PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift Review

emjlr3
06-09-2006, 04:27 PM
a few days ago I asked about back pain from deadlifts, you can see the thread here

http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=80397

I made the remark that I felt my form was perfect, i was told no one's is perfect, and to post a vid, so here it is

this is my very last set

I tried getting a vid of my 385, camera ran outa space, then tried on my 425, camera still ran out of space even after deleting everything else, I wasn't going to take a vid of my single at 485(which btw came up very easy!!!! :) ), so i lowered the resolution of the vids and recorded my cooldown set with 315, this is my 5th working set of deads(my first workout) for the day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PHcoNbZm58

what yall think?

D Breyer
06-09-2006, 04:41 PM
Your form looks fine to me... nice work on 485.

Sidior
06-09-2006, 05:11 PM
form looks solid

drew
06-09-2006, 05:13 PM
Arch your lower back and get your hips a little lower. You're rounding your back throughout the pull and that will definitely lead to some low back pain.

dw06wu
06-09-2006, 08:55 PM
you arent starting low enough, and your shoulders are too far in front of the bar.

MeHoW
06-09-2006, 10:42 PM
Glad to see more Polish people on the forum, where do you live ?

Great lift too.

Alex.V
06-09-2006, 11:24 PM
I think your pain could be coming from the descent. You look fine coming up, but lean forward to lower the weight long before your legs start bending enough. If you were to play this in reverse (make your eccentric concentric), it'd look almost like you were doing stiff legged deadlifts. If you want to lower the weight (and not just slam it down in a clatter of plates and chalk dust like I do) then make sure your form is impeccable throughout. Bend those legs and take care when you put the weight down, otherwise you're essentially allowing the weight to accelerate out of control while your muscles are lengthening. Bad idea.

Edit: Watched it a few more times manually moving the video back and forth, and on review it doesn't look that extreme... there's still a little less leg bend on the way down until the plates hit than at a similar point on the way up. Your eccentric overall still does give me the impression of being much looser than your concentric, however.

emjlr3
06-11-2006, 04:43 PM
so in conclusion.....start with my ass lower, and my back arched more and shoulders back? and drop the weight more with my legs and not just my back?

Goodwinm
06-11-2006, 05:06 PM
sweeet lifting! But yes go lower! really push your ass out like u were doing a squat!

i cant belieev that 485 deadlift man! I do believe it, but thats insane! lol. good job.
Well not as insane if you were 150lbs and did it but still great nonetheless!

emjlr3
06-11-2006, 08:37 PM
meh it was actually 475 i think. i added wrong, but i had more in the tank(came up pretty easy), and it was my 4th heavy set.....so I think i could pull 500 pretty good...though with this new technique ima try and use...we'll see

Goodwinm
06-12-2006, 12:06 AM
meh it was actually 475 i think. i added wrong, but i had more in the tank(came up pretty easy), and it was my 4th heavy set.....so I think i could pull 500 pretty good...though with this new technique ima try and use...we'll see
id llove to see that 500 video man ;)

Patz
06-12-2006, 08:41 PM
I agree with the others. Too much back, not enough legs.

I did the same thing, and had the same back pain. It's right along the spine at the bottom, and pretty much starts by the time you leave the gym (if not sooner). It lasts just long enough to **** up your squatting, but feels better in time for deads day.

Since I cleaned up my deadlift form, and started Good Mornings, my squat has gone through the roof.

emjlr3
06-13-2006, 08:07 AM
well see....i still feel my back and ofcourse it is leg day :(

ill try to use more legs next leg day, and try and keep my back as straight as possible, hopefully it dont hit my weight at it too much

Anthony
06-13-2006, 08:16 AM
I agree with the others. Also keep in mind that lower weight done for reps usually has better form than a max effort. So your back pain is most likely related to your form. It's not horrible, but like all of us, it can be improved upon. Congrats on the 475!

Guido
06-13-2006, 08:40 AM
Like others said, get your butt down. Drive through your heels, keeping your weight back. Trust me, the weight will counterbalance you so you won't fall back. Don't start to lock out your knees till the bar is at or past them. Finally, don't wear pants to do deadlifts. Wear shorts, baby powder your legs, and slide the bar up them. Wear just your socks or very low heeled shoes (like wrestling shoes). I guarantee you'll pull 500, then.

emjlr3
06-13-2006, 11:46 AM
aight ty for the help guys

sdre
06-13-2006, 11:53 AM
looking great. strong as well.