PDA

View Full Version : Baked Beans

BostonBull
05-25-2006, 06:18 PM
I have been eating a can with dinner 3-4 nights a week for about a month now. I love them. Great protein, fat and fiber. Aside from makig you fart and have soft **** is there any probelm with eating these? Yes they fit into my macros but are they a bead choice for food?

arya202
05-25-2006, 06:22 PM
Maybe tin can poisoning?

I don't know...

getfit
05-25-2006, 06:22 PM
it's fine

getfit
05-25-2006, 06:23 PM
i do prefer buying my beans in bulk though, not in a can

Stumprrp
05-25-2006, 06:33 PM
I F-ING LOVE BEANS, i ate a pound once, 1000+ cals!! anyways, there very good for you although i get serious gas also.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-25-2006, 06:52 PM
I looked at the back of Bush's Baked Beans and it had like 2 grams of salt in half a cup. That's insane.

TECHO
05-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Try "Beano"

TechMetalMan
05-25-2006, 11:18 PM
Only bad thing is sodium as has been mentioned.

Getfit- how do you prepare them? I have never made raw beans but it seems like an attractive choice.

TECHO
05-25-2006, 11:30 PM
Since she's logged out, I'll share! :D

Follow directions on bag.. <_<

Last bag of dry beans I bought were pintos. I had to pre-cook/soak them for 1.5 hours or so (or you can soak them in cold water over night). Drain. Add more water up to the level suggested. Add 2-4 strips of yummy bacon, raw. Maybe a few chives if you'd like, some spices to your liking, etc. I did mine pretty plain. Just the bacon, and then part way through I added a few cups of cooked brown rice. After they were pretty much done, I took some flour and mixed it with water. Stirred it in to thicken into a soup-like consistency. Then I ate it. With tortillas. It was gewd.

One bag made an ENORMOUS amount of beans, too.. holy crap. They're like 1-2$ for a bag and it's enough to feed a large family.

TechMetalMan
05-25-2006, 11:33 PM

Last bag of dry beans I bought were pintos. I had to pre-cook/soak them for 1.5 hours or so (or you can soak them in cold water over night). Drain. Add more water up to the level suggested. Add 2-4 strips of yummy bacon, raw. Maybe a few chives if you'd like, some spices to your liking, etc. I did mine pretty plain. Just the bacon, and then part way through I added a few cups of cooked brown rice. After they were pretty much done, I took some flour and mixed it with water. Stirred it in to thicken into a soup-like consistency. Then I ate it. With tortillas. It was gewd.

One bag made an ENORMOUS amount of beans, too.. holy crap. They're like 1-2$ for a bag and it's enough to feed a large family.

Hey man, thanks! I love adding spices and things to meals so I will have a good time with this.

So just presoak and then throw them in a pot and coil them for a few hours?

TECHO
05-26-2006, 12:18 AM
Pretty much! Good luck. And don't follow my cooking directions exactly.. that's just to give you an idea of how long it will take.. approx. Definitely follow the directions for cooking on the bag.. :D

TechMetalMan
05-26-2006, 12:25 AM
Cool man. Thanks again!

Lookin forward to it :)

getfit
05-26-2006, 03:06 AM

yep :D i just boil them until ready (soft) and then put them in salads, rice,veggie stew etc..

Saint Patrick
05-26-2006, 09:32 AM
They're good for your heart :)

TechMetalMan
05-26-2006, 01:28 PM
They're good for your heart :)

Are they?

Or are you simply referring to the joke?

kpd
05-26-2006, 01:30 PM
I love t3h beans.

Guido
05-26-2006, 01:58 PM
Mmmmmmmm. Lima Beans.... :drooling:

UrbanSmooth
05-26-2006, 10:13 PM
*Flatulates*

Well, I guess there's no hidin' it. I've had my share. :redface:

smokeybair
05-27-2006, 02:10 AM
i buy bushes baked beans. dump them out in a big tupperware contianer. and then fill it with water. mix beans and water. then drain. do this 2 or 3 times and it takes out alot of the sodium and sugar in the gravy. they still taste great rinsed and much healthier.

Tim Wescott
05-28-2006, 08:37 AM
Lots of sugar and sodium in most canned baked beans..they taste great but there are far better choices if you are serious about your diet.

Try:
Black Beans
Pinto Beans
Chick Peas
Blackeye Peas
Kidney Beans

All better choices from a nutritional point of view!!

UrbanSmooth
05-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Lots of sugar and sodium in most canned baked beans..they taste great but there are far better choices if you are serious about your diet.

Try:
Black Beans
Pinto Beans
Chick Peas
Blackeye Peas
Kidney Beans

All better choices from a nutritional point of view!!

Canned, or dry? I hate the way dry beans turn out. The canned variety is much more efficient.

Tim Wescott
05-28-2006, 07:45 PM
I`d eat either as opposed to baked beans,they just have too much in the way of sugar and additives for my taste.

bigedge
05-29-2006, 10:37 PM
are baked beans in the US/Canada different to Aussie baked beans? we dont get ours dry they come in a can usually w/ tomato sauce, here is a picture..
http://www.gtp.com.au/aussiefoods/mediumimages/HZBB.jpg

getfit
05-30-2006, 02:59 AM
are baked beans in the US/Canada different to Aussie baked beans? we dont get ours dry they come in a can usually w/ tomato sauce, here is a picture..
http://www.gtp.com.au/aussiefoods/mediumimages/HZBB.jpg
don't they have a place where you can buy dried beans in bulk? i never use beans out of a can

bigedge
05-30-2006, 03:44 AM
^^
i dont think so not that ive ever seen... how come you dont like beans out of a can?

BostonBull
06-02-2006, 10:10 PM
I buy Bushs or B &M baked beans. Over here they are usually in a molasses and brown sugar brown sauce...mmmmmmmmm I had a can with supper tonight.