PDA

View Full Version : carbs and fat in protein shake?

shiggy
06-09-2006, 08:30 AM
I heard that most regular meals of the day should be split into either protein and carbs or protein and fats. Should the same be applied to protien shakes. Because apparently carbs and fats don't digest well together or something. So would it be a bad idea eat oats (carbs) and milk/olive oil (fats) together. Or would it not make that much difference? Thanks.

HILL
06-09-2006, 08:55 AM
well the idea is to get protein with every meal as we are bodybuilders/weightlifters and are trying to get the required amount of protein during the day its more conveniant and easier on our systems to get protein in every meal. hence the protein and carb/protein and fat/protein,carbs and fat splits

Saint Patrick
06-09-2006, 09:56 AM
Because apparently carbs and fats don't digest well together or something.

That's a myth, you can eat all 3 together.

KingWilder
06-09-2006, 09:57 AM
that shake is fine...I add olive oil to mine all the time, however, right before and after a workout I think you want to stick with just protein and carbs

Saint Patrick
06-09-2006, 10:07 AM
right before and after a workout I think you want to stick with just protein and carbs

Good point. Avoid fats an hour before and after your workout.

Built
06-09-2006, 10:26 AM
Shiggy- there may be reasons to separate out carb from fat, but in my experience, mostly it's just comfortable. Some of us get freakishly hungry when we eat carbs, so saving those to target around when we lift is prudent.

Reducing carbs stimulates insulin resistance, which, on a cut, as I understand it, is a good thing. Spiking insulin right after you lift takes advantage of post-workout insulin sensitivity, hence the partioning effect. I seem to recall reading something by McDonald on this subject for a low-carb bulk as well, but I don't have it handy.

Ultimately, macronutrient timing is a small player in the physique game - get the big stuff worked out before you worry about the minutia.

My .02