PDA

View Full Version : holy hell bench video

biggimp
06-06-2006, 01:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBrkpKwpoRs&search=bench%20press%20bodybuilding%20weightlifting%20strongman%20powerlifting

somebody posted this in the members pics section (no not a member from here thankfully)

but seriously, people train to bench like this? maybe i am dumb, but why would you train to lower the bar down to your belly button? in all his shirted presses, the bar goes down to the top of his belt!

A: isnt it dangerous to be moving the bar that much horizontally
B: is there even one federation that lets you lower the bar that far below your nipples? if so what one? because i have never seen or heard of such things...

Saint Patrick
06-06-2006, 01:44 PM
I think he's bring it down that far to use his lats more. Either way, horrible form.

And gloves are for weenies.

Jinkies
06-06-2006, 01:57 PM
That was pretty bad hes having to do extra movements and just all around horrible form; i keep an arc in my back when maxing but i dont touch lower then 2 inches below my nipples, hes going all the way to his bellybutton

WillKuenzel
06-06-2006, 01:59 PM
I lower the bar to my sternum. Watch some of the higher level benchers. They bench low too.

Honestly, the forms not that bad as far as powerlifting goes. There's many things that could be better, but its not horrid.

biggimp
06-06-2006, 02:04 PM
but once again, he is lowering it below his ribcage! i cant imagine a federation that that is a legal lift in?

WillKuenzel
06-06-2006, 02:14 PM
Taken from the APF/AAPF rule book:
"As long as the bar is not so low that it touches the lifter’s belt, it is acceptable."

bigbadwolfe
06-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Hey guys that is a contest legal bench. I dont go quite that far butyeah that is legal in some feds. I land just below my sternum and I arch my back like crazy.Its not about the form it is about moving as much weight from point A to point B in the shortest distance.And as fast as possible, that is why some critics say it aint benching, but it is :)

Wolfy!!!!

biggimp
06-06-2006, 02:39 PM
i wasnt questioning the arch at all, just how low. its nice that i learned something new though!

KevinStarke
06-06-2006, 02:55 PM
Looks like an APF/AAPF lifter, I bring the bar to my upper abs usually.

Jinkies
06-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Although legal i found it crazy how he benches diaganally instead of up and down

Guido
06-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Part of it may be the groove of the bench shirt he's using. I think his form is just fine. He's a powerlifter, therefore his form is going to be what will allow him to be the most stable and move the most weight. I do exactly the same things he's doing when I bench close-grip and in the shirt.

drew
06-06-2006, 04:11 PM
I don't really see anything wrong. He could get tighter on the bench, his legs are kinda all over the place on a few sets. Other than that, looks ok.

KevinStarke
06-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Although legal i found it crazy how he benches diaganally instead of up and down

The majority of shirted lifters bring the bar down at an angle to their upper stomach or wherever they touch and then drive up and bring it back at an angle to get their elbows directly under their wrists for lockout.

Clifford Gillmore
06-06-2006, 04:40 PM
The majority of shirted lifters bring the bar down at an angle to their upper stomach or wherever they touch and then drive up and bring it back at an angle to get their elbows directly under their wrists for lockout.

+involves more shoulds and triceps into the press, and the pecs are stronger with that movement.

Bruce Stotler
06-06-2006, 04:41 PM
The form is not that bad. I usually touch upper abs, even without a shirt. That usually what happens when you tuck the elbows. Takes some stress off the shoulders also.

bigbadwolfe
06-06-2006, 07:04 PM
Sup Bruce?

bigbadwolfe
06-06-2006, 07:05 PM
Hey guys Bruce here was also a good help in getting me back in the sport. I actually took over his spot for a while as Ohio'd APA chair person for about a yr. He is a great guy to!!!!

drew
06-06-2006, 07:33 PM
Hey Bruce. Good to have you here.

Love the avatar. I have that as my wallpaper at work.

Saggas
06-06-2006, 07:49 PM
question, what does having the arc in your back do? just looks awkard (sp)?

KevinStarke
06-06-2006, 11:09 PM
Lessesn your ROM and helps utilize your lower pectorals more as well as taking stress of the shoulders.

DokterVet
06-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Woah, that guy has an intense arch.

WBBIRL
06-07-2006, 05:14 PM
I dont think I could bench 135lbs using that form....

On an interesting note, im not 100% sure how far down the sternum is but when I bench I bring the bar right just right below the pecs. And I could never ever arch that much, Im not sure I can arch at all but next time im going to find out for ****s and what not.

bill
06-07-2006, 06:13 PM
Not bad form, but did you see 365 miss almost lost it!

CDONDICI
06-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Do you guys stay up on your toes like that guy, or do you keep your feet flat, I was told by a former PLer to keep my feet flat and drive with my heels.

WillKuenzel
06-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Do you guys stay up on your toes like that guy, or do you keep your feet flat, I was told by a former PLer to keep my feet flat and drive with my heels.

Different federations allow different stances. USAPL says the feet much but flat or at least that the heel and ball of your foot stay in contact with the ground. APF allows just the toes to touch.

Personally I get more drive if my whole foot is in contact with the ground. Getting up on my toes does nothing more for my arch since I'm already pretty flexible.

Deadlifter
06-14-2006, 04:19 PM
Why is it that whenever someone moves some heavy ass weight all the bodybuilders chime in and say, "OMG he's going to hurt himself! That looked horrible!"

smalls
06-14-2006, 05:40 PM
Why is it that whenever someone moves some heavy ass weight all the bodybuilders chime in and say, "OMG he's going to hurt himself! That looked horrible!"

Because bodybuilders use considerably different form, and most guys here are pretty young and not exposed to much powerlifting. Pretty simple explanation.

And I didnt think the form was sad, but the fact that he had to use THAT form to lift THAT weight was sad. I may be mistaken but neither of those guys look to be very light. IMO that doesnt look like heavy ass weight to over 200lb "powerlifters" Maybe that's also where some people have a problem with the form.