PDA

View Full Version : high-dextrose foods

def_con_3
06-06-2006, 01:55 PM
Hi. I can't get my hands on any dextrose right now, but I was wondering if they're any foods out there that contain relatively high amounts of dextrose for post workout consumption. For now I can only really get my hands on pixy stix as I heard that they contain dextrose - are there any negatives of getting dextrose in this form? Are there any other food options other than pure dextrose?

Saint Patrick
06-06-2006, 02:25 PM
smarties candy or pixy stix are fine if you can't get the real thing.

getfit
06-06-2006, 02:27 PM
dextrose is sugar so.... candy, m&m's etc...

RedSpikeyThing
06-06-2006, 02:29 PM
Well ya learn something every day.
I just searched "dextrose" on google (you should try it sometime ;)) and apparently dextrose is the same as glucose. Table sugar, my guess to what is in pixy sticks, is pure sucrose. So no, pixy sticks are not what you want.

I'm not sure what would be high in pure glucose, but have a poke around your local drug store....might have something that can help you out. Check the area where they keep supplies for diabetics.

Holto
06-06-2006, 02:56 PM
I just searched "dextrose" on google (you should try it sometime ;)) and apparently dextrose is the same as glucose. Table sugar, my guess to what is in pixy sticks, is pure sucrose. So no, pixy sticks are not what you want.

I'm not sure what would be high in pure glucose, but have a poke around your local drug store....might have something that can help you out. Check the area where they keep supplies for diabetics.

Table sugar is sucrose. A mix of glucose and fructose.

Dextrose is d-glucose.

def_con_3
06-06-2006, 03:24 PM

Actually, I just got some pixy stix and candy necklaces, and I found that pixy stix are made of mostly dextrose while candy necklaces are made of dextrose, glucose syrup, and maltodextrin.