PDA

View Full Version : Eating Before Bed...

whiteman90909
06-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Does eating before bed make a difference either way? I heard that if you eat before sleeping, many of the calories you just consumed will go into making fat since youre not burning them up, but i would think that since your body is resting while you sleep , the calories will go into rebuilding muscle while you sleep. I also heard that its as simple as calories in vs calories out, no matter when the food is consumed. So back to the originol question: is eating before bed really any different than eating at any other time?

getfit
06-05-2006, 07:07 PM
most of us eat before bed, have some cottage cheese, fruit, nuts

Built
06-05-2006, 07:10 PM
:withstupi

ddegroff
06-06-2006, 08:56 AM
oh **** its about that time of day that my cals just turn to fat!

Cals of course don't have a time when they just go to fat. You answered your own question. I look at sleep as 8hrs of time where all my body has to do is repair, repair, repair.

KingWilder
06-06-2006, 09:01 AM
I take Micellar Protein right before bed and maybe some natty PB

Sose
06-06-2006, 11:24 AM
ive heard people say that the food you eat right before bed (before 8 pm) isnt properly digested and sits in your lower stomach longer - Which does make sense because your body is kind of on autopilot and not working so hard when your asleep. It all does get digested and it is cals in VS cals out. I imagine its just like eating any other time of the day, the only difference is that it may take a bit longer.

Margin Of Error
06-06-2006, 01:46 PM
I feel like right before bed is the most important meal of the day. 8+ hours without food intake is very catabolic, make sure your stomach has got something to work on while you sleep.

Saint Patrick
06-06-2006, 02:28 PM
ive heard people say that the food you eat right before bed (before 8 pm) isnt properly digested and sits in your lower stomach longer - Which does make sense because your body is kind of on autopilot and not working so hard when your asleep. It all does get digested and it is cals in VS cals out. I imagine its just like eating any other time of the day, the only difference is that it may take a bit longer.

Those people are misinformed.

I feel like right before bed is the most important meal of the day. 8+ hours without food intake is very catabolic, make sure your stomach has got something to work on while you sleep.

Good advice.

Cage Classic
06-12-2006, 04:45 AM
Eating a bowl of pasta right before bed isn't a bad idea, is it?

TheGimp
06-12-2006, 04:48 AM
Eating a bowl of pasta right before bed isn't a bad idea, is it?

It depends what you have with the pasta.

Cage Classic
06-12-2006, 05:03 AM
Nothing. I had a bowl of pasta, with riccota and peccorino cheese in it.

HILL
06-12-2006, 05:18 AM
your better off having protein but i always like to eat before bed

Slim Schaedle
06-12-2006, 10:22 AM
It might not be a good idea to listen to these people regarding anything else about nutrition.

;)

arjun
06-12-2006, 07:27 PM
It might not be a good idea to listen to these people regarding anything else about nutrition.

;)

I concur. What is a "lower stomach"?

Jordanbcool
06-14-2006, 06:24 PM
Casein Protein before bed.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-14-2006, 06:36 PM
Most of your tissue repair occurs in your sleep when your body can give most of it resources for this purpose. Giving your body fuel for this activity before bed is a good idea.

Jordanbcool
06-14-2006, 07:24 PM
If your cutting you should avoid eating carbs before bed (pictures of gourging on pasta, cereal and cream of wheat at 12 P.M. come to mind). But seriously, I really see no need to eat anything other then a good casein protein drink right before bed. It'll digest all night long fueling your muscles. Plus eating alot of solid foods before bed keeps me up all night...

-jordan

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-14-2006, 07:26 PM
It doesn't have to be solid food.

Jordanbcool
06-14-2006, 07:32 PM
It doesn't have to be solid food.

? Are you suggesting a carb shake before bed 0_o

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-14-2006, 07:35 PM
What is wrong with you? I haven't said anything about carbs. :scratch: I was referencing your post. I meant if solid food keeps you up, there's nothing wrong with a shake or something before bed.

enigm@tic
06-14-2006, 07:37 PM
even if your food did sit in your stomach longer that doesnt mean its going to turn into fat. Most of your digestion happens in your intestines, very little in your stomach. Your bodys metabolism will slow down later in the day gradual but it will not work completely different after 8 o'clock. I'd say if you wanted to eat before bed dont go stupid with the food like eat a pizza or some ****. I often eat 30 mins before bed, as said its cals in vs cals out.

Jordanbcool
06-14-2006, 07:42 PM
What is wrong with you? I haven't said anything about carbs. :scratch: I was referencing your post. I meant if solid food keeps you up, there's nothing wrong with a shake or something before bed.

Take it easy! You werent very specific so I was just asking lol. And yea....I dont have to eat solid food....thats why I drink the casein.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-14-2006, 07:46 PM
I like a big glass of ice cold milk/protein powder, with maybe some fruit or something before bed.

Jordanbcool
06-14-2006, 07:52 PM
I like a big glass of ice cold milk/protein powder, with maybe some fruit or something before bed.

Milk is such a good combo with any powdered protein. It just adds so many much needed macros/calories for digestion while water adds neither.

ddegroff
06-14-2006, 08:59 PM
If your cutting you should avoid eating carbs before bed

Becool, answer this:

If 4 cups of pasta fits into your macro's (even while cutting) then why not before bed?

Jordanbcool
06-15-2006, 07:39 AM
Becool, answer this:

If 4 cups of pasta fits into your macro's (even while cutting) then why not before bed?

If done on a consistant basis it can stimulate a hormonal response (insulin mostly) causing your body to store it as fat. However if its done every once in a while or maybe even once weekly I dont think it would make a difference. Now since your in a caloric deficit your body should (in theory) burn it up. But, things dont always happen as planned...

This dosent mean that it always will happen but over an extended period of time it could really have a negative effect on your dieting.

ddegroff
06-15-2006, 07:51 AM
Alright I can stand that. But I think there are way too many variables to say not too many CHO's before bed. For example; one lifts at night 4days a week, then CHO's are super important pwo (causing a much needed insulin response). But also they are consuming CHO's late at night on a consistant basis. I don't feel that those would go to fat just because they are eating those consistantly.

Its thermodynamics, calories don't have a time clock when they just start going to fat after 9pm.

Jordanbcool
06-15-2006, 08:09 AM
Alright I can stand that. But I think there are way too many variables to say not too many CHO's before bed. For example; one lifts at night 4days a week, then CHO's are super important pwo (causing a much needed insulin response). But also they are consuming CHO's late at night on a consistant basis. I don't feel that those would go to fat just because they are eating those consistantly.

Its thermodynamics, calories don't have a time clock when they just start going to fat after 9pm.

Your totally right. Carbs are VERY important post workout, no matter the time. And yes your right. The body is a very complicated machine....fat loss is like muscle gain. Theres a TON of factors that influence it.

-jordan

ddegroff
06-15-2006, 08:25 AM
^cool glad that we're in agreement.