PDA

View Full Version : ephedra while bulking

dtshen
06-08-2006, 11:10 AM
If I am taking 50 mg of ephedra a day while bulking, about how many more calories woudl i Need to intake in order to offset the ephedra?

obvious answer is not to take ephedra, but i use it sometimes to stay awake.

bdd814
06-08-2006, 02:48 PM
You could use caffeine pills. Ephedra during bulking may prove to hinder your progress as it suppresses the appeite.

DavyRen
06-08-2006, 03:14 PM
Would caffeine tablets not be the answer then if you must resort to a stimulant to give you energy.

More importantly why are you so tired?

ReDo
06-11-2006, 10:59 PM
More importantly, where are you getting the ephedra? I used to use Ripped Fuel for the same reasons you do. I was too tired to workout and I would pop a couple pills 30 mins before I intended to workout just to get me motivated.

I never did a control so I don't know if it hindered me. I got plenty big using the stuff but I will concede I got my biggest gains when I stopped using it. This could partially be due to the fact I was the most informed and educated about body building (diet, routine) later in life and that coincided with me not taking ephedra anymore.

But, at this point in my life I wouldn't mind using ephedra to get me in the gym more times a week. I work 70 hours a week and I have litte time to lift anymore let alone energy for a good workout.

Built
06-11-2006, 11:11 PM
Ephedrine tends to put the body into a more insulin resistant state - handy on a cut, not so grand on a bulk (affects partioning).

HILL
06-12-2006, 03:20 AM
i wouldnt worry about it to much. just make sure your eat enough to gain

Nosaj
06-29-2006, 09:27 AM
If I am taking 50 mg of ephedra a day while bulking, about how many more calories woudl i Need to intake in order to offset the ephedra?

obvious answer is not to take ephedra, but i use it sometimes to stay awake.

I don't think you need to take ANY calories to offset the ephedra. As long as you keep eating in a calorie surplus, you'll bulk just dandy. If you notice weight gains slowing down, up your daily calories til you start gainin'. Good luck fatty. :)

Progress
06-29-2006, 09:54 AM
Ephedrine tends to put the body into a more insulin resistant state - handy on a cut, not so grand on a bulk (affects partioning).

If it affects partitioning (more muscle than fat) isn't that a good thing?

Progress
06-30-2006, 08:03 AM
Answer my question! Just kidding. But seriously, answer it. :D

TheGimp
06-30-2006, 08:21 AM
I assume she means it affects partioning negatively.

Progress
06-30-2006, 08:45 AM
I assume she means it affects partioning negatively.

How negatively? Does it favor fat storage as opposed to muscle building? Or does it burn them for energy?

TheGimp
06-30-2006, 09:40 AM
Well if it increases insulin resistance then we're talking reduced glucose uptake by muscles.

Built
06-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Exactly. By everything, as I understand it.

Progress
06-30-2006, 10:09 AM
Oh, ok. So let me get the basics. Calories are either partitioned to muscles, fat storage or used as energy, correct? Ephedrine favors partitioning toward energy. Basic conclusion?

EDIT: Oh, I have another question. If ephedrine negatively affects calorie partitioning, why does Lyle recommend it in UD2 where people have the possibility of losing fat and gaining LBM?

TheGimp
06-30-2006, 11:00 AM
EDIT: Oh, I have another question. If ephedrine negatively affects calorie partitioning, why does Lyle recommend it in UD2 where people have the possibility of losing fat and gaining LBM?

He only recommends it for the low carb/calorie phase of the diet:

When you diet, it's actually better to be insulin resistant (note that two of the most effective diet drugs, GH and clenbuterol/ephedrine cause insulin resistance).

By the time you reach the carb load on Thursday he recommends caffeine rather than ephedrine for a preworkout stimulant:

Some caffeine and 1-3 grams of the amino acid l-tyrosine will give you a nice pre-workout stimulant effect (to make you strong in the gym) without keeping you awake like ephedrine would.

And he points out it's a pretty negative impact on carb loading:

Thermogenics like ephedrine and clen impair insulin sensitivity which will limit the effectiveness of your carb-load.

All quotes taken from UD2.0 by Lyle McDonald (www.bodyrecomposition.com).

Progress
06-30-2006, 11:10 AM
He only recommends it for the low carb/calorie phase of the diet:

By the time you reach the carb load on Thursday he recommends caffeine rather than ephedrine for a preworkout stimulant:

And he points out it's a pretty negative impact on carb loading:

All quotes taken from UD2.0 by Lyle McDonald (www.bodyrecomposition.com).

Ah, thus cycling it. Thanks. I've only skimmed it so I'm not fully informed. I plan on reading the whole thing, maybe even twice, before I go on it. Which won't be for a while.