PDA

View Full Version : Issue of metabolism

Qea
01-24-2002, 05:16 PM
I think this issue might have been raised in the past, but I was wondering the benefits of increased metabolism when an individual's goal is to bulk up.

Is having a higher metabolism really optimal in gaining weight?

All the points raised in nutrition discussions, such as 'eating 6 small meals instead of 3 large ones', or 'eating protein with every meal' seem to be pointed at the goal of raising a person's basal metabolic rate.

As such, more calories are burned on average, which goes quite against the principle of weight gain, isn't it?

Any feedbacks or comments?

mesmall
01-24-2002, 10:50 PM
Ultimately a high metabolism year around is perfect. This will allow you to manipulate your diet alot easier.

01-24-2002, 11:05 PM
because a higher metabolism burns more fat during the day than a lower one. Which means when bulking the person with the higher metabolism or BMR will stay leaner longer than the one with the slow metab./low BMR.

pr3
01-24-2002, 11:42 PM
I was going to post a question like this as well. I've been eating 5 to 6 small meals a day, and in the past few weeks, I've noticed that I've been gettin' a faster metabolism. I get hungry real quick, but I think it's hurt me. I don't have time to eat 8 meals a day, and those 6 are becoming to be inadequate. Thus, I've lost weight...I'm not sure if this is the cause, but the fact that I've been hungrier more often is something I've been thinkin' about.

Please explain more.

I'm tryin' to gain mass. I'm 5'5 and have a thin frame. I need to gain weight and muscle!:help:

Qea
01-25-2002, 12:48 AM
PR3, I'm experiencing the same situation as you.

I get hungry alot, i think my stomach's capacity to hold food has gone down after years of eating small, frequent meals. basically, I dont need to eat much to get full, and i get hungry fast after that.

Sometimes it gets so bad i wake up in the middle of the night with hunger pangs.

It keeps me real, real, lean, and often i worry about weight loss.

Having such a higher metabolism isn't a godsend as some might wish to believe.

Then again, i guess it cuts both ways too.

mesmall
01-25-2002, 08:46 AM
Liquid supplements are a great way to overcome the problem of not being able to consume enough calories.

pr3
01-25-2002, 09:51 AM
So if I want to gain weight, should I try to reverse this 6 meals a day thing and just eat 3 or 4 big meals?

I don't want to lose weight at all. My frame is too t hin to consider losing any more weight.

What to do?

Meal replacement bars/shakes should help?

mesmall
01-25-2002, 11:52 AM
Keep it at 6 meals a day and supplement with bars/shakes. Whatever is easiest to get the most calories without filling your stomach and leaving room for real food. :cool:

The_Chicken_Daddy
01-25-2002, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by mesmall
Liquid supplements are a great way to overcome the problem of not being able to consume enough calories.

Agreed.

Milk - does a body good.