PDA

View Full Version : Noob needs diet help

Stevemcnash
06-01-2006, 02:15 AM
Hello all, I've been a watcher for a little while and finaly decided to post a question. Some info on me first, I'm 20 years old, 5-11, 210lbs, 27% bodyfat. Was on a workout program a year ago but illness and school got the best of me, so here I am, overweight with low LBM. My question is this, cut or bulk? Perhaps the answer is the obvious one of cutting, but then how low before bulking up? ( I don't wanna be small, I Wannabe Big :) ) Or do I have such little LBM for my size that I wont get anywhere? I've read that is is possible to gain LBM and loose fat, though I don't know how easy a task this is, would that be the route to take? Or should I bulk up and try to pack on some more LBM even though I will inherently gain fat too? My diet has been crap for a while so I'm starting fresh and am feeling rather lost, and would like some advice.
Sorry for the long post

TheGimp
06-01-2006, 02:24 AM
At a body fat % that high you should cut.

It's difficult to gain LBM and loose fat simultaneously but you might find this happening naturally as you cut due to your relative inexperience (how long were you on the workout programme for?).

Stevemcnash
06-03-2006, 02:58 AM
I was on the program for a solid 6 months or so, but I feel that I've lost nearly all that I gained during that time. So if I should cut, which does make the most sense, how low should I go before trying to add some LBM back on? I know that I will inherently loose some LBM while cutting, so how far down should I go, BF% or general weight, before I try and pack on some clean LBM and then continue to cut again? I don't want this to come accross like I just wanna bulk, because that is not my intention. However I know that haveing LBM is a huge factor in metabolism and weight loss, and I don't wanna screw myself up :). I hope that makes sense, thanks in advance for the help.

TheGimp
06-03-2006, 04:58 AM
Personally I would aim to get down to around 12% body fat before bulking as this may result in a more favourable muscle:fat gained ratio, and you'll likely be better able to see your results.

Also there is some research that suggests muscle burns a lot less calories than previously thought and that the real reason muscular individuals burn more calories is due to the metabolic changes of actually lifting weights, so I don't really agree with the concerns of your penultimate sentence.

Stevemcnash
06-03-2006, 03:06 PM
OK, thanks for the advice. I'm going to start my cut tomorrow, looks like it's going to be a long road for me. I'm thinking of starting a journal to track my progress and continue getting feedback.
Thanks again