PDA

View Full Version : Protein/Fat Intake

Nirdop
06-04-2006, 11:06 AM
Ok, so I'm not really bulking, but I'm not cutting either, I just started to work out, and I'm really just building muscle from the fat/mass that is already there. I know it's not probably the ideal type of mass I would want, but I would like to get some gains before I go and make a commitment to bulk up. I would hate to bulk up and not turn the new mass into muscle.

My question is, how much protein/fat should I intake into my body. According to fitday, I'm averaging about 59g of protein per day and about 52 or 53g of fat per day (over roughly 3 days). I'm doing WBB1 routine. Thanks

ddegroff
06-04-2006, 12:48 PM
Ok first off you need about 1g/LBM for protein. So for you need around 181g/ day of protein. Fat should be around .5g/LBM. Following WBB1 will really get you going in the right direction.

You can't turn fat mass into muscle mass.

Nirdop
06-04-2006, 12:55 PM
wow, alright

Any suggestions on getting 130 more grams of protein into my diet a day (cheap foods? and I would rather not start on supplements yet either)?

Also, how do I find my LBM, I googled it and I found a lot of different ways/useless info; so which is the most accurate

ddegroff
06-04-2006, 02:43 PM
Eggs, chicken, lean beef, salmon, cottage cheese, milk... Search the forum tons of stuff!

21%* 181 = 38 - 181 = 142lbs LBM

Tofer
06-04-2006, 03:11 PM
Wow... only 59g of protein a day? I probably get that much from my breakfast alone.

Nirdop
06-04-2006, 04:15 PM
what do you have for breakfast

Sose
06-05-2006, 01:08 AM
protein supps are really a lot of help. Especially in the beginning stages of working out and getting bigger. Its tough to go from eating whatever you want whenever you want to being pretty clean about eating and watching cals. Even tougher if you've got to eat 5 pieces of chicken and a can of tuna to get the needed protein. protein shakes are a good, fast, easy way to get a nice bit of protein without gorging yourself on food. my opinion though - im lazy :)

Built
06-05-2006, 01:41 AM
I have no trouble at all getting in 200g protein from my food.

Tofer
06-05-2006, 10:56 PM
For my breakfast I'll usually have a big bowl of oatmeal, a banana and a protein shake with whole milk. Sometimes I'll also have eggs with whole wheat toast. Over the course of a day, I get more than 59g of protein from milk alone. If you drink 2L of milk a day, which is pretty easy, you'll have 64g right there.

Plugging a typical breakfast into FitDay gives me 55g of protein, and with the bread and eggs, that's 79g of protein. So even without supplements it's pretty easy to get your numbers.

Try making a weight gain shake. My shakes have 58g of protein with 1200 calories. You simply aren't trying hard enough if you think getting more protein is difficult.