PDA

View Full Version : help me with my bench homies

biggimp
06-01-2006, 11:59 AM
okay i am having a REALLY tough time and it is pissing me off oh-so-much.

i have been at a plateau of right around 305-315 for a year or so. the thing that pisses me off is my lockout strenght, and pretty much my ROM from 4 inches off the chest on up.

when i am trying to nail 315 for a single, i cant get it one God Damn inch off of my chest, i cant move it off at all. but i can 2board press almost 350 (and this is after only 2 board press sessions ever), and i can 5'' lockout 480, 3''lockout i can rep 480 easily.

i know that with a shirt i would be fine and dandy, but damnit im not happy with only being able to bench good in a shirt. i am doing full ROM every 3 weeks on my ME day and i am doing full ROM every week on DE days, but my chest strenght is going nowhere... i have no dumbbells. what are some things i can try to do to get my off the chest strength up to par with the rest of my ROM? this really depresses me. :(

would an ME day of going down to chest then only halfway back up, then down help at all? or just do nothing?

Keith
06-01-2006, 12:07 PM
When doing flat bench, imagine the bar stationary, and you are pushing yourself AWAY from the bar. If you can get this thought right, you'll add on about 5% to your max. Giv'er a try.

drew
06-01-2006, 12:24 PM
I've been doing less pause work and more touch and go work, especially on DE days. I've also been spending more time just repping full ROM bench press. My bottom end strength has been slowly coming up since doing this.

biggimp
06-01-2006, 12:33 PM
i dont do any pause work....

oh yeah, here is more to think about: i tried 315today for fun, comp grip, arch, etc, couldnt budge it an inch. then i went to almost a CGBP grip, flat back, got it 2 inches off my chest at least... i dont know, maybe i should move my grip in some? but that also seems to limit my top end strength if i do that... my comp grip is just my ring fingers on the outer ring, its not that wide at all...

KevinStarke
06-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Damn man your lockout strength is incredible, sucks you can get it off your chest though. Other than things like making sure your elbows are tucked and you use leg drive which im sure you do both of I would suggest a couple things. Floor presses with your torso elevated (lay on a pad or two so your arms go deeper) and/or rack presses with the barbell starting at the bottom position. The area 4" off my chest is a sticking point for me too but I have no problem getting it there.. its just getting it passed there.

biggimp
06-01-2006, 01:24 PM
yeah a few inches off my chest is my number 2 sticking point. my number 1 sticking point is 0inches LOL.

that is something i have never thought of though. rack presses from the bottom of my ROM. that really seems like it would work! thanks for the idea.

also on floor presses, you dont even get the bar close to your chest do you? so im not seeing how that would help off the chest strength?

thanks for your help.

Coby
06-01-2006, 01:29 PM
You could try some isometrics from the bottom in the rack, have your bench in a squat rack, set the pins within an inch or of your chest and the bar on your chest and push up for sets of like 5 secs. I think it was Coach Thib I heard it from.

Sensei
06-01-2006, 02:06 PM
You might try some 2 board presses, band pushdowns, or chain work for a while as aux. movements.

KevinStarke
06-01-2006, 03:02 PM
yeah a few inches off my chest is my number 2 sticking point. my number 1 sticking point is 0inches LOL.

that is something i have never thought of though. rack presses from the bottom of my ROM. that really seems like it would work! thanks for the idea.

also on floor presses, you dont even get the bar close to your chest do you? so im not seeing how that would help off the chest strength?

thanks for your help.

No problem man. As for the floor presses i said put a pad under your torso so you could get your arms down lower and get lower with the bar. Not necessary but i would definitelly try the rack presses starting from right at your chest.

WBBIRL
06-01-2006, 04:12 PM
I think the people around here severly underesitmate the usefullness of negative weight lifting.

Load up the bar with about 350-365lbs and just focus on letting the weight down to your chest slowly and controlled. Have someone help you get the weight back up and do this once or twice per month.

It works, very well. Mainly for platue breaking but it works.