PDA

View Full Version : Grippers and Nail Bending

Hazerboy
06-10-2006, 03:42 PM
I'm getting pretty interested in grip strength, specifically for wrestling, but also because it would be pretty cool to bend a large nail in front of my friends. So currently I'm doing some sandbag work as well as static towell holds and hammer excercises a few times a week after my regular workout, and I'd like to incorportate grippers and nail bending. I found "Eric's nail bending site" which has been posted here several times, but i'm wondering with all of the other grip work i'm doing, how often should I bend and grip?

Also I"m thinking of investing in a gripper, though I have no idea which type to get. I got one a long time ago at Dick's that was adjustable, and now I can close it very easily even on the hardest setting, though I have no idea what kind of gripper to step up to next.

this site:http://www.leehayward.com/heavygrips.htm has a pretty good deal for two grippers, though I am unsure if I should get the 100 + 150 or 150 + 200? I've also looked over the Captains of crush gripper site, but they are a little more expensive. What would you guys recommend?

Patz
06-10-2006, 04:53 PM
I recently bought the entire Heavy Grips set for 60 bucks.

You can't beat that deal. Check their website...

Patz
06-10-2006, 04:54 PM
http://www.heavygrips.com/

Looks like they still have a nice deal going...

Hazerboy
06-10-2006, 08:06 PM
heh heh, thats the website that I posted earlier. :D

However, despite the claims on the front page, how fast can the average person progress from gripper to gripper? Can I really make it to the 300 in only "3 months" starting from the 200?

SaVvY
06-11-2006, 11:49 AM
heh heh, thats the website that I posted earlier. :D

However, despite the claims on the front page, how fast can the average person progress from gripper to gripper? Can I really make it to the 300 in only "3 months" starting from the 200?
erm..it depends, its possible to make really quick progress of course, but most people are not gonna be like that

a mistake people make with grippers is to think the names are actually the resistence e.g i cant yet completely shut the ironmind #3, yet i can shut my hg300 for 14 reps - the #3 is rated @ 280lbs, hg'300' does not mean 300lbs

i would get the ironmind trainer if you can only afford one gripper, if not id get the trainer and the #1

you should train your grip only a couple of times a week - if you do it too often you will destroy your tendons

i dont recommend attempting to bend actual nails as they can very easily end up sticking out the end of a finger - not purchased them yet myself, but ive heard the ironmind nails (actually steel rods) are a good buy - bending is more of a upper body workout than just a grip workout so a lot of people like to do it at the end of there pressing workouts

Hazerboy
06-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Oh yeah I was aware that you can't compare the two grippers. It has to do with how they measure the lbs pressure needed to close them (I believe the HG ones use torque and convert it lbs? something like that.)

Also, as It advices on the page, i'm not actually going to be bending nails, but steel rods that I'll cut into peices. It also advises wrapping them with a rag of some sort to keep from bruising the heck out of your hands, so I'll probably do that also.

Also I was thinking I would probably train my grip hard about 3 times a week, but I'll train different types on different days, e.g. static grip one day, pinch grip another, crushing a different day... You get the picture. :D

SaVvY
06-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Oh yeah I was aware that you can't compare the two grippers. It has to do with how they measure the lbs pressure needed to close them (I believe the HG ones use torque and convert it lbs? something like that.)

Also, as It advices on the page, i'm not actually going to be bending nails, but steel rods that I'll cut into peices. It also advises wrapping them with a rag of some sort to keep from bruising the heck out of your hands, so I'll probably do that also.

Also I was thinking I would probably train my grip hard about 3 times a week, but I'll train different types on different days, e.g. static grip one day, pinch grip another, crushing a different day... You get the picture. :D
yeh thats sound

you should sign up - gripboard.com

RickTheDestroyer
06-12-2006, 07:27 AM
I can explain the discrepancy between grippers. The HG grippers measure the force required to close at the center of the handles, whereas the ironmind grippers are measured at the ends of the handles (which is the point of strongest leverage). If you were to measure the closed CoC #3 at the center of the handles it would be substantially higher than 300 pounds, which is consistent with most people's experiences.

I have the HG set, although the HG100 was too easy from the beginning. I'm about a gnat's ass away from closing the HG250. I had planned on having it shut by now, but my cut has had an impact on my progress. I still plan to nail the HG300 by Christmas. My little brother has one of those Ivanko supergrippers, and I like the variable resistance that it offers.

Hazerboy
06-17-2006, 11:29 PM
so along with my 3 day a week split i'm planning on doing some gripper training each time, along with either nail bending, hammer work, or pinch grip stuff. I'll also have some assistance grip work with deads, cleans, thick bar curls, pull-ups, etc. etc. How does that sound?

KevinStarke
06-18-2006, 01:30 PM
I'm a fan of the CoCs

SkinnySadMan
06-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Anyone know of Canadian sites that sell these kind of grippers that also accept Canadian Personal checks ?

Goodwinm
06-18-2006, 05:40 PM
Anyone know of Canadian sites that sell these kind of grippers that also accept Canadian Personal checks ?
I found ebay canada which has the CoC #1 and #2 for sale.

http://search.ebay.ca/captains-of-crush_W0QQfcdZ2QQfclZ3QQfnuZ1

Not sure if they accept Canadian Personal Checks tho.

Edit: Says they accept

Paypal
Credit card or Pre-authorized Debit through PayPal

Personal cheque

Money order/Cashiers cheque

SkinnySadMan
06-18-2006, 08:55 PM
Awww... Ebay lol but thanks for replying.

Hazerboy
06-18-2006, 10:39 PM
I didn't really like the CoC because the increments were pretty big - the Heavy Hands grippers (I got the whole set in a few days ago) go by much smaller increments, though maybe after i close the 300 I'll order the CoC 2 and 3.

Goodwinm
06-19-2006, 04:36 AM
Awww... Ebay lol but thanks for replying.
hehe. good old ebay! :p

Dinosaur
06-25-2006, 10:27 AM
If you're going to bend nails, clip off the sharp ends with a pair of cutters first so you don't stab yourself. I typically just do grip 3x a week with my regular routine because like it was said before you can wear out your hands pretty quick trying 5-6 times a week.

For some great info: http://www.thegripboard.com

As for comparing HGs and COCs, I can get the HG250 and working on the 300, but out of the COCs I can close the #2 but still need work on the #3.

Sybersnott
09-05-2006, 10:37 PM
so along with my 3 day a week split i'm planning on doing some gripper training each time, along with either nail bending, hammer work, or pinch grip stuff. I'll also have some assistance grip work with deads, cleans, thick bar curls, pull-ups, etc. etc. How does that sound?

Sounds good, just be sure you DON'T fall into the trap of overtraining, which is very easy to do training grip and I've seen it many times with grip newbies such as yourself. You want to do it all at the same time; my advice is take it slow and concentrate on building a crush grip first and then get into doing the other stuff, i.e., nailbending, levering sledges, heavy plate pinching, etc.

My advice on the COC's is to get the Trainer, the #1 and the #2. Of course, if you like the bargin that Heavy Grips offers, by all means persue that. It is a good bargin and you can get a whole set for less than what you'd get the COC's for. I have the HG300 and the HG400 and have closed both of those. A friend recently loaned me his HG350, a.k.a. THE GRIP MONSTER... I closed it too! :D

Good luck and tell us how you do on the gripwork! You'll love working with the grippers and - BEWARE - they can be very addictive!! ;)

Westsidemonster
09-17-2006, 04:43 AM
I never get the obssession that some people have to strengthen their grip! I just don't get it, what's the point? As long as my grip is strong enough to handle my deadlift, then that's all I need....Am I missing something??

Goodwinm
09-17-2006, 04:52 PM
I never get the obssession that some people have to strengthen their grip! I just don't get it, what's the point? As long as my grip is strong enough to handle my deadlift, then that's all I need....Am I missing something??
Having a super strong grip to me is an obsession because I want to be able to bend iron bars. I want to be able to snap humans bones, and genrally have a punishing grip so I can use it to protect myself.

also. It wud be rele cool to get on the ironmind CoC hall of fame :D

Ricky Bobby
09-17-2006, 05:38 PM
tearing phonebooks in half, rolling up frying pans and exploding apples(awesome vid savvy) are all pretty bada** tricks too.

Ricky Bobby
09-17-2006, 05:40 PM
Listening to you guys talk about grippers inspired me to order the CoC#1. Its on its way.

Westsidemonster
09-18-2006, 04:18 AM
Having a super strong grip to me is an obsession because I want to be able to bend iron bars. I want to be able to snap humans bones, and genrally have a punishing grip so I can use it to protect myself.

also. It wud be rele cool to get on the ironmind CoC hall of fame :D

Oh...I get it now...;)

Goodwinm
09-18-2006, 05:19 AM
Oh...I get it now...;)
hehe ;)