PDA

View Full Version : White rice = empty calories?

Boson
05-31-2006, 06:51 PM
According to Wikipedia article on empty calories (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_calories), white rice is considered one of them. So, if I'm trying to bulk up clean, I should avoid white rice??? What gives???

ScroogeSF
05-31-2006, 07:29 PM
According to http://www.wholehealthmd.org/refshelf/foods_view/1,1523,103,00.html
white rice is just the rice kernel with all the good stuff removed. I eat brown rice, tastes good.

When I think empty calories...I think tasty food...and white rice is just not that tasty.

Saint Patrick
05-31-2006, 08:23 PM
Nonsense.

White Rice is just fine, it's a good source of carbs.

TheGimp
06-01-2006, 01:28 AM
If you're bulking I don't think it matters too much.

I do think white rice is a pretty poor choice nutritionally in comparison to say wholewheat products. Its large surface area, lack of fibre and protein means it has a high GI and you're stripping it of vitamins and minerals like magnesium, thiamin and niacin.

Built
06-01-2006, 01:39 AM
If you're bulking I don't think it matters too much.

I do think white rice is a pretty poor choice nutritionally in comparison to say wholewheat products. Its large surface area, lack of fibre and protein means it has a high GI and you're stripping it of vitamins and minerals like magnesium, thiamin and niacin.

Mmmm... wholewheat rice ...

;)

(TheGimp - get some sleep!)

I actually prefer the taste of brown rice for most applications - noteworthy exceptions being sticky rice and sushi, but I digress...

On a cut, you need to eat more nutrient dense food, and besides, brown rice is more filling than white.

TheGimp
06-02-2006, 06:24 AM
Mmmm... wholewheat rice ...
The use of the term wholewheat as opposed to wholegrain was intentional. Given the alternatives out there I really don't think there is any reason to eat rice, aside from secondary concerns such as variety and taste (lol).

Wheat-based nutrition is one of the factors which has given most Europeans a clear advantage in bodily stature over most rice-eaters and corn-eaters.

(TheGimp - get some sleep!)
I made the post at 8:30am after getting into work. As much as I would have loved to go back to the sweet embrace of my bed it would have been a little inappropriate. Time zones eh? :D

Jordanbcool
06-02-2006, 06:45 AM
Nonsense.

Yup.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Why do you sign your name after every post?

Jordanbcool
06-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Why do you sign your name after every post?

Some posts I dont. But thats rare. Its mostly just out of habit. I'll edit it.

Why is your name scarz? :windup:

-jordan

EDIT: See I just did it without thinking. O well.

getfit
06-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Nonsense.

i agree with this

Eszekial
06-02-2006, 02:48 PM

-jordan

EDIT: See I just did it without thinking. O well.
Oh the tables have turned!

~Eszekial

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-02-2006, 02:56 PM

-jordan

EDIT: See I just did it without thinking. O well.My username doesn't pertain to what I brought up. :windup:

Jordanbcool
06-02-2006, 03:04 PM
My username doesn't pertain to what I brought up. :windup:

I was trying to post a worthless question like the one you posted. Just trying to make the point of; why does it matter?

-jordan

No offense by the way. I like you scarz.

getfit
06-02-2006, 03:06 PM
why don't we just stay on the topic of white rice ok.

Jordanbcool
06-02-2006, 03:08 PM
why don't we just stay on the topic of white rice ok.

Good point. But yea, I really see nothing wrong with white rice. For me personally i'd rather eat brown rice as I think it tastes better but whatever floats your boat.

-jordan

WildCard
06-02-2006, 08:31 PM
according to the book "hardcore bodybuilding"

"Rice is the bodybuilder's favorite food. There is no doubt that this product helps greatly in keeping the body functioning well and feeding the muscles in a natural way. Rice can be considered one of the most perfect foods on this planet.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Eggs > rice

Bruise Brubaker
06-02-2006, 09:30 PM
Eggs > everything.

White rice is not that bad, when you remove the bran of rice, you also remove stuff like phytates that keep you from absorbing zinc, calcium and others. As long as it's not a major caloric source. There is so much food that is truly empty calory, that calling white rice an empty calories food is a bit stretchy. Eat more veggies to make up for the lack of nutrients.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-02-2006, 09:35 PM
And spinach...which is full of iron...has iron blockers in it, which prevents you from absorbing the iron. So...consuming a food with Vitamin C in it will aid in the absorption of other things. Same goes for other foods.

Saint Patrick
06-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Or just take a friggin' multivitamin.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Or a vitamin c...or a glass of juice...or.........

af92
06-03-2006, 04:41 PM
Or a vitamin c...or a glass of juice...or.........

or a friggin multi. :D

heh
-josh

Bruise Brubaker
06-03-2006, 06:54 PM
And spinach...which is full of iron...has iron blockers in it, which prevents you from absorbing the iron. So...consuming a food with Vitamin C in it will aid in the absorption of other things. Same goes for other foods.

While it's true that spinach is rich in oxalic acid, which bind and prevent the absorption of minerals, notably calcium and iron, it also contains a good amount of these same minerals. While grains high in phytates are low in zinc and calcium.