PDA

View Full Version : Olive oil

sdre
06-06-2006, 08:56 AM
howdy,

did a search on olive oil used in foods and it didn't really answer my questions that i have.

here it comes:

i've been cooking my meals e.g beef and chicken cutlets with olive oil. i use... hmmn generous amounts of olive oil. is this bad? i read the content label and it says 15g of fat per 100ml i think.

i thought olive oil is suppose to be healthy?

is there another alternative to cooking meats then. i might have to look for a grill machine (pan style) too.

i'm living in a hostel so grills are outa the question.

Built
06-06-2006, 08:59 AM
OO is good for you.

Personally, I prefer to fry in butter, but OO is fine if you don't use very high heat.

getfit
06-06-2006, 09:35 AM
OO is good for you.

Personally, I prefer to fry in butter, but OO is fine if you don't use very high heat.
yep, as well for me

sdre
06-06-2006, 10:33 AM
hey. thanks for replying. :)

butter? but issn't butter unhealthy as well? i know nuts about cooking here.. so yeah.. please enlighten me. thanks.

:)

Built
06-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Butter isn't unhealthy - don't eat it by the stick, but it's a natural saturated fat. We DO need those.

Bruise Brubaker
06-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Virgin coconut oil is a good alternative to butter too, and it's full of the medium chain triglycerides, which mean = good before a workout.

You ideally want saturated fats when cooking, i.e butter, coconut oil, pork fat... Pork fat isn't healthy though, cuz they are fed so much crap.

Olive is one of the best for cooking among the non-mainly-saturated oils, just not as safe as butter and the rest.

RedSpikeyThing
06-06-2006, 02:22 PM
It's only "unhealthy" because people seem to think fat is bad. Fat isn't bad - you need it to live. Olive oil is healthy because it is a natural source of "good" fat. It is, however, high in calories. So if you are cutting, be careful how much you use. If you're bulking, then go nuts!

Saint Patrick
06-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Olive Oil is kick-ass :thumbup:

Built
06-06-2006, 02:25 PM
Try coconut milk in your chocolate shake OMG!

Holto
06-06-2006, 03:01 PM
Olive oil shouldn't be heated over 325.

Hard to cook stuff at that temp, but I'm just bitter 'cause I had a really good wing recipe going until I learned about smoking points.

sdre
06-06-2006, 09:10 PM
very awesome replies! thank you all for replying.

one last question. why can't i do high heat cooking on olive oil?

thanks again guys/gals. :D

ZaC851
06-06-2006, 10:34 PM
Try some coconut milk, pineapple chunks and vodka flavored protein powder... or vanilla will do! LOL mmMMMm

vodka flavored protien powder?? what the hell hahahah

TechMetalMan
06-07-2006, 03:00 AM
Try coconut milk in your chocolate shake OMG!

What does coconut milk do for you. Besides extra cals are there any other health benefits?

Holto
06-07-2006, 01:08 PM
very awesome replies! thank you all for replying.

one last question. why can't i do high heat cooking on olive oil?

thanks again guys/gals. :D

Chemistry 101:

Light
Heat
Air

All cause chemical reactions.

Take water for example. A little heat and it changes form into a gas. Concrete on the other hand will go to a few thousand degrees before it even really heats up.

Olive Oil taken above it's smoking point will turn into *other* substances, none of which are nutritious.

onemorerep
06-07-2006, 05:51 PM
I use olive oil in this homemade wieght gaining shake (2 scoops of protien 2 spoons of pb a bannana and 1 tbs of olive oil mixed with milk) but im not sure why. Wont that extra fat make me get fat? I want to get big but what does fat have to do with muscle?

Built
06-07-2006, 05:53 PM
It's calories.

Fats are important for proper endocrine function, too.

TechMetalMan
06-07-2006, 08:51 PM
What are the differences between OO and eVOO- is it simply taste- or health?

RedSpikeyThing
06-07-2006, 09:49 PM
What are the differences between OO and eVOO- is it simply taste- or health?

Have fun! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extra_virgin_olive_oil#Grades_and_classification

Extra virgin OO is the oil produced from the first pressing of the olives. "regular" OO is more refined and can have chemicals added, depending on the grade. Since extra virgin OO is unprocessed, I would regard it as healthier.

sdre
06-08-2006, 11:38 AM
Chemistry 101:

Light
Heat
Air

All cause chemical reactions.

Take water for example. A little heat and it changes form into a gas. Concrete on the other hand will go to a few thousand degrees before it even really heats up.

Olive Oil taken above it's smoking point will turn into *other* substances, none of which are nutritious.

I see. thanks alot. :)

dtshen
11-06-2006, 08:44 AM
i've been frying with olive oil as well... and yea it does smoke a bit. ... so i'm wondering if it turns the olive oil into something bad to eat? is it still a good source of fat?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
11-06-2006, 11:39 AM
^^

If it starts smoking, you're cooking it at too high of a temperature and you are ruining the good aspects of the olive oil. Olive oil has a much lower cooking temperature than something like vegetable oil.