PDA

View Full Version : Grip strength and Palming Basketball

teenathlete3030
06-09-2006, 06:05 PM
I can't palm a basketball yet, which if I could I'd be a lot closer to dunking. Right now I always loose the ball above the rim. Anyways, I saw one of my teammates palming the ball and went to check his hand size. They were the exact same size as mine. But his fingers were a little thicker. I've never had a particularily strong grip, so I think that grip training is what I need.

I'm looking for exercises, but more importantly exercises that will help directly with the type of gripping involved in palming a basketball. :hello:

D Breyer
06-09-2006, 06:22 PM
Try pinching as many 10 lb plates as you can hold for as long as you can hold them for.

arya202
06-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Try pinching as many 10 lb plates as you can hold for as long as you can hold them for.

That's pretty good, did you just think of it?

D Breyer
06-09-2006, 07:58 PM
That's pretty good, did you just think of it?
Nope, somebody posted it awhile back for somebody with the same sort of problem... I do them every now and then when I blast my forearms, and this exercise is perfect for doing just that.

teenathlete3030
06-09-2006, 10:02 PM
Thanks. I'll try that. Just do sets then like a normal exercise?

teenathlete3030
06-11-2006, 06:36 PM
I just bought one of those Nike Cage Grip balls that are supposed to be better for dunking because of the superior grip and it definitely helps. Where I was having the ball rim out even on a 9.5 hoop I'm not throwing them down effortlessly. Haven't tried a 10 foot rim yet. I'm still going to be strengthing my grip like a banshee because high school doesn't use cage grip balls.