PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on bulking, I am feeling full just looking at the plate. Help.

tsmithy
05-29-2006, 07:24 AM
I have been bulking hard for the last few weeks and have got up to 72kg which i am very proud off, I am only 5'6 and light boned. I have been increasing incline bench by 2.2KG per week and went from 4 reps on 85kg to my now 3 reps on 92.2. I want to attempt 94.6KG or possibly 95kg in 3 days time. Guns are 15.5 cold and I desperatly want to get into the 16 plus club.

I have been eating 6 meals a day and actually find the eating harder than the work outs to the point I have started to find the taste of chicken almost repulsive and sometimes feel like vommiting but have to force the food down to keep gaining. I have a fast metabolism despite being 35 yrs old and do not need any cardio unless i want to cut, i must somehow increase my calories.

I am eating oats, 4 slices bread for break fast, a lump of chicken and a soy yougurt for meal no 2, a rice meal with thai chicken and powerbar + peperami stick for meal 3.
Meal 4 is rice, salmon and pasta sauce. meal 5 is rice chicken and pasta sauce. meal 6 is rice tuna, frozen veggies and pasta source.

The diet has been working becuase lifts are significantly more than my body weight and my strength is increasing faster than my weight.

I really want to gain more weight and get above 75KG to have a chance at decent reps on 2 big wheels on the incline bench.

I have steered away from weight gain poweders becuase they seem to bloat me and i put on fat.

Has anyone any advice, I seem to be constantly cooking , eating and feel full all the time but know I must eat more if I want to continue to progress. I am pretty much sick of all the food but love lifting so much, I know I must continue.

I just wondered if there is any kind of mindset i should be in to make it easier or has anyone any suggestions how I can make the eating more fun.

Note. I can,t eat any dairy becuase I have an alergy to milk so whey protien is off the menu.

Songsangnim
05-29-2006, 07:35 AM
I have been bulking hard for the last few weeks and have got up to 72kg which i am very proud off, I am only 5'6 and light boned. I have been increasing incline bench by 2.2KG per week and went from 4 reps on 85kg to my now 3 reps on 92.2. I want to attempt 94.6KG or possibly 95kg in 3 days time. Guns are 15.5 cold and I desperatly want to get into the 16 plus club.

I have been eating 6 meals a day and actually find the eating harder than the work outs to the point I have started to find the taste of chicken almost repulsive and sometimes feel like vommiting but have to force the food down to keep gaining. I have a fast metabolism despite being 35 yrs old and do not need any cardio unless i want to cut, i must somehow increase my calories.

I am eating oats, 4 slices bread for break fast, a lump of chicken and a soy yougurt for meal no 2, a rice meal with thai chicken and powerbar + peperami stick for meal 3.
Meal 4 is rice, salmon and pasta sauce. meal 5 is rice chicken and pasta sauce. meal 6 is rice tuna, frozen veggies and pasta source.

The diet has been working becuase lifts are significantly more than my body weight and my strength is increasing faster than my weight.

I really want to gain more weight and get above 75KG to have a chance at decent reps on 2 big wheels on the incline bench.

I have steered away from weight gain poweders becuase they seem to bloat me and i put on fat.

Has anyone any advice, I seem to be constantly cooking , eating and feel full all the time but know I must eat more if I want to continue to progress. I am pretty much sick of all the food but love lifting so much, I know I must continue.

I just wondered if there is any kind of mindset i should be in to make it easier or has anyone any suggestions how I can make the eating more fun.

Note. I can,t eat any dairy becuase I have an alergy to milk so whey protien is off the menu.

Could you list your routine for us? Days, sets, reps, and exercises.

How much sleep/rest do you get?

Built
05-29-2006, 12:16 PM
Ditch the soy and the protein bars, and add in more fats would be my first suggestions.

Post up your macros.

SaVvY
05-29-2006, 12:40 PM

if your not really hungry you should not be eating, a lot of people make this mistake when bulking an end up just puting a load of fat on

you need to be doing more in the gym an make your body need more muscle - when this happens you will get hungry, when your hungry you should eat

Built
05-29-2006, 12:59 PM
if your not really hungry you should not be eating, a lot of people make this mistake when bulking an end up just puting a load of fat on

you need to be doing more in the gym an make your body need more muscle - when this happens you will get hungry, when your hungry you should eat

This strategy would result is a LOT of VERY skinny guys. Some folks just do NOT have an appetite.

I hate these people, by the way. :cry:

SaVvY
05-29-2006, 01:47 PM
This strategy would result is a LOT of VERY skinny guys. Some folks just do NOT have an appetite.

I hate these people, by the way. :cry:
this strategy has gained me 70lbs in the past 6 months with 1% body fat increase (without steroids)

there is no point in eating a ton but not stimulating your muscles - when your body needs the food it will tell you by being hungry, if your doing it right you wont spend long not being hungry

radioheadhead
05-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Some folks just do NOT have an appetite.

that's me. I just about kill myself trying to get 2800 to 3000 calories/day. My wife is jealous, too.:smoke:

seK
05-29-2006, 02:36 PM
that's me. I just about kill myself trying to get 2800 to 3000 calories/day. My wife is jealous, too.:smoke:
On my last bulk I took shots of olive oil to boost up my cal's and fat's. But then again I could eat 3k cal's just for breakfast every morning. :P

Andre3000
05-29-2006, 02:42 PM
Get it out of your head that you're full. Its purely psychological.

RedSpikeyThing
05-29-2006, 03:19 PM
this strategy has gained me 70lbs in the past 6 months with 1% body fat increase (without steroids)

there is no point in eating a ton but not stimulating your muscles - when your body needs the food it will tell you by being hungry, if your doing it right you wont spend long not being hungry

Congrats. Clearly you represent everyone.

Not really....there are definately hormones involved and your stomach has a maximum it can hold.

To the OP:
You need to eat more calorie dense foods. Try adding more condiments to your food, like mayonaise and olive oil. Drink more of your calories in the form of shakes; add oatmeal, olive oil, fruit, vegetables, instant breakfast, eggs, etc.
I believe you can get protein supplements that do not have dairy in them...egg based, I guess. Someone mentioned in another thread they found a hemp protein powder.
Prepare more of your food in advance...put aside a sunday afternoon and go wild for the week. Tupperware is your friend! The food needs to be convenient so you don't feel like you're cooking all the time.

Hope that helps!

Progress
05-29-2006, 03:37 PM
Do you drink milk? If you do, drink it after a meal, not before. At least for me it curbs my appetite. I'm also the type who needs to force food or workup my appetite when I work out. On off days I rarely get hungry.

SaVvY
05-29-2006, 04:35 PM
Congrats. Clearly you represent everyone.

Not really....there are definately hormones involved and your stomach has a maximum it can hold.

To the OP:
You need to eat more calorie dense foods. Try adding more condiments to your food, like mayonaise and olive oil. Drink more of your calories in the form of shakes; add oatmeal, olive oil, fruit, vegetables, instant breakfast, eggs, etc.
I believe you can get protein supplements that do not have dairy in them...egg based, I guess. Someone mentioned in another thread they found a hemp protein powder.
Prepare more of your food in advance...put aside a sunday afternoon and go wild for the week. Tupperware is your friend! The food needs to be convenient so you don't feel like you're cooking all the time.

Hope that helps!
you think that because i dont represent everyone im doing something wrong?

Built
05-29-2006, 05:21 PM
Hmmm... I don't read it that way. I think RedSpike was suggesting what you do isn't generalizable.

Personally, I can NOT rely on hunger or satiety to control my weight. You can, and that's great.

charles_316
05-29-2006, 06:14 PM
eating is sooooo good...

for me, i jus train hard, be more active and the activities make me become more hungry

SpecialK
05-29-2006, 07:57 PM
For 2 years I "ate till I was full" while lifting and I didn't gain a lb.

Then I started tracking my calories and ate till I met my requirements and suddenly I started to grow.

For some people, appetite is an accurate gauge of calories necessary to grow, but not for others. The best way is just to track the numbers - weigh yourself every morning and track cals on fitday. If your are eating until you are full but aren't gaining a pound, then clearly you can't trust your appetite.

The Zach
05-29-2006, 08:13 PM
False.

Progress
05-29-2006, 08:14 PM
False.

Proof?

HeavyBomber
05-29-2006, 08:25 PM
this strategy has gained me 70lbs in the past 6 months with 1% body fat increase (without steroids)...[clip]...

Wow! That's unreal!

The Zach
05-29-2006, 09:39 PM
Proof?
Your stomach is a finite space. It can therefore only take so much food.
:rolleyes: :whip:

RedSpikeyThing
05-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Proof?

Not the greatest of sources, but read up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptin

RBB
05-29-2006, 09:47 PM

i'm gonna have to call bull**** on this one. that would be quite a feat even with gear. if you have any proof of this i'd be glad to eat my words, but until then i've got to say you're full of ****.

tsmithy, i'd suggest you start tracking calories on fitday. figure out exactly what you need to grow. after that, if you're having trouble with appetite try a weight gainer to get in the extra cals. a lot of my calories are liquid when bulking. cytogainer, n-large, whatever you can get ahold of would definitely help you out.

SpecialK
05-29-2006, 09:51 PM
Your stomach is a finite space. It can therefore only take so much food.
:rolleyes: :whip:

Right but that doesn't mean that just because you "feel" full that your stomach is completely full.

Like I said, sometimes when bulking I "feel" full long before I'm done eating.

RedSpikeyThing
05-29-2006, 10:00 PM
Right but that doesn't mean that just because you "feel" full that your stomach is completely full.

Since you seem to have missed it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptin

The Zach
05-29-2006, 10:06 PM

He said purely psychological.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
05-29-2006, 10:17 PM
He said purely psychological.It's both psychological and physiological.

Songsangnim
05-30-2006, 04:12 AM
Gentlemen, let's not hijack the thread.

OP: It seems that you only work chest and arms given your first (and so far only) post in this thread. At least it seems you are only concerned about those. If this is indeed the case work your entire body including legs and back and you may find your problem solved..

Clifford Gillmore
05-30-2006, 04:34 AM
Isn't it quite comical that we envy people if they are in an opposite state to what we are? People who bulk wish they didn't have to eat in excess. People who cut wish they did have to be eating in excess.

I laugh.

tsmithy
05-30-2006, 05:20 AM
Thanks for advice guys, some great ideas on fine tunning the diet with some olive oil and maybe soy protien shakes with no dairy protien powers, as for my workouts :- on a split. 1 hour max length of work out, I also sleep from about 11pm until 8am, it helps that i no longer have a girlfriend.

Back and Chest ended up on the same day becuase i was doing jutitsu/Kempo 3 days a week but found they work well together. i have now stopped Jujitsu.

I have found less = more, i do one heavy set and thats made me grow faster than when i tried 3 or 4 per big body part.

When i say heavy set that means 3-6 reps and the weight is heavy to me, I am also using baby steps to increase the poundage and this has worked very well on t bar rows.

I am using fairly low volume and find it makes me grow as much as higher volume and saves me from feeling over trained.

Monday.

Shoulder.

Front shoulder press on Smith Machine. 1 heavy set and 1 medium.
Bar bell Front rows for 5 sets.
Front laterals for 4 sets
Side lats for 3 sets
Rear Delts for 3 sets.

Thursday Chest/back/Tricepts.

Benchpress on incline 1 heavy set followed by 1 set of paused reps.
Power pressing for 2 sets on machine. (just like Dorian Yates did but with less weights)
Peck Deck 1 intense set for 8 reps.
Weighted Dips

Back.

1 heavy(for me) set of T bar rows
2 Sets of lat pull downs to front
2 Sets of rowing.

Tricepts.

French Press curls 2 sets
Narrow grip bench 2 sets
Narrow elbow push downs 2 sets
2 sets of rope pulldowns flairing at the bottom.

Friday(light workout - my short term goal is bench press and arm size) -i have previosly done a fair of squatting(front) with full range of motion below horizontal and dumbell lunges and will revert back to this once i fullfill my bench short term target. If i work all my body too hard I feel burnt out so fins its best to either focus on one area for 6 or 8 weeks and then swap around. I will revert back to legs in about 1 month and give chest a rest.

Legs(I cut this back becuase of the jujitsu but thats fionsihed for the while)

1 set of light squats and ham string curls 3 sets. this sounds lazy but I am going to switch to crazy leg workouts 4 weeks.

Sunday.

Bicepts
2 sets of heavy dumbell curls 6-7 reps on each hand
1 Set of Ez bar preacher curls with elows in.
3 Sets of kneeling down cable curls with a full stretch at bottom.

Calves

3 Sets of Donkey
3 Sets of Seated.

Abs Use a rope to lean forward and curl 3 sets. (I know thats lazy).

Thats pretty much it.

In 4 weeks I am going to witch my focus on legs for 6 weeks.

Let me know if I am way out here? I

SaVvY
05-30-2006, 07:07 AM
i'm gonna have to call bull**** on this one. that would be quite a feat even with gear. if you have any proof of this i'd be glad to eat my words, but until then i've got to say you're full of ****.

tsmithy, i'd suggest you start tracking calories on fitday. figure out exactly what you need to grow. after that, if you're having trouble with appetite try a weight gainer to get in the extra cals. a lot of my calories are liquid when bulking. cytogainer, n-large, whatever you can get ahold of would definitely help you out.
i have a detailed log for the whole time except for the first 6 weeks, pictures @ 188lbs, 203lbs, 217lbs, and 245lbs - literally thousands of people have seen this, it was all on my old website

the log is now on my new website, an my new website is for myself only atm

SaVvY
05-30-2006, 07:17 AM
Thanks for advice guys, some great ideas on fine tunning the diet with some olive oil and maybe soy protien shakes with no dairy protien powers, as for my workouts :- on a split. 1 hour max length of work out, I also sleep from about 11pm until 8am, it helps that i no longer have a girlfriend.

Back and Chest ended up on the same day becuase i was doing jutitsu/Kempo 3 days a week but found they work well together. i have now stopped Jujitsu.

I have found less = more, i do one heavy set and thats made me grow faster than when i tried 3 or 4 per big body part.

When i say heavy set that means 3-6 reps and the weight is heavy to me, I am also using baby steps to increase the poundage and this has worked very well on t bar rows.

I am using fairly low volume and find it makes me grow as much as higher volume and saves me from feeling over trained.

Monday.

Shoulder.

Side lats for 3 sets
Rear Delts for 3 sets.

Thursday Chest/back/Tricepts.

Power pressing for 2 sets on machine. (just like Dorian Yates did but with less weights)
Weighted Dips

Back.

2 Sets of rowing.

Tricepts.

Narrow grip bench 2 sets

Friday(light workout - my short term goal is bench press and arm size) -i have previosly done a fair of squatting(front) with full range of motion below horizontal and dumbell lunges and will revert back to this once i fullfill my bench short term target. If i work all my body too hard I feel burnt out so fins its best to either focus on one area for 6 or 8 weeks and then swap around. I will revert back to legs in about 1 month and give chest a rest.

1 set of light squats and ham string curls 3 sets. this sounds lazy but I am going to switch to crazy leg workouts 4 weeks.

Sunday.

Bicepts

Calves

3 Sets of Donkey
3 Sets of Seated.

Thats pretty much it.

personally ill never have a routine thats anything like this - no offense, but i cant really see anything much that is right about it..

lazyness can be good on a bulk when your outside of the gym, but when your inside of the gym its a very bad thing

personally ill never have a routine thats anything like this

tsmithy
05-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks Savvy, can u give say where my routine is very wrong please, specifically?

I have modelled my chest routine on what dorian yates did and it is working well for me, was he doing things really wrong there, am using low volume and it works regardless of gear or no gear?

I am keeping volume to a min based on what i have seen other natural body builders doing. I have a copy of Ian Duckets Video and he also keeps his sets down, his routine is not that far removed from what I am doing except he uses dumbells.

If i can gain knowledge from u to change my routine and improve my strength and size I would be very please to find out the info, so if u could let me know I would be gratefull, if I can make faster progress on a different type of routine I would be interested to try it.

HahnB
05-30-2006, 05:32 PM

You gained appx. 60lbs of MUSCLE in 6 months, naturally-not possible. Either you don't know how to measure body fat, or somethings not right here. The weight gain is possible, in theory, but your body fat had to increase by more than 1% at that rate.

Margin Of Error
05-30-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanks Savvy, can u give say where my routine is very wrong please, specifically?

I have modelled my chest routine on what dorian yates did and it is working well for me, was he doing things really wrong there, am using low volume and it works regardless of gear or no gear?

I am keeping volume to a min based on what i have seen other natural body builders doing. I have a copy of Ian Duckets Video and he also keeps his sets down, his routine is not that far removed from what I am doing except he uses dumbells.

If i can gain knowledge from u to change my routine and improve my strength and size I would be very please to find out the info, so if u could let me know I would be gratefull, if I can make faster progress on a different type of routine I would be interested to try it.

Way too much auxiliary work man, biceps/calves dont need their own day. If you want something simple I would say:

Day 1 - Squats/Leg Press
Rest
Day 2 - Bench Press/Weighted Chin-ups/Weighted Dips.
Rest
Day 3 - Deadlift/Romanian DL

Given proper nutrition the above routine will turn anyone into a beast.

Songsangnim
05-30-2006, 08:58 PM

Monday.

(1) Shoulder.

Side lats for 3 sets
Rear Delts for 3 sets.

(2A) Thursday Chest/back/Tricepts.

Weighted Dips

(2B) Back.

2 Sets of rowing.

Tricepts.

Narrow grip bench 2 sets

(3) Friday(light workout - my short term goal is bench press and arm size) -i have previosly done a fair of squatting(front) with full range of motion below horizontal and dumbell lunges and will revert back to this once i fullfill my bench short term target. If i work all my body too hard I feel burnt out so fins its best to either focus on one area for 6 or 8 weeks and then swap around. I will revert back to legs in about 1 month and give chest a rest.

(4) 1 set of light squats and ham string curls 3 sets. this sounds lazy but I am going to switch to crazy leg workouts 4 weeks.

Sunday.

(5) Bicepts

Calves

3 Sets of Donkey
3 Sets of Seated.

Thats pretty much it.

(numbers are mine and indicate problems with said routine)

1. (a)Way too much shoulder work. (b) When you work chest and back you are also working shoulders. (c) Shoulders should come later in the routine. Always do chest and back FIRST, as shoulders assist in those movements and if the shoulders are tired, your chest and back will suffer.

2( B). T-bar is the only decent movement I see in there for back. Drop the rows and lat pulldowns. Deadlifts, chins, T-bar rows, bent over rows...those are the movements you need to focus on. These are compound movements which tend to build more mass and strength in your body. They are more difficult than lat pulldowns and seated rows, but by that same token they are more efficient. If you truly wish strength and size then pick 2-3 of those compounds and do them. In my opinion you should split back and chest workouts, it will work better in the long run.

2(A). When you work chest you work triceps. Keep the close-grip bench and ditch the rest of the triceps exercises. You should have more chest exercises than triceps. Flat bench and dips for about 3 sets of each. Don't worry about what Dorian Yates did/does. He is/was a genetically gifted bodybuilder who was on large amounts of steroids as well. Unless that applies to you, what Yates did in his workouts does NOT apply to you either.
Again split up chest and back.

3. If bench and arm size is what you want, then work your whole body. The body grows as a whole. Attempting to focus on certain parts or lifts will likely short-circuit your progress (unless you have great genetics or drug-assisted).

4. "Crazy" leg routines are not needed. Squat and leg press. About 3-4 sets of each and go hard on those. As it stands you are not doing enough work to see results.

5. Do not have a full day for biceps, calves and abs.

Split up chest and back. Put biceps with chest, and calves with legs.
Abs can be worked with any training day of your choice. Make Sunday a rest day. Try a M/W/F or T/Th/Sat split.

Focus on movements on the DAYS you do them, not for weeks on end. If you are doing bench on Monday focus on bench. If you are doing deadlift on Wednesday focus on deadlift, if you are doing legs on Friday focus on legs.

Once again, focusing only on certain movements or bodyparts for weeks or months on end will NOT help you. And you run the risk of developing muscle imbalances and increased risk of injury.

ddegroff
05-30-2006, 09:58 PM
^nailed it. I would add SLDL or GM on leg days.

EDIT: Oh yeah this is the Nutrition forum. I would add olive oil or like someone else said calorie dense food. A good one is nuts, a cup of almonds is almost 1000cals.

Songsangnim
05-30-2006, 11:19 PM
You gained appx. 60lbs of MUSCLE in 6 months, naturally-not possible. Either you don't know how to measure body fat, or somethings not right here. The weight gain is possible, in theory, but your body fat had to increase by more than 1% at that rate.

I'm with Mr HahnB here. I don't see how that is possible naturally. The 60 pounds is possible...just barely...but an increase of only 1% of bodyfat?

You must have measured wrong. Either that or you are the most gifted bodybuilder I have ever heard of in terms of genetics.

HahnB
05-30-2006, 11:30 PM
I'm with Mr HahnB here. I don't see how that is possible naturally. The 60 pounds is possible...just barely...but an increase of only 1% of bodyfat?

You must have measured wrong. Either that or you are the most gifted bodybuilder I have ever heard of in terms of genetics.

He's claiming 70, I was just saying if he only had a 1% increase in body fat I was estimating that 60 of it had to have been muscle, but I don't know how much he weighed at the beginning or end. I couldn't imagine gaining 70lbs of anything in 6 months, but I'm sure someone out there has done it before.

SaVvY
05-31-2006, 03:02 PM

ill end up having a detailed explainationon my website, explaining exactly what i do / why i gain so much..

but a couple of things is always train hard, if you wanna see big gains you gotta force them out of your body, you have to take your muscles completely out. You should never have a set day to workout in the gym, just have a set group of muscles that your gonna work next (pressing for instance), then when you stop aching or its hardly any ache, move on to that next workout. Mainly use big compound exercises that work lots of muscles - if theres a secret gym exercise for me it is sumo 'full squat' deadlift

always eat clean, always eat when your hungry, an if you wanna get big you better eat big - i eat kilos an kilos of food everyday without fail

SaVvY
05-31-2006, 03:08 PM
He's claiming 70, I was just saying if he only had a 1% increase in body fat I was estimating that 60 of it had to have been muscle, but I don't know how much he weighed at the beginning or end. I couldn't imagine gaining 70lbs of anything in 6 months, but I'm sure someone out there has done it before.
im not claiming anything, what i say is fact, dont matter if you think it is or not

i was 180lbs @ 14 % body fat / am now 250lbs @ 15 % body fat - 12.5lbs of the gain is body fat, the rest is muscle, water etc

ive asked a lot of people an nobody ive asked has matched these gains with or without steroids, at least in recent years - some have gained 100-150lbs in a couple of years, but most of that being fat

Davidelmo
05-31-2006, 04:24 PM
For 2 years I "ate till I was full" while lifting and I didn't gain a lb.

Then I started tracking my calories and ate till I met my requirements and suddenly I started to grow.

For some people, appetite is an accurate gauge of calories necessary to grow, but not for others. The best way is just to track the numbers - weigh yourself every morning and track cals on fitday. If your are eating until you are full but aren't gaining a pound, then clearly you can't trust your appetite.

Exactly.

I can't track by appetite at all. My appetite SUCKS and if I followed my stomach instead of my brain, i'd still weigh less than a girl.