PDA

View Full Version : i need some advice on gaining some muscle mass!!

wild
01-23-2002, 04:48 PM
:help:

im 17, i weigh 155lb and im 5'11.
i started workin out 7 months ago and although i've made some significant improvements in muscle shape and fitness but my weight still varies from 155-160lb. Im pretty certain that im not making significant muscle gains because im not getting enough protein, but the problem is im finding it impossible to get the recommended amounts in my diet.. 1gm per lb. i eat a lot but its not cutting it.. the catch is i don't want to use any protein supplements..and i don't want to over do the meat cause of long term health risks but i still eat a lot of chicken and fish..
can someone please give me any advice they think would help my situation

thanks

Zalxder
01-23-2002, 05:03 PM
i really have the same prob. ive been 170 forevor. ive been told you just gotta eat more. get like 3000 cal. a day and dont be too stingy on fats and everything. just get as much protein as possible. make sure your routine is good too. you could be over working or underworking, or just not working right. also make sure you drink lots of water, because just recently ive been drinking alot more water and some difference is noticable. your also only 16 so your not gonna get too big.

Adam
01-23-2002, 05:18 PM
Your going to have to up your calories and protein. If you dont want to eat red meat then eat tuna and lots of chicken. Milk is a great way to get easy protien and calories.

wild
01-23-2002, 06:28 PM
does the fact that im 17 actually make a difference in gaining muscle?:help:

Scooby-Doo
01-23-2002, 06:55 PM
Yes, when your a teenager you naturally have higher levels of testosteone an GH in your body. These hormones help stimulate your body to build more muscle. Just make sure you eat enough. Since you dont want to use any supplements or eat to much meat, you should drink plenty of low-fat/skim milk. Its high in protien and it has some extra calories.

wild
01-23-2002, 08:18 PM
then i don't understand.
in the first case the guy said im not gonna get big at this age.. but you just told me at this age you produce more hormones that cause you to build more muscle.
another thing, to make significant muscle gains without supplements, would i become fatter.. to the point where i lose my abs..
does aerobic exercise like jogging 5-10km 3 days a week counteract the gain?

heathj
01-23-2002, 08:20 PM
But you won't be as a big as let's say, someone who has been training for 10 years.

Scooby-Doo
01-23-2002, 08:28 PM
Also if you dont consume enough food your body wont have the fuel to grow. To grow you must east more calories then you can burn off.

Zalxder
01-24-2002, 04:12 PM
i say just eat a lot of low fat high protein food, seems to work well, and make sure its quality food, like eggs, not chips and hamburgers from mcdonalds

wild
01-27-2002, 06:31 PM
it is possible to make significant muscle gains with natural foods and make the same progress as if u were taking supplements?
because my friend has been telling me the guy who works at his gym tells him you need to take the supplements.. naturally, this guy is probably just trying to con my friend to buy his stuff.. but he put up a convincing argument...

Neil
01-27-2002, 11:53 PM
If you want to get big then you need to get your protein, if you don't want to take supplements then you'd better eat a lot. Thats it. If you are not willing to do what it takes then don't complain when you get no results.

beercan
01-28-2002, 05:55 AM
That guy is a clown. You'd make better gains off of just natural foods, and no supplements, provided you can pack your meals with you wherever you go.

Maki Riddington
01-28-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by beercan
That guy is a clown. You'd make better gains off of just natural foods, and no supplements, provided you can pack your meals with you wherever you go.

*** The "condom breaker" speaks the truth.

Neil
01-28-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by beercan

Was that directed at me? The reason for supplements is convenience. How many meals a day do you think he should eat? I say 6+ a postworkout drink. I agree that you will make better gains off solid foods but most people don't have the time to eat 6 meals a day and meal replacements make it a lot easier. Especially when it comes to protein. If you are having a hard time getting protein there is nothing wrong with a couple scoops of powder a day to help you hit your daily intake.

wild
01-28-2002, 02:24 PM
they are convenient but i was always worried about the long term health risks.. i've read all over the net about doctors and whatever other professionals warning of all sorts of dangers..

and another thing, if you work out say..3 days a week, should you have 1gram of protein per lb everyday or just the days you work out? and when tryin to gain muscle, should u do little to no cardio? http://www.intense-workout.com/same.html
does this guy know what hes talking about? because i thought u didn't really have to put on that much fat to gain

Neil
01-28-2002, 05:09 PM
When I say supplements I am mainly talking about meal replacements. As far as I know they don't have any health risks. As far as prohormones and some of the other stuff on the market goes I'm really not sure about that stuff so you may want to ask around before you try any of those:)

irish mike
01-28-2002, 05:12 PM
a can of tuna on toasted whole grain bread will give you around 50 grams that's a third of what you're shooting for.