mmm bubble and squeak actually sounds pretty delish. i love mashed potatoes.

teck
05-25-2006, 02:58 PM
100ml
49kcal
3.4g protein
5g carbs (all of this is sugar)
1.7g (1g sat fat)

Buble and squeak is the best!proper nice!! very good for breakie!!

Beno79
05-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Im using full fat milk or whole, or blue top... or whatever you like to call it! Seems good to me, quite fatty but good to gain weight with. I drink about 1 or 2 pints a day i guess.

If you're worried about semi skimmed, why not get the red top skimmed?

Nosaj
05-25-2006, 05:38 PM
To be as unscientific as possible, I drink a gallon of 2% milk a day and I have never felt better or been stronger. Do I exclusively thank milk for this? Of course not, but it sure hasen't been hurting. Just my 2c about 2%. :)

Big Jay
05-26-2006, 05:25 PM
semi-skimmed milk is like 2%... if u want lower fat theres skimmed milk (altho it tastes watery in my opinion) or if u go to Tesco's theres milk called "One" (its got a purple top the way semi-skimmed is green), and as the name gives away, its 1% fat lol