PDA

View Full Version : Irritation from Creatine/Protein?

EightNTheBox
05-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Hello, I just started taking Creatine/Protein again in the last three weeks. I used to take it back in high school but stopped. In the last week I have begun to get minor irritation and more perspiration than normal from my armpits. I seem to remember this same thing happening in high school.

What gives? Is this normal, or does it mean I shouldn't be taking this stuff? Or will it go away?

Thanks.

UrbanSmooth
05-26-2006, 10:08 PM
I recommend going natural. Natural is permanent. Creatine is temporary.

WORLD
05-26-2006, 10:34 PM
Maybe your body is just trying to adapt to it, give it some time...Also, are you drinking lots of water while your on creatine?

WORLD
05-26-2006, 10:36 PM

True, but I will have to say I dont agree with your view on creatine. Even though that extra energy from creatine will go away once you stop taking it, the muscle that it helped build will stay.. as long as you eat and train to keep it there, of course.

EightNTheBox
05-26-2006, 10:39 PM
Yes, all I drink is water and sometimes a beer or two on weekends. I have noticed an energy spike and did not realize that was a side attribute of creatine.

I took a year off from football and am now training for it again.

WORLD
05-26-2006, 10:42 PM
Yes, all I drink is water and sometimes a beer or two on weekends. I have noticed an energy spike and did not realize that was a side attribute of creatine.

I took a year off from football and am now training for it again.

Yeah. Well the only time you will notice that extra energy is during your workouts, while your trying to push out that last rep or two... Lets not get it confused with extra energy during the day...

UrbanSmooth
05-26-2006, 10:55 PM
Creatine can be dangerous and fluctuates levels in the body. A natural approach will get you the results you want, just not in the same amount of time.

mikey4402
05-26-2006, 11:12 PM
Creatine can be dangerous and fluctuates levels in the body. A natural approach will get you the results you want, just not in the same amount of time.
ummm creatine is found in the food you eat...creatine is not dangerous. i would like to know where you read this from

mikey4402
05-26-2006, 11:14 PM
to the OP i have never heard nor do i see how this can be the result of taking creatine

Mercuryblade
05-27-2006, 01:47 AM
ummm creatine is found in the food you eat...creatine is not dangerous.

There is alot of stuff found in the food we eat that is not considered dangerous, just because it's "natural" doesn't mean its safe, the creatine found in creatine supplements is much higher than the creatine our body naturally produces or that is found in our food. There have been no long term studies on the affects of taking creatine for extended periods of time. There are is also no solid evidence about harmful side effects, although if you are not careful about getting enough water you can damage your kidneys.

You are probably giong to take it no matter what people say on this board. Personally, until the stuff's been around longer and there have been more studies on it, I won't touch it.

Nosaj
05-27-2006, 04:19 AM
What gives? Is this normal, or does it mean I shouldn't be taking this stuff? Or will it go away?.

Creatine helps with water retention so you have to be drinking enough water in the first place. Increased protien in your diet should not be giving you any irritation. I would try upping your water intake, and if the irritation levels don't go away, and you're unhappy with it, stop taking the creatine. There are lots of other ways to get energy during a workout so maybe look up an alternative. Creatine is by no means essential to achieving your goals so just find what works for you.

P.S. I don't agree with the skepticism about Creatine and needing lots of long term tests before using it. I would label it a mild suppliment at worst (as long as water intake is high) as far as side effects/danger go.

Holto
05-27-2006, 10:30 AM

URBAN:

You're a cool guy but how about you stick around and give yourself a couple years of learning before you start dishing out advice.

Holto
05-27-2006, 10:32 AM
You are probably giong to take it no matter what people say on this board. Personally, until the stuff's been around longer and there have been more studies on it, I won't touch it.

Is 10 and 15 years long enough?

How about NCAA football players that took 20grams/day for 22 months and suffered no ill effects.

Have a look here:

scholar.google.com

UrbanSmooth
05-27-2006, 09:34 PM
Of course I'm a cool guy.

betastas
05-27-2006, 10:51 PM
I don't normally use creatine mainly because I will spend the money on something else, such as a side of beef or a turkey. It will work to a larger degree for some people, and less for others. I have seen size gains due to creatine, but I think it has more of a pyschological effect on my lifting performance. Now, I lift with more intensity and grit without it. It's preference I suppose, but if you are getting a rash from it... that would be the first I have heard. You don't use anti-perspirant do you?

Mercuryblade
05-28-2006, 02:24 AM
Is 10 and 15 years long enough?

How about NCAA football players that took 20grams/day for 22 months and suffered no ill effects.

Have a look here:

scholar.google.com

I'm talking long term damage that could be unforseen, take skin cancer, you can bake the crap out your skin, the sunburn that you have now won't develop into cancer 10-20-30 years down the road. This is all kind of an arbitrary argument (on my part), because of the nature of cancer, which I won't get into. I'm just using it as an example. But you don't know what this stuff is doing to your body that could be harmful.

Taking creatine at high doses for 2 years and seeing no side effects doesn't mean its 100% safe.

EightNTheBox
05-28-2006, 05:10 AM
I do use anti-perspirant.. but I have been for a while. I live in New Zealand and have no car so its tough to get a stick instead of roll-on.. shouldn't matter though, I've been using this stuff since I got here and it hasn't irritated.

Clifford Gillmore
05-28-2006, 07:46 AM
I do use anti-perspirant.. but I have been for a while. I live in New Zealand and have no car so its tough to get a stick instead of roll-on.. shouldn't matter though, I've been using this stuff since I got here and it hasn't irritated.

Its not that hard man, any local supermarket has more than 15 lines of the stuff. Catch a bus.

motoko013
05-28-2006, 08:05 AM
I'm talking long term damage that could be unforseen, take skin cancer, you can bake the crap out your skin, the sunburn that you have now won't develop into cancer 10-20-30 years down the road. This is all kind of an arbitrary argument (on my part), because of the nature of cancer, which I won't get into. I'm just using it as an example. But you don't know what this stuff is doing to your body that could be harmful.

Taking creatine at high doses for 2 years and seeing no side effects doesn't mean its 100% safe.

that's your decision....you said yourself there has been no evidence to support that creatine supplementation will cause harm...plus, creatine is created in your body and found in foods we eat...it's considered a natural nutrient...how can supplementing a natural nutrient be dangerous? the creatine that is not used turns into creatinine and pissed out

Goodwinm
05-28-2006, 08:12 AM
Ive never used creatine ever. I spose if i took it then it wud make a big difference. Howevver i was under the impression that if you stop taking it you lose it. Maybe just my ignoreance or own stupidity but hey thats what i thought.

WORLD
05-28-2006, 09:25 AM
If you think creatine can be potentially harmful in the long run, then maybe we should all think twice about getting into our cars and driving...

Slim Schaedle
05-28-2006, 10:13 AM
Yeah. Well the only time you will notice that extra energy is during your workouts, while your trying to push out that last rep or two... Lets not get it confused with extra energy during the day...
So phosphocreatine recognizes the fact that someone is in the gym using weights and assists in regeneration of ATP from ADP only then, but "decides" not to do this any other time of the day?

betastas
05-28-2006, 10:17 AM

Try changing brands anyways. Anti-persirants can do some wacky things due to minor changes. I've known a few people rash up with a brand they have used for years. Either a change in the formula or even perhaps a change in body chemistries. If it doesn't help, then that's one thing that we know isn't causing it.

WORLD
05-28-2006, 10:47 AM
So phosphocreatine recognizes the fact that someone is in the gym using weights and assists in regeneration of ATP from ADP only then, but "decides" not to do this any other time of the day?

Im talking about during the day when he doesnt need it. I think he was talking about an energy boost as if he drank an energy drink. If your muscles needed it during the day during an activity, of course it would work the same way as when he was lifting weights.

Slim Schaedle
05-28-2006, 11:02 AM
Good deal

UrbanSmooth
05-28-2006, 12:11 PM
Forget creatine. If you want to really pump up, just go steroids. Shoot, it helped Barry Bonds.

Mercuryblade
05-28-2006, 07:05 PM
You know the natural form of steroids (which is synthetic testosterone), is testosterone, I think I will start taking it, because its natural and my body already makes it, so it must be safe.