PDA

View Full Version : -4 #s a week on ckd

irish mike
01-24-2002, 03:36 AM
this is my second shot at a cyclical keto diet and i have to say the ckd is the best cutting diet for me.i dropped over a 1000 cals a day off my maintenance level and ive lost 12 lbs in 3 weeks.i do a killer ab session twice a week and my six pack is starting to show through.my goal is 185lbs and i was at 210lbs on new years day.how many diets do you know of that you get to pig out once a week.(my cycle is 8 or 9 days because of my work schedule)i think the high calories on the carb up keeps your metabolism from slowing down due to the low calorie consumption.i eat anything i want on my carb up.i just try to keep my meals spaced a little for max glycogen retention.my muscles are like a sponge sucking up all that glycogen.i usually gain 1.5 to 2 lbs on my carb up but that's due to water retention.most of my lean mass seems to be preserved.if ive lost a little the lower bodyfat % has hid it.during the week i'm super low on my carbs(less than 20 grams a day)anyone looking to cut id be happy to try to answer your questions on the ckd. note: my workout is heavy(6-10 reps)and each body part gets worked once every 9 days

Paul Stagg
01-24-2002, 06:29 AM
1000 cals a day? That's an awful big defecit.

Most of the inital weight loss is water.

Shoot for a pound or two a week.

Tryska
01-24-2002, 06:37 AM
i've always understood, that you can't physically lose more than 1% of your BW in fat a week.

don't know if this changes on a CKD though....what do y'all think?

i do agree that that inital weight-loss you experienced includes a lot of water.

1000 cals is a hell of a deficit. how many calories a day are oyu consuming now?

Paul Stagg
01-24-2002, 07:13 AM
Sure you can, regqardless of the diet.

It might not be a good idea, but it can be done.

Tryska
01-24-2002, 07:14 AM
so if you weigh say..200 lbs, no matter what the diet...you can lose more than 2 lbs a week of FAT? consistently?

therhoads
01-24-2002, 07:22 AM
Irish,

Thanks for the info! It's perfect timing because I am planning to try it starting Sunday. I was actually mass gaining for the last 3 months but it is time to cut off some of the added fat. I plan to try it for a month or so...

Were you able to still make any mass gains or did you pretty much stay the same?

Paul Stagg
01-24-2002, 07:52 AM
Sure.

You might have to drop muscle as well to do it. (Drop 3 pounds a week, with more than 2 of it being fat.)

I wouldn't suggest it. More than likely it woldn't work... but there isn't any physological reason you couldn't that I know of.

Tryska
01-24-2002, 08:03 AM
fair enough. that might be the qualifier that i had forgotten as part of it.

"it's impossible to lose more than 1% of your bw in bodyfat WITHOUT sacrificing musclemass"

i think i read htis in cyberpump somewhere....when i get some time i'll have to go back and research...

Paul Stagg
01-24-2002, 08:10 AM
Careful with cyberpump. Lots of great info, lots of iffy info, and rarely any references.

That might have been one HIT Jedi's opinion.

I also read a HIT guy who went on and on about how CKDs and TKDs were horrible.

I would agree, though, that dropping that much fat would accompany a drop in muscle.

Tryska
01-24-2002, 08:13 AM
yeah..i know..i pretty much just check out Lyle's articles over there...

irish mike
01-24-2002, 02:10 PM
i dont understand what some of you are saying.do you mean i'm losing too fast or you doubt ive lost as much as i say i have.the 12 lbs is taking into account water loss i always gain about 2lbs during my 36 hour carb up.suggesting less than a 1000 cal drop wouldnt work because i take in excess calories on my carb up.i think the carb up keeps my metabolism high.has anybody that posted actually done this diet.the usda's food pyramid is the cause of an epidemic of diabetes and obesity.a 48hours special the other night followed a heart patient(starting out with high cholesterol)through a keto diet and all of his cholesterol levels improved.their theory is the fat is burned off before it has a chance to negatively effect levels.a guy i work with and his wife started a keto diet(not a true ckd)around the same time i did on my suggestion(conventional dieting wasnt working)their experience is almost identical to mine.10 lbs for him(he's cheated also)and 14 lbs for her(she doesnt carb up so some is water loss)i just thought i'd contribute to this board.my contribution is based on trial and not on theory.the ckd is an amazing diet.a few cravings but no real hunger and its effective

Tryska
01-24-2002, 02:22 PM
actually both of us have alot of experience with CKDs.....my issue..which i'm pretty sure is the same a spauls is the 1000kcal deficit, regardless of carb-up. you never mentioned how many calories that actually means...but if you are going that low, you could definitely be losing some muscle along with the fat and water, accounting for the rather high amount of weight you are losing each week.

Paul Stagg
01-24-2002, 02:28 PM
Yep.

I've used a TKD with great success... that isn't the issue.

sounds like your caloric deficit is awfully big, and that may be contributing to muscle loss, which may account for the large weight loss (although most of it is probably water.)

irish mike
01-24-2002, 05:06 PM
im sure im probably losing some muscle but the poundages i handle in my workouts have only dropped slightly and i attributed some of the loss to leverage from lower bodyweight i was counting on muscle memory after the diets over.anyway i guess i dont mind losing some muscle i mean what's the use if its hidden by fat.since i never had any luck with conventional dieting i guess im excited to find a diet thats works for me.it seems i remember some old school bodybuilders dropping alot more calories than that before a contest.were they able to do that because of steroids ???

Tryska
01-24-2002, 06:18 PM
no..they lose a lot of muscle mass too, but it allows them to come in shredded, regardless of any gear usage.

SweatHawg
01-24-2002, 10:44 PM
How much cardio are you getting in Mike?.....did you increase it to complement the diet & help w/wt loss?
I am curious as I have just bumped up my cardio (hate it..) and started a diet last week. Nothing as major as yours; just low carbs-high protein & mega glasses of H2o along with a few ECA's a day.

Maki Riddington
01-25-2002, 08:34 AM
Those of you interested in this method can check my journal out. I'm using the CKD and I started out at 210. I'm now at 191.

SweatHawg
01-25-2002, 12:40 PM
Good going Maki!-I started at 233 & haven't weighed in about 10 days..guess I need to but have a feeling I have'nt lost jack yet.:mad:

mr_hand
01-25-2002, 01:33 PM
Hey Irish Mike would you mind giving me an example of your daily diet for this plan you are on. Or Maki, cuz I heard him say he's doing similar. Im just curious

irish mike
01-25-2002, 04:02 PM
meal 1-4 boiled eggs meal 2-6 oz pork loin meal 3-pepperoni with cheddar cheese meal4-2 deli slice packets of chicken,turkey or beef, two slices of cheese meal 5-1 cup broccoli with a half stick of butter i also drink a 100% whey protein drink before bed

Maki Riddington
01-26-2002, 01:42 AM
8-10 strips of bacon
10 eggs
90 grams of cheese
3 table spoons of flax oil
2 scoops of whey protein
= aprox 2400 cals

the doc
01-26-2002, 06:47 AM
CKD does work, but i dont like how you cant eat any veggies :(

irish mike
01-28-2002, 04:54 PM
doc, i haven't had any problems being kicked out of ketosis eatting vegetables.i stick with broccolli cauliflower and green beans i throw them in a bowl with a 1/2 stick of butter and microwave.i monitor my ketones 3 or 4 times a day.i know butter has alot of the unhealthy fat so i wait until i'm in deep(ketosis) because i think it gets burned off before it affects blood lipid levels(at least i seen a study where people on ketos cholesterol levels improved)they all have around 4 grams of carbs a serving and 2 of those are fiber which you definately need on a ckd