PDA

View Full Version : Body fat estimate and ab help?

Scottyboy
06-01-2006, 03:20 PM
Hey all -

Here is a picture of my torso taken this AM. I have 2 questions. First, can you estimate my body fat? My trainer buddy guessed me at about 9% (I am 6 foot even and weigh about 174), but if I am 9% shouldn't I have more lower abdominal definition? I can feel some nice abs down there but they don't really show up the way I would like them to. Any advice?

wannabebig...er
06-01-2006, 03:21 PM
craic with that tatoo mate?.......

Scottyboy
06-01-2006, 03:24 PM
craic with that tatoo mate?.......

err...what is craic

Eszekial
06-01-2006, 03:25 PM
10-11% is my guess.

wannabebig...er
06-01-2006, 03:25 PM
whats the story with it?.....what is it?

Scottyboy
06-01-2006, 03:30 PM
I drew it myself, it isn't really anything more than a simple design. I had it done when I was going through a very tough time, it helps to remind me to keep perspective when I face problems now because the ones I faced then were much worse. Also it's fun to see what people think it looks like :) I've heard a deer, the decepticons logo, a samurai, and other fun ideas.

Eszekial
06-01-2006, 03:33 PM
I drew it myself, it isn't really anything more than a simple design. I had it done when I was going through a very tough time, it helps to remind me to keep perspective when I face problems now because the ones I faced then were much worse. Also it's fun to see what people think it looks like :) I've heard a deer, the decepticons logo, a samurai, and other fun ideas.

It's actually a reindeer with a samuri helmet on... Wearing sunglasses.. Armani, to be exact.

Scottyboy
06-01-2006, 03:38 PM
It's actually a reindeer with a samuri helmet on... Wearing sunglasses.. Armani, to be exact.

I am officially now going to tell people that this is what it is just to see how they react. that's hilarious.

Eszekial
06-01-2006, 03:40 PM
I am officially now going to tell people that this is what it is just to see how they react. that's hilarious.
Wow, I would love to see how somebody reacted! haha! :lurk:

ederon
06-01-2006, 05:48 PM
I would say your body fat estimate is fairly accurate about 9-10%
i think your having trouble seeing your lower adominal area possible for 2 reasons:
1) Although you have low enough bf % that you should see the bottom abs
you could be holding water there. Try to stray away from salts and
other things that retain water
2) You might not be doing enough lower ab work. I.e leg raises, hanging leg
raises, knee-up, kick-outs, also with some weights, pretty much anything
where your lifting your legs will work the lower abdominals

Patz
06-01-2006, 08:50 PM
that guess is accurate enough..

arya202
06-01-2006, 09:23 PM
I would say your body fat estimate is fairly accurate about 9-10%
i think your having trouble seeing your lower adominal area possible for 2 reasons:
1) Although you have low enough bf % that you should see the bottom abs
you could be holding water there. Try to stray away from salts and
other things that retain water
2) You might not be doing enough lower ab work. I.e leg raises, hanging leg
raises, knee-up, kick-outs, also with some weights, pretty much anything
where your lifting your legs will work the lower abdominals

OMG, you did not just say "lower ab work"!!!

Scottyboy
06-02-2006, 12:08 AM
I do eat a lot of salty foods so that's very believable. I've only been training abs seriously for about 2 months since most of my life my body fat has been around 14% and they have been pretty much invisible so I do expect them to be lagging a bit. Isn't "lower ab exercises" technically incorrect? I thought you couldn't isolate them that way.

smalls
06-02-2006, 12:52 AM
OMG, you did not just say "lower ab work"!!!

I saw it too, the horror.

I would say closer to 12 than 10%. But right around there.

Gabrielle
06-02-2006, 12:55 AM
bring up your core..heavy squats, deads..etc. I would say close to 12 % also

Mercuryblade
06-02-2006, 02:05 AM
I had it done when I was going through a very tough time, it helps to remind me to keep perspective when I face problems now because the ones I faced then were much worse.

That's why I got mine, good permanent reminder.

ArchAngel777
06-02-2006, 07:17 AM
I saw it too, the horror.

I would say closer to 12 than 10%. But right around there.

Ederon does have the backing of his training photos. The proof is in the pudding for him. Technically, he is right in one aspect. But working the lower abs is probably less than 10% and we all know that it is 90% diet, virtually all diet for that part. But people with large stomach muscles will in fact have a six pack with more fat than one who has less muscle. If you can gain size on the lower abs, it will help. However, the ammount it helps is very, very small. We alll know this. Diet is the key and Ederon knows this. I think he was just giving a rare general example. Could be wrong... But he is a great guy and has a great journal.

accuFLEX
06-02-2006, 07:28 AM
I would have said 12%....your about as lean as I am now (I really should update my pics)

Edit: Looked at it again....10 or 11%...not really a big deal though hahah

drew
06-02-2006, 07:30 AM
I think around 11%

You want bigger abs, use heavy weight. :D

surfer16
06-02-2006, 07:54 AM
Off topic : is that a permanent tattoo or just a henna?

dw06wu
06-02-2006, 10:20 AM
11-12%

Keith
06-02-2006, 10:29 AM
12-14% even. I definately wouldnt guess lower than 10%.

Scottyboy
06-02-2006, 10:31 AM
It's a real, permanent tattoo. When I got it done I was 18 and I couldn't afford to have it filled in, but now I actually think it looks better as it is than it would filled it so I left it like that.

smalls
06-02-2006, 11:55 AM
Ederon does have the backing of his training photos. The proof is in the pudding for him. Technically, he is right in one aspect. But working the lower abs is probably less than 10% and we all know that it is 90% diet, virtually all diet for that part. But people with large stomach muscles will in fact have a six pack with more fat than one who has less muscle. If you can gain size on the lower abs, it will help. However, the ammount it helps is very, very small. We alll know this. Diet is the key and Ederon knows this. I think he was just giving a rare general example. Could be wrong... But he is a great guy and has a great journal.

He seems like a good guy and helps people out, but my statement was not in reference to ab work VS. diet. It was poking at the idea of "lower ab work" of which there is no such thing. There is hip flexor work but just like there is no "lower bicep" there are no lower abs. No biggie, just making a statement, it has nothing to do with his character or his own progress.

ederon
06-02-2006, 04:44 PM
well i had a similar problem with having the upper 4 abs visable and lower 2 abs none visable.(in ref. to a 6pack)
My diet was on par, so i stopped doing as many crunches and hit any exercise that required raising the legs. It seemed to help me anyways.

NOTE: abs with weight does help but with my experience i found those who used heavy weight with abs over a long period of time, they had an increase in waist size and lost some of the V taper shape.