PDA

View Full Version : Fiber and carbs

frankm007
06-04-2006, 02:41 PM
n/m

Bruise Brubaker
06-04-2006, 04:57 PM
Yes, although the numbers might be rounded, and it is in fact 5.6 g fibers and 6.4 carbs, but who cares, I would still say it's 0 net carb.

Not all fibers passes through us, some are fermented, and give us many compounds, the main ones in quantity are the short-chain fatty acids, which I think give us a few negligable calories. For ruminants, they are a major source of calories.

sonofman
06-04-2006, 06:09 PM
I am still unclear about whether or not I should subtract fiber from my carbs in fitday. :bang: What do you guys do?

ArchAngel777
06-04-2006, 06:17 PM
According to Lyle, fiber does have a few calories. I guess what I read is that the body extracts about 1.5 - 2 calories per gram of fiber, but that it is listed as 0 because it is negligable. I can't find a website to back it up, but then again, with so much misinformation out there, perhaps only the spouted 0 calories is coming up in search engines. Lyle is pretty intelligent, I might tend to believe his word on this one.

SpecialK
06-04-2006, 07:00 PM
Soluble fiber is digested by the body, so should be included. Insoluble fiber is not digested. Most nutrition labels will break the fiber content down into these two categories. If it doesn't, then I don't know what to do.

Built
06-04-2006, 08:38 PM
I go by the total calories listed on fitday. I figure if it's wrong, it's wrong-but-consistant, which is fine anyway.