PDA

View Full Version : No squat rack, how do I squat?

HighSchoolGuy
06-04-2006, 06:16 PM
So far I can only bench and deadlift seeing as I don't have time to join a gym. I have all the weights I need. but I can't squat because I don't have a squat rack. Any ideas? Maybe one legged squats with a plate held over my head?

WBBIRL
06-04-2006, 06:40 PM
Load weights onto the bar, clean the weights and set them into squat position. Im sure you can handle it from there.

And dont laugh, for the longest time at first I could clean the weight easier then I could squat it. Obviously that changed after I started progressing, but its what I've done before.

greathuskie
06-04-2006, 06:56 PM
build a squat rack out of wood, would be very easy to make, just do it right and youll never overload it.

MixmasterNash
06-04-2006, 07:47 PM
Clean to front squat.

betastas
06-04-2006, 08:13 PM
You can also do some unilateral work such as BB Lunges or step ups for higher load/leg. It's easier to get the weight up when you don't have a rack.

Saint Patrick
06-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Get a squat rack.

Built
06-04-2006, 11:37 PM
Bulgarian split squats, walking lunges, front squats, sissy squats ...

diesel_dan
06-05-2006, 07:17 AM
Get a squat rack.

:withstupi

Rex
06-05-2006, 10:18 AM
You will need a rack to front squat.

I use my bench as a rack. The uprights swing out and I raise them as high as they go.

RedRoss
06-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Sometimes i hold HEAVY dumbells by my side, stand on a platform and just squat down reaaaal deep with those... i get a real narrow stance and it Wrecks the outsides of my quads.

Phelon
06-05-2006, 10:35 AM
put quarters on the ground, about 10, seperated about 1-2 feet apart, then do a squat (good form) and pick it up, and when u get to the next quarter, drop that quarter, pick it up, then bend down get the other, and continue from there.

AKA sissy squats :)

biggimp
06-05-2006, 10:52 AM
you can front squat without a squat rack. you just clean the weight up.

bdd814
06-05-2006, 11:17 AM
Sometimes i hold HEAVY dumbells by my side, stand on a platform and just squat down reaaaal deep with those... i get a real narrow stance and it Wrecks the outsides of my quads.
I like the sound of this.

Bob
06-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Dig a hole!!!

Like the greatest strongman/squatter of all time.. Paul Anderson (20-reps with 1000 lbs, Paul Anderson’s 1,200-pound squat sans powerlifting gear)
http://www.cviog.uga.edu/Projects/gainfo/paulanderson.htm
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/296/
http://www.martygallagher.com/more/269_0_1_0_M/

Eszekial
06-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Picking up shrug dumbells off the floor is one hell of a leg workout.

Built
06-05-2006, 02:10 PM
put quarters on the ground, about 10, seperated about 1-2 feet apart, then do a squat (good form) and pick it up, and when u get to the next quarter, drop that quarter, pick it up, then bend down get the other, and continue from there.

AKA sissy squats :)

This is how I do sissy squats:
http://www.exrx.net/AnimatedEx/Quadriceps/WTSissySquat.gif

greathuskie
06-05-2006, 02:18 PM
what in gods name is that

what does it even do? beside look painful

Built
06-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Excellent quad exercise. I sometimes superset them with seated leg extensions (I only do the top half of extensions)

greathuskie
06-05-2006, 02:22 PM
yea....
i dont feel like crying in the gym, ill pass

Built
06-05-2006, 02:26 PM
gh - try 'em.

DO NOT do 'em cold - but try 'em sometime after squats or leg press.

They'll blow your mind.

Thomas
06-05-2006, 03:18 PM
looks horrible. What does clean the weight mean?

Built
06-05-2006, 03:21 PM
They look bad, but they’re incredible. Clean the weight means the first part of “clean and jerk” – like a fast upright row to the “front squat” position.

Beno79
06-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Im in the same position as the OP here (no rack). Ive been clenaing the weight, pressing it above my head, then lowering it onto my back ready for squatting.

I find this ok to begin with but it gets really tiring after a while, plus its very awkward to get the weight off your back, and above your head again, then back down to the ground when you've finsihed the squats!

Im buying a rack this week i hope, as I am very limited as to the amount of weight i can do this awkward procedure with!

Rex
06-05-2006, 04:17 PM
you can front squat without a squat rack. you just clean the weight up.

Most people clean significantly less than they squat. That's compounded by the fact that their front squat gains will outpace their clean gains. So yeah, clean the weight is great over the short term but it's really not a viable long term solution. Especially if you take the movement seriously and work it hard you really need a rack.

Skinny Fat
06-05-2006, 04:18 PM
Im in the same position as the OP here (no rack). Ive been clenaing the weight, pressing it above my head, then lowering it onto my back ready for squatting.

I find this ok to begin with but it gets really tiring after a while, plus its very awkward to get the weight off your back, and above your head again, then back down to the ground when you've finsihed the squats!

Im buying a rack this week i hope, as I am very limited as to the amount of weight i can do this awkward procedure with!

Whoa, dude. Just leave the weight in front and do front squats. Pressing that weight over your head twice is severely cramping your style.

Goodwinm
06-05-2006, 04:45 PM
Load weights onto the bar, clean the weights and set them into squat position. Im sure you can handle it from there.

And dont laugh, for the longest time at first I could clean the weight easier then I could squat it. Obviously that changed after I started progressing, but its what I've done before.
yup, but hopefully you were talking about clean to front squat, becuse a back squat would be murder to press the weight over head after finishing sets.

Mercuryblade
06-05-2006, 04:55 PM
This is not going to end good.

WBBIRL
06-05-2006, 05:20 PM
Obviously he wont be doing like 225+LBS, but I've done it with 135. If he had bumper plates he could just drop the weights when he was done...

gains2385
06-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Guys, I dont have a rack and what I do is put the bar behind me, pretend like I am going to deadlift it (behind me), and just use the same posture/form as if I was doing a real squat, except that I am lowering the weight almost to the floor and then going up. Is that any good?

khari
06-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Most people clean significantly less than they squat. That's compounded by the fact that their front squat gains will outpace their clean gains. So yeah, clean the weight is great over the short term but it's really not a viable long term solution. Especially if you take the movement seriously and work it hard you really need a rack.

Only because most people don't know how to clean properly. All the more reason they should learn. If you know what you're doing, you should be able to clean *roughly* your best front squat triple. So it should be rather easy to clean a weight you intend to front squat 6+ times. Obviously Heavy, low rep work is out of the question, but it's still a good solution.

Rex
06-06-2006, 08:41 AM
Obviously Heavy, low rep work is out of the question

Bah! Go heavy or go home.

dw06wu
06-06-2006, 09:04 AM
Guys, I dont have a rack and what I do is put the bar behind me, pretend like I am going to deadlift it (behind me), and just use the same posture/form as if I was doing a real squat, except that I am lowering the weight almost to the floor and then going up. Is that any good?
These are called hack squats. They emphasize the quads, but do not stress the core as top loaded squats do.

Bob
06-06-2006, 01:21 PM
If you don't like the Dig a hole idea...
Try Zercher Squats, Static Squats (with as much weight as you can get on your shoulders), Jefferson Squats (just watch your privates), Wall squats with weight, Bulgarian Squats with DBs, Single Leg Box Squats with DBs....

RedRoss
06-06-2006, 03:35 PM
I did these today after my Squat routine, it was solid. They work really well, nice change every once in a while.

gains2385
06-06-2006, 04:17 PM
These are called hack squats. They emphasize the quads, but do not stress the core as top loaded squats do.
hey, thanks for the reply. I was looking through a M&F (talked about a mag filled with useless adds promising the world... :spam: ) and saw one of the models demonstrate a hack squat. I like it well enough...my legs hurt well enough and I feel like I accomplished SOMETHING at least on my leg day.

Funky_monkey
06-06-2006, 07:55 PM
as you'll be using less weight, go al the way down and do it slowly, and tense at the top. that would wipe a smile off ur face - burns like hell if you hold the squeeze for 2-3 secs

khari
06-06-2006, 10:05 PM
Bah! Go heavy or go home.

Learning to clean well enough to make this plausible would be more beneficial than being able to test your 1rm. He's not competing in weightlifting, so such low rep work isn't even ideal anyway.