PDA

View Full Version : beginner here...needs help

whiteSoxWinner
05-31-2006, 10:53 AM
hahaha--

well I thought I was on the right track until I came here and read all the posts about bulking and calories and gaining strength but not mass...etc etc. Now I'm thinking maybe not....

Basically heres my situation......

I was 192 lbs right out of college....I rarely ever worked out....just boozed and ate crappy food, etc etc. Graduated, moved back home and dropped about 7-10 lbs right away.

In this past september I decided to join a health club and lose some fat, gain muscle. I have been watching my calorie intake and have dropped down to 160. Thats including working out about 2-4 times a week.

My times at the gym are pretty routine...... I always start out on the bike for 25-65 mins. straight, then I go lift.

I have recently been trying the freemotion machines and they really challenge me in a good way. I'll do chest, shoulders and lats. I also do the hammer strength for chest, shoulders and back, and also enjoy the good ol' fashioned lat pull downs.

While I have noticed a little bit of difference...my question is this. I want my chest to bulk up as well as my arms and shoulders/traps.......whats the best routines for me as far as bulking up those areas?

Oh, I also take a protein shake about 1/2 hour before workouts.....just because I fear that I wont have enough energy to burn because of my low-calorie diet.

any help would be awesome guys....I really appreciate it

RedSpikeyThing
05-31-2006, 02:31 PM
You need to get a better routine. The term "freemotion machine" is kind of contradictary....stick with free weights. Give WBB1 (link: http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=25 ) a shot for a few weeks. A few other tips:
- cardio should be done AFTER lifting, so you have more energy for moving the iron. You should try HIIT training (google it); it has been shown to be more effective at burning fat and retaining muscle than "regular" cardio

- I highly suggest you train your legs with weights. Training your legs will help your upper body grow.

- You should be consuming protein AFTER your workout. Your body needs it to help build muscle, not to use it as an energy source. Pre-workout, you should eat carbs for energy.

- You should track your diet on www.fitday.com. This will give you an idea as to how much you are eating and a breakdown of your macros (protein, carbs, fat).

Good luck!

bigedge
05-31-2006, 04:44 PM
also if you're looking to gain weight i wouldnt spend 65 minutes on the bike each day, you're more burning calories, which means you're going to have to eat even more.