PDA

View Full Version : Rest before...

Nik00117
05-29-2006, 08:57 AM
I hear weightlifters somtimes take a week break before lifting. Or somthing. My tryouts for football starts on August 21st. Now orginially I intended on working out up til that day. However now I was wondering would it be more beneficial for me to stop my work out on august 17 or so. Give my body a rest before try outs which largely will be checking what kinda physically condition we are in.

Bob
05-29-2006, 09:18 AM
Do you know what your tryouts are like? Any experience from last yr? from a friend? an older student, etc?

Most tryouts for HS Football aren't BP, Squat and DL.... they are about what you can do in game simulation? Are you smart enough to understand the plays? Can you execute them with excellant technique? Can you hit the hole, block the tackle, fill the gap, cover the reciever, etc...

Don't think you stop lifting as you get close to camp... b/c you still gotta keep lifting thru the season to keep your strength up...

Talk to your coaches... do they have some suggestions? have the schedule? tell them your program and your progress... and try to get their input. If they are good coaches, they will listen and give you advice. Doesn't mean you have to take it... but at least you have listened to them and they want that.

Nik00117
05-29-2006, 10:55 AM
Personnally be my first time joining a football team... My friends say its a lot of just physicall testing. Coachs jsut want to weed out the out of shape wanna be players. And no Ihave no intentions of stopping at lifting, just take abreak before the tryout so i'm at peak condition and not slightly sore or worn out from the preveious work out. I already know what their goal is, to weed out the ones that aren't tough enough to make it though, they basically will have us running and working out and just testing how far they can push us.

ddegroff
05-30-2006, 08:52 AM
I would say take a few extra days before tryouts so your fresh. After you start the football workouts, you will know what each day is gonna be like then you can add the workout back in.

Nik00117
05-30-2006, 11:26 AM
Bascially what I wanted to know, and no stopping to weightlift because of football heh no way. I mean I may not go to the gym as much because i'm getting a work out in football and all but yea i'll start a few days before, and resume after I ahve an idea of what it will be like.

Bam
05-30-2006, 11:33 PM
My coach gave us a week and a half off before summer work outs for a "deloading" phase and ive been worried about losing strength this whole time but he said we should go up some weight.