PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Loose The Gut... *please*

gunman
06-08-2006, 07:35 AM
i'm 6ft tall 212 lbs. i'm 25 years old and have a gut like a pregnant chick. i mean these love handles will not go away. i work out 4 to 5 times a week. 1 hour of lifting and 20 - 30 mins cardio each day at the gym. is this not enough cardio? i'm not too sure what my body fat percentage is but i'm sure it's pretty high. i just started using protein everyday i go to the gym i take in about 200 grams each time. i eat alot of tuna fish and salad. i guess i know what i have to do, more cardio? but i would like to know if any of you have any other suggestions? i think i look really unproportioned? it's all in the gut and love handles. someone please help!

Thanks

TwiloMike
06-08-2006, 07:36 AM
Shut your mouth. That'll do it.

Progress
06-08-2006, 07:39 AM
1. Wrong forum
2. www.fitday.com
3. WBB1 or BGB
4. Stop doing cardio unless it's HIIT

Also, no one "uses" protein. You eat it!

gunman
06-08-2006, 07:44 AM
Shut your mouth. That'll do it.

open yours and i'll do something

gunman
06-08-2006, 07:50 AM
1. Wrong forum
2. www.fitday.com
3. WBB1 or BGB
4. Stop doing cardio unless it's HIIT

Also, no one "uses" protein. You eat it!

why stop doing cardio? i thought that's how you loose weight? burn cals? and i know you ear protein? i actually drink protein shakes. do you?

TwiloMike
06-08-2006, 07:53 AM
open yours and i'll do something
Excuse me? What I told you is what will help you lose fat. What you said is an insult.

To expand on what I said- consume less calories than you burn. It isn't rocket science.

Progress
06-08-2006, 07:55 AM
why stop doing cardio? i thought that's how you loose weight? burn cals? and i know you ear protein? i actually drink protein shakes. do you?

It depends on your definition of "cardio." I'm assuming you mean a sustained aerobic activity like running, biking, elliptical. If you do these for a longish period of time your body will burn muscle as well as fat. If you get your calories straightened away and you lift heavy weights you can recompose your body. Do I drink protein shakes? Yes.

gunman
06-08-2006, 07:55 AM
Excuse me? What I told you is what will help you lose fat. What you said is an insult.

To expand on what I said- consume less calories than you burn. It isn't rocket science.

sh*t. sorry. i get it. i'm not good at the internets. i'm done. haha.

gunman
06-08-2006, 07:59 AM
It depends on your definition of "cardio." I'm assuming you mean a sustained aerobic activity like running, biking, elliptical. If you do these for a longish period of time your body will burn muscle as well as fat. If you get your calories straightened away and you lift heavy weights you can recompose your body. Do I drink protein shakes? Yes.

so it's not good to do cardio (elypto) after lifting? do you suggest i try doing these on seperate days?

Progress
06-08-2006, 08:13 AM
so it's not good to do cardio (elypto) after lifting? do you suggest i try doing these on seperate days?

Yes. However, if you do do them on the same day put a meal in between them.

gunman
06-08-2006, 08:19 AM
3 days lifting / 2 days cardio? i really don't see why lifting and doing cardio is so bad? afterall isn't that almost like circuit training?

ddegroff
06-08-2006, 08:24 AM
Your main goal is create a caloric deficit. The main way you should do this is lower you caloric intake (eat less than maintenance, ~20% less or 500cals less). Cardio helps make this deficit greater not burn the fat off. For cardio to do that you would need to burn off all of your glycogen stores, then go at a low intensity for a LONG duration (not fun).

What do your macro's look like (besides the protein)?

gunman
06-08-2006, 08:30 AM
i also forgot to mention that i have a desk job. when i use to do construction, i was about 20 lbs lighter but not as strong. i like being as strong as i am now but i'd love to drop 15 - 20 lbs.

ClubberLang
06-08-2006, 08:49 AM
All but Eliminate:
White Bread
White Rice
Soda/Juice
Anything where the main ingredient is Enriched White Flour
Added Sugar to anything you eat

Add:
EFA's
Oats
Whole Wheat Bread
Lotsa Protein (meat fish eggs whey)
Splenda
Green Veggies
Yams/Brown Rice

Eat most of your Carbs before and after Workouts. Lift Heavier than average.

Progress
06-08-2006, 09:24 AM
3 days lifting / 2 days cardio? i really don't see why lifting and doing cardio is so bad? afterall isn't that almost like circuit training?

That's fine. All I'm saying is that if you run for like 40 minutes it can be bad because as others have mentioned you will burn glycogen stores and muscle in addition to fat. Also, like others have mentioned, unless you cut your calories what you're doing in the gym will have an insignificant affect on your overall goal.

Rule of thumb here is to get your diet in check and lift heavy weights. It has worked for a lot of people. Run for your heart, not for fat burning.

That's it.

teck
06-08-2006, 10:15 AM
and read the sight. not trying to jump on the band waggon and slate you down mate but it wouldnt help if you done a bit of research yourself. People will get annoyed if you just come on ask and then get your answer and leave.

Its a 2 way thing educate yourself (by all means ask questions but see if you can find the answer yourself first) and then give back your knowledge.

There are plenty of stickys regarding diet and BB routines, that is why they are there so they do not get deleted for new people like you can find them easily

gunman
06-08-2006, 10:25 AM
i have done my research. i just feel i'm at a plateau. i've been the same weight for 5 years now. and i don't just ask a question and leave. i'm on just about every day to collect info. just like i said, i feel i'm not doing something right.

*someone please delete my thread. it's obviously pointless. thank you!

time2grown06
06-08-2006, 10:43 AM
i'm glad i read this thread...i needed a chuckle.

gunman
06-08-2006, 10:57 AM
i'm glad i read this thread...i needed a chuckle.

i'm glad you're laughing but... i still look like i'm a month overdue :-(

Built
06-08-2006, 12:47 PM
Read the cutting link in my sig - it'll help you start to figure out how to eat to drop weight.

You really can't exercise it off. You diet off the WEIGHT, and train heavy to keep the muscle, so you drop fat instead.

Cardio helps create the deficit, but most of that should come from your diet.

lifter4life
06-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Start tracking your calories. If you are plateauing it is because you are not burning as many calories as you are eating. The reason people are saying not to do cardio is because muscle can be burned while in a caloric deficit and you want to keep the muscle because more muscle = more calories burned on a daily basis. I also wouldn't recommend eating 200g protein a day just because everyone else on here does it. Find the right balance of macros for satiety and don't ditch too much carbs or else you WILL be burning muscle when you do cardio. You should also eat 4-6 times daily.

Sorry for the organization/sentence structure. I have been writing papers all week and don't feel like doing more.