PDA

View Full Version : insulin spike

skinnykid
01-23-2002, 11:32 AM
is it a good idea to spike insulin in the morning?

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-23-2002, 02:16 PM
what are your reasonings for wanting it spiked then?

ericg
01-23-2002, 02:20 PM
I like to spike my coke, or punch..always make the party come alive

YatesNightBlade
01-24-2002, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by skinnykid
is it a good idea to spike insulin in the morning?

Create an insulin spike ???? What with and why ??

I would say NO !!!. It's never a good idea (except after training :D) to raise your blood sugar way high and then crash.

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-24-2002, 09:51 AM
I think you should focus more on keeping yourself sustained until your next meal than worry about insulin spiking.

mickeys
01-27-2002, 02:17 AM
you should never spike your insulin unless it's after you lift

so basically never eat any sugar, good luck following it

body
01-27-2002, 05:30 AM
I want to increase my insulin levels after training rather than spike it, as with spike you have a down side as you will feel tired when they lower.
I want to keep a constant insulin level.

Slim Schaedle
01-27-2002, 12:22 PM
Mickeys, it really depends on how serious or picky you are about your diet. The only large amounts of sugar i get in mine is dextrose after a workout or on the occasional cheat day. Fruits don't count b/c they won't shoot your insulin levels up. So, it's not impossible.

Slim Schaedle
01-27-2002, 12:26 PM
also keep in mind that breads are high glycemic also, not just sugar;)

the doc
01-27-2002, 02:25 PM
i think eating some white bread (300-400 cals worth) with little or no protein of fat would do the trick

Slim Schaedle
01-27-2002, 02:35 PM
white breadtuttut

Brahms
01-28-2002, 04:31 PM
Slim,
What's wrong with white bread?

And how do you avoid spiking insulin levels in the morning right after a bowl of cereal full of sugar?

the doc
01-28-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Slim Schaedle
white breadtuttut

well he wants an insulin spike so whats your issue here?

Slim Schaedle
01-28-2002, 05:57 PM
thats right...nevermind......eat your your bread:p

BB_Classic
01-28-2002, 06:06 PM
At the morning your insulin is sensitive, so if you want to gain a good amount of energy, then thast your choice.

Spiking insulin depends on GI number. The higher number, the faster you'll spike your insulin. Althoug, it can lead to diabetes.
Peace

BB_Classic
01-28-2002, 06:08 PM
Here is my article that I posted in bodybuilding.com

"What's crackin' peeps,

Note: This is for average, or experienced bodybuilders. If a beginner just starts off and doesn't know what I'm talking about, just PM me.

Have anyone been wondering what GI Scale is? And what does it do? If you want the answers then read next...

GI Scale
GI Scale stands for Glycemic Index Scale. A Glycemic Index of food is a ranking of foods from 0-100, based on their immediate effect on blood glucose (blood sugar) levels. Carbohydrates that break down quickly during their digestion, have high glycemic scale. That means their blood sugar response is fast and high. Carbohydrates that breakdown slowly, releasing glucose into the blood stream, have low glycemic index.

Now, let's get to the main idea...

What is so significant about Glycemic Index?

Low GI means a smaller rise in blood sugar and can help control established diabetes

Low GI diets can help people lose weight and lower blood lipids

Low GI diets can improve the body's sensitivity to insulin

High GI foods can help re-fuel carbohydrate stores after exercise

by Glycemic Index Book

How to switch to low GI diet?

Breakfast cereals based on wheat bran, barley and oats

"Grainy" breads made with whole seeds

Pasta and rice in place of potatoes

Vinegar and lemon juice dressings

by Glycemic Index Book

Glycemic Index of the foods is a measure of the power of foods to raise glucose levels after being eaten. (Specifically in foods, carbohydrates are the power) You cannot just measure the GI rating of the food by just looking at it or tasting it. Around the world, only a few nutrition groups provide us with the information about GI rating of foods.
In the near future, many more foods are likely to carry the GI rating of the foods on their nutrition panel.

Imroptant!!!
Studies show that due to their slow absorption and digestion, low GI diet produces gradual rises in blood sugar and insulin levels, and has proven benefits for health.
High GI diet can lead to diseases such as diabetes, coronary heart disease, etc...especially for old people.

The example of GI rating of foods would be this:
Note: The range of the GI Scale is from 0 to 100
Note #2: The high GI foods are ranging from 60 and above. Everything underneath 60 are low GI foods.

Breads Their GI

White bread, 70

Wholemeal bread, 69

Pumpernickel, 41

Dark rye, 76

Sourdough, 57

Heavy mixed grain, 30-45

Breakfast cereals Their GI

Cornflakes, 84

Rice Bubbles, 82

Cheerios, 83

Puffed Wheat, 80

All Bran, 42

Porridge, 46

etc...

Note #3: High GI foods are used to spike insulin. For more info about spiking insulin, ask me.

Anything that wasn't understoodable, tell me.
I hope that helped people understand what GI Scale is...

by John"
Peace

Slim Schaedle
01-28-2002, 06:19 PM
also "the doc" posted an interesting article about this in this forum. Look for "insulin index"

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-29-2002, 05:20 AM
Doc posted about the insulin index, Slim. they are two different concepts.

Brahms
01-29-2002, 10:43 PM
BB_Classic,
That was a good explanation of GI Index. But what about whole wheat bread? What is the GI index of that one?

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-30-2002, 05:54 AM
Brahms. (http://www.mendosa.com/dws-gi_list.htm)

Slim Schaedle
01-30-2002, 10:14 AM
Doc posted about the insulin index, Slim. they are two different concepts

:bang: :scratch: