PDA

View Full Version : Russian Bench Routine

Irish92
06-10-2006, 09:13 PM
How does this look as a routine I'm a little unsure about it but it looks like something cool to try.

http://www.fortifiediron.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=38&Itemid=1

drew
06-10-2006, 09:46 PM
It's not bad if you need a laid out program. I've used it with some success. But it really only works once or twice.

Irish92
06-11-2006, 12:19 AM
How much success did you have with it? yes right now I need a laid out routine because I'm only 14 and I don't know much about powerlifting yet to make my own. Do you think I should try it? Also can someone give me a good powerlifting website with routines?

drew
06-11-2006, 11:27 AM
When I used it I added 20 lbs to my bench in a month, but I wasn't benching much at the time.

If you really want to get into PL, I would suggest starting with Joe Defranco's Westside for Skinny Bastards. You can find it on his website or on t-mag.

A lot of PL questions can be answered by going to elitefts.com and reading the articles there. I would start with the Periodization Bible Parts 1 and 2 followed by the Eight Keys part 1-4. It's a lot of reading, but if you're serious, it will really help you with designing a program.

Irish92
06-11-2006, 02:14 PM
What about this westside routine?

Sunday - Speed Day For Bench

Bench 8-10 sets 3 reps (50% 1 rep max, 1 minute between sets, explosive but controlled reps)
Front Presses 3 sets 3-5 reps (pick 1 shoulder exercise)
Standing Front Press
Dumbbell Presses

Tricep Movement - 1 exercise, reps 10-15, 1 minute between sets
Dumbbell Extensions
Pushdowns
Skull Crushers

Upper Back Movement - 3 sets 10-12 reps
Lat Pulldown
Bent-Over Rows
Cable Row
1-Arm Dumbbell Row

Abs and Neck

Monday - Max Effort Day For Squat & Deadlift

Max Effort Exercise - 1 exercise, work to 1 rep max, do not perform two exercises in a row
Front Squat
Pin Lockouts (at different heights)
Hack Squat
Barbell Squat (off a low or high box)
Deadlift (off a platform)
Arch-Back Good Mornings
Stiff-Legs
Belt Squat

Leg Curls 3-4 sets 5-7 reps
Lower Back Movement - switch every 3 weeks
Stiff-Legs (not to be done when using as a max effort exercise)
Hypers
Reverse Hypers

Upper Back Movement - 3 sets 5-7 reps
Lat Pulldown
Bent-Over Rows
Cable Row
1-Arm Dumbbell Row

Biceps and Abs

Wednesday - Max Effort Day For Bench

Max Effort Exercise - same directions as for max day squat and deadlift
Floor Press (shown with one-arm)
Decline Press
Dumbbell For Reps
Close-Grip Press
Incline Press

Tricep Movement - pick two, reps 3-7; take longer between sets for optimal recovery, 3 sets
Dumbbell Extensions
Pushdowns
Skull Crushers

Back Movement - reps 10-12 for 3 sets
Lat Pulldown
Bent-Over Rows
Cable Row
1-Arm Dumbbell Row

Abs and Neck

Friday - Speed For Squat

Box Squats 2 reps with 50-60% of 1 rep max, 1 minute rest between sets
Leg Curls 3 sets 10 reps
Lower Back Movement - same exercise as Monday, but lighter and more reps
Shrugs 3 sets 10-15 reps as you can handle
Biceps and Abs

drew
06-11-2006, 09:07 PM
The basic Westside template is great. Read the articles I directed you to first. The princilpes are pretty basic, but it's not that easy to just throw a program together. Do some reading and get a program together that you can work with.

KingJustin
06-11-2006, 10:58 PM
I like Kyle's routine a lot and have done it a couple times. The first time I added 35 lbs to my bench. The second time, I decided it was lacking too much on back, arm, grip and ab work, as well as cardio, so I tried adding in a little bit of all that. That was a mistake and I was getting stronger and then I got sick.

The routine is excellent for getting a bigger bench, but it really does neglect some other body parts and cardio. I think Westside is a better routine to stick with and get all around stronger.