PDA

View Full Version : Posing can it help that much?

Ron Burgundy
05-30-2006, 04:27 PM
This guy has to be one of the best posers I personaly have ever seen, he's just amazing, how much do judges grant on posing?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NVWbiuTf1A

diesel_dan
05-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Wow, that is crazy. That guy is good.

getfit
05-30-2006, 04:34 PM
yeah, he's pretty good

Ron Burgundy
05-30-2006, 04:38 PM
Like I just watched Ronnie, and Ronnie doesnt even compair to this guy

Ronnie-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BzeSquJApk

There was one white guy that I saw who was huge like im assuming he was in mr olympia (not Jay Cutler) who had pretty good posing anyone know who im talking about?

cphafner
05-30-2006, 06:42 PM
It means little for the judges, it's really for the fans.

Kevin89
05-30-2006, 08:57 PM
man watching all those muscles move is crazy

Ron Burgundy
05-30-2006, 09:08 PM
They are pretty insane, I think it should matter to the judges, but I donno.

ederon
05-30-2006, 10:27 PM
All the scores are finalized by the time the prelims are done... usually for the evening show most bodybuilders already went to the nearest buffet for food and yes this is purely for the fans.

Keith
05-30-2006, 10:50 PM
On the same page, I also watched Flex Wheeler posing. Its funny to me, someone who I consider to have the best body out there cant pose for **** and doesnt even compare to Melvin Anthony. So who would win?
I dont even want to get into that because I still dont know what to believe in terms of judging bodybuilding.

Ron Burgundy
05-31-2006, 06:13 AM
True but I think preformance should be a factor, in my opinion

surfer16
05-31-2006, 06:53 AM
lmfao, omg i nearly cryed when he started dancing.
but seriously - his body is very impressive.

BCC
05-31-2006, 08:33 AM
Posing is what makes or breaks any bodybuilder. Not necessarily the posing routine though. The judges look more for confidence and charisma in routines.

KenT
05-31-2006, 09:15 AM
For NPC shows the 60 second posing routine without music during the judging is evaluated and included in the competitor's placement in the competition. The evening routine is not, because at that point the placments have all been determined except for the overall. Most competitors don't know, but the judging criteria are published on line at www.npcnewsonline.com under rules and regulations. You might be surprised to learn that neither striations nor vascularity are part of the judging criteria.

For the IFBB Pros, the evening posing routine counts as one of the rounds that is judged and scored with equal weight to the round of quarter turns (sometimes misleadingly labeled the "symmetry" round), and to the round of mandatory poses (sometimes misleadingly labeled the "muscularity" round).

KenT
05-31-2006, 09:52 AM
Should have mentioned...

What REALLY matters is how you do the mandatory poses during comparisons. THAT posing probably matters the most of any single factor.

Practice them folks. I've seen competitors literally give away a win because their mandatories were terrible.

Margin Of Error
05-31-2006, 10:10 AM
That guy is a damn good dancer for 240lbs.

Ron Burgundy
05-31-2006, 10:37 AM
Wanna see a damn good dancing bodybuilder look no furter
THis guy is amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxMnuGoljgA&search=bodybuilding%20robot

Keith
05-31-2006, 11:00 AM
LOL That guy is awesome. Seems to me he practices his dancing more than his posing though.

Nik00117
05-31-2006, 11:22 AM
LOL thats good.

Ron Burgundy
05-31-2006, 02:29 PM
How awesome is that guy, thats my future life, because im like unbelievable at the robot and im a lifter lol

Mercuryblade
05-31-2006, 10:54 PM
I want a badass back...

Gutz981
06-01-2006, 04:48 PM
Personally I've never been a huge fan of these creative posing routines. I just like the simple hardcore ones. I really enjoyed Ruhl in the 1999 Mr.O I think it was.

ederon
06-01-2006, 05:23 PM
For NPC shows the 60 second posing routine without music during the judging is evaluated and included in the competitor's placement in the competition. The evening routine is not, because at that point the placments have all been determined except for the overall. Most competitors don't know, but the judging criteria are published on line at www.npcnewsonline.com under rules and regulations. You might be surprised to learn that neither striations nor vascularity are part of the judging criteria.

For the IFBB Pros, the evening posing routine counts as one of the rounds that is judged and scored with equal weight to the round of quarter turns (sometimes misleadingly labeled the "symmetry" round), and to the round of mandatory poses (sometimes misleadingly labeled the "muscularity" round).

You have made perfect points, but i would have to disagree about the striation and vascularity point. I some how feel that some judges see some competitors with decent vascularity and striated in areas that help give the competitor a better look. Although this look doesn't always work with every competitor, based on there body.

NOTE: some of these creative evening poses seem more like a fitness or dance routine and are to quick on the posing. I always like the competitor who held his pose for a while so you can really see their physique. This quick poses with dancing seems as if there trying to hide to much.

BCC
06-01-2006, 08:56 PM
Well hey, you're disagreeing with a professional judge.

ederon
06-01-2006, 11:40 PM
although its not in their category to judge striations and vascularity i feel it still shows more musculature for certain competitors, not all.

EDIT: i still think that some have striated areas that show better seperation.
PS: People disagree with judges ALL the time, which is why the IFBB has to keep changing there criteria for judging, now theres the new asthetic look, and im sure there's also new guidelines that have recently been implemented.

Ron Burgundy
06-02-2006, 07:24 AM
Aha I found that other guy whom I thought poses very well as well his name is Kevin Levrone, there is a "best of" video for him, I don't have a link but I rocoment you to view it he is insane.

Relentless
06-02-2006, 08:16 AM
I always like the competitor who held his pose for a while so you can really see their physique. This quick poses with dancing seems as if there trying to hide to much.

This I agree with.
Even if you're dancing around and being athletic, I think it helps your case if you hold the poses a coupla beats longer so people can really appreciate what you're flexing. :)

That's something that Melvin guy did better than the robo-russian, imho

BCC
06-02-2006, 09:33 AM
PS: People disagree with judges ALL the time, which is why the IFBB has to keep changing there criteria for judging, now theres the new asthetic look, and im sure there's also new guidelines that have recently been implemented.

I know people do. You're disagreeing with an IFBB judge that just told you striations and vascularity aren't a part of their judging criteria.

ederon
06-02-2006, 04:47 PM
Yes its writen on paper what their criteria is based on i know that already.
Just like there's politics in this sport, i feel that some judges still judge differently than on paper. Why do you think there is always such an upset every now and then.

KenT
06-02-2006, 07:51 PM
Good discussion and good points.

There are NOT new criteria. The effort is to bring judging back TO the criteria that have always been there -- not to develop new ones.

The points about striations and vascularity are good ones. The baseline remains the criteria which don't mention either one. Do some judges take one or both into consideration? Yes. However, it shouldn't be true that a competitor with striations/vascularity and not separation wins over a competitor with separation but little striation/vascularity. Will that sometimes happen or appear to happen? It could.

Judging is still subjective, though guided by the criteria. There are multiple criteria. It may look to an audience or a competitor that the result was based on striation/vascularity when it may have been something completely different that decided the placement.

My purpose in mentioning this whole issue was to (maybe) motivate competitors to go read the actual judging criteria rather than reinforcing and feeding each other misinformation. I've had to advise and redirect a lot of competitors who got misled and "taken in" by the mythologies that get passed around among competitors.

BCC: thanks. I apologize for not having identified myself. I was asking for trouble!

Ken T

HeavyBomber
06-02-2006, 08:31 PM
Bodybuilding... It's just all a little to gay for me.

Woman's fitness modeling, now that's worth looking at.

Ron Burgundy
06-02-2006, 08:52 PM
Haha, but what do the women look at, Getfit and Built place input here-