PDA

View Full Version : Macro % on a cut?

hoser813
06-02-2006, 09:35 PM
First off, Id just like to say thank you to FitDay... I finally got off my lazy ass and tried it and now I love it, its so easy! Anyway, Whats a good macro % breakdown, and should this change at all for a cut (like less carbs and more protein)?

Built
06-02-2006, 09:42 PM
Percentages matter about as much on a cut as they do on a bulk or when maintining - that is to say, not at all.

Read the cutting link in my sig. You can choose to carb cycle or not, but the basic outline of how to structure your cutting diet is there.

Saint Patrick
06-02-2006, 10:54 PM
Percentages matter about as much on a cut as they do on a bulk or when maintining - that is to say, not at all.

So are you saying that your macros could be 90/5/5 and get the same results as 40/30/30?

Not trying to start a debate, just playing Devil's Advocate.

Built
06-02-2006, 11:03 PM
So are you saying that your macros could be 90/5/5 and get the same results as 40/30/30?

Not trying to start a debate, just playing Devil's Advocate.

Okay devil - where do calories come in?

And why would you want the same "ratio" of protein, carb and fat on a cut as a bulk? On a cut, with lower calories, this would mean less protein and fat. The stuff you NEED to support muscle. On a bulk, it could mean 3g of protein per pound LBM.

The ratio that matters is the one that targets essential macronutrients - ie protein and fat - to LBM.

Targeting to total calories is ...okay, I guess, if you're in constant maintenance and your total calories don't really vary. But for those of us whose total calories can vary by plus or minus 500-1000 calories, well, it doesn't make much sense to target macronutrients to such a variable target, now, does it?

LBM changes, but not by QUITE so much.

So it's a better place to start from. That, and calories (of course!)

Make sense?

Saint Patrick
06-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Makes perfect sense. I just read that percentages don't matter at all, and it seemed like a pretty blanketed statement.

For the record, I agree with you, just wanted some clarification.

Built
06-02-2006, 11:38 PM
Cool. :cool:

:)