PDA

View Full Version : How much is too much?

hottytoddychick
06-11-2006, 07:33 AM
My mom says I'm eating unhealthy amounts of tuna, and refuses to buy it if I'm going to eat it like I do.

So I wanted to know- how much tuna does everyone think is "too much?"
At what point is it unhealthy?

~K

lifter4life
06-11-2006, 11:21 AM
It might be different for women but I think one can a day may be too much. I don't eat tuna often but there is this article on t-nation that you can check out if you want to read up a bit.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?article=05-148-diet

drew
06-11-2006, 11:56 AM
Just found this: http://www.ewg.org/issues/mercury/20031209/calculator.php?gclid=CN7Ft9DovoUCFSYoPwodTEHwrw

charles_316
06-11-2006, 11:57 AM
i had a friend who was eating 1 can of tuna a day and got mercury poisoning...

arya202
06-11-2006, 12:25 PM
Get salmon, no mercury!

SaVvY
06-11-2006, 01:18 PM
My mom says I'm eating unhealthy amounts of tuna, and refuses to buy it if I'm going to eat it like I do.

So I wanted to know- how much tuna does everyone think is "too much?"
At what point is it unhealthy?

~K
my mum complains everytime i eat anything - i just ignore her

JaredG
06-11-2006, 01:33 PM
my mum complains everytime i eat anything - i just ignore her

The same thing happens to me.

People like to comment on how "unhealthy" it is for me to eat lots of peanut butter, whole wheat foods, protein shakes, tuna, eggs, milk, etc. But, they say nothing when you stuff your face with fast food and gobs of processed sugars. :scratch: I think from now on I'm just going to turn the tables on them and everytime I see someone eating french fries, ice cream, cookies, etc. I'll just be like "geez, I know where that's going to end up" or "do you just like having to squeeze into your pants in the morning?". That'll show 'em.

I can't offer a scientific answer to your problem. But, I can tell you that for a long time, until I got burned out on it, I was eating a family pack of tuna and a half gallon of milk every day for lunch. I'm still alive and seem to be pretty mercury free.

You could always switch to salmon as mentioned above. :thumbup:

craigcaski
06-11-2006, 03:47 PM
i took a nutrition course last semester and i asked my professor this exact question. she said it depends on where the tuna comes from. apparently the tuna from the NE US has more than the kind i buy, which comes from the gulf of mexico and she said is safe to eat once a day.

PhilsterT
06-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Wait...does salmon in a can really have no mercury? And, how expensive is this stuff?

ReDo
06-11-2006, 10:28 PM
Wait...does salmon in a can really have no mercury? And, how expensive is this stuff?

Mercury schmercury. I used to eat two cans a day and never noted any adverse effects.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Mercury schmercury. I used to eat two cans a day and never noted any adverse effects.That doesn't mean everyone else will have the same experience as you.

ReDo
06-11-2006, 10:49 PM
That doesn't mean everyone else will have the same experience as you.

True, and who knows there could be something transpiring latently that will bite me in the ass when I'm 65.

hottytoddychick
06-12-2006, 05:45 AM
So, Mum bought tuna, I'm allowed to eat it. She was actually going to hide it from me! Can you believe that!?!? I just can't eat as much as I want.

Does salmon really not have mercury? That's awesome!

Kimberly

Beast
06-12-2006, 07:44 AM
All of the fish have varying amounts of mercury.
Shark, swordfish, king mackerel, and tilefish have the highest levels of mercury.
Shrimp, canned light tuna, salmon, pollock, and catfish have low levels of mercury.
Albacore tuna has more mercury than canned light tuna.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html

djreef
06-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Wild sockeye salmon caught up around northern Alaska has the lowest levels of the salmon types. They're a physically smaller fish so there are fewer top line contaminants, as a result of their diet being predominantly planktonic, in nature.

DJ

accuFLEX
06-12-2006, 12:55 PM
I read somewhere (on t-nation I think) That a 200lb guy can eat up to 5 cans of tuna a week and not worry. Any more would be "unsafe"

betastas
06-12-2006, 05:28 PM
Mercury poisoning isn't a switch that is just thrown. A study on Japanese fish consumption showed a high correlation between mercury content in hair and nails and daily consumption. Some of the side effects were pretty minor, but there was also a correlation between sterility/impotence and mercury consumption in their study groups. I don't have the link for the study, but I believe it was linked to by www.mercola.com. If you fish (hehe) around there you will probably be able to find it.

The mercury content in tuna varies with season, age, location, size and primary diets (also linked to location and size).

Turnip
06-12-2006, 05:54 PM
Were talking mercury as in that thing that is solid when its cold and liquid and liquid at room temperature or something like that? Do fish get it from our polluted water or is it natural in them?

Built
06-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Were talking mercury as in that thing that is solid when its cold and liquid and liquid at room temperature or something like that? Do fish get it from our polluted water or is it natural in them?

Isn't everything solid when it's cold and liquid at warmer temperatures?

(Okay, except CO2 - it sublimes directly into gas)

Axatem
06-12-2006, 07:56 PM
CO2 will stay a liquid if the pressure's right...

Built
06-12-2006, 08:11 PM
Smart ass.

;)

Axatem
06-12-2006, 08:12 PM
:angel:

pakse
06-15-2006, 03:34 PM
Consumer Reports in a very recent issue conducted an excellent study of mercury in tuna. They found that "light" tuna did not contain less mercury than the Albacore.

Also - the younger you are, the worse it is. Essentially if your body is growing - more than 1 can a week is a bad idea.

I love tuna. But I really don't need mercury poisoning. It's bad, it's real and it will screw you up. Enjoy your tuna, just limit yourself to a can a week if you are still growing.

Keep the faith,

Pakse

ottomanart
06-17-2006, 08:24 PM
Get salmon, no mercury!

Change up the meat... you can get different kinds of canned fish which are all high in protien. Also from what I have been told, a can on tuna has the same amount of protien as the adverage Protien Shake (give or take). Just change up how you get your protien!
There is always a good can of :spam:

gains2385
06-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Guys, I was eating about 3 cans a day for about a month...I thought that you could only get mercury posioning from the big tuna, and the canned tuna was the small tuna so they had next to no mercury in it...?

arya202
06-17-2006, 09:27 PM
Oh god spam disgusts me.

ottomanart
06-17-2006, 10:00 PM
Oh god spam disgusts me.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Guys, I was eating about 3 cans a day for about a month...I thought that you could only get mercury posioning from the big tuna, and the canned tuna was the small tuna so they had next to no mercury in it...?
That is a lot of tuna... I love tuna.... but just for the sheer change of taste I would have to get something different!

smalls
06-18-2006, 01:58 AM
Are you people ****ing kidding me? 1 can a week? What are you? And bunch of freakin FETUSES.

Go buy the farmed stuff (dolphin safe) and stop worrying about such minute BS as "mercury poisoning", LOL. Go talk to a doctor about how many instances of "mercury poisoning" they have ever heard of in their entire career.

IMO, if you are anything but a baby inside your momma's womb or a pregnant female there are far more important things to worry about.

ottomanart
06-18-2006, 09:07 PM
IMO, if you are anything but a baby inside your momma's womb or a pregnant female there are far more important things to worry about.
LOL HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA well said!

Guys, I was eating about 3 cans a day for about a month... gains... saw your cut is almost over!!! Have fun at Taco Bell!!!!!! :bow: EAT A MONSTER MEAL FOR ME!!!:hump:

Monkey
06-20-2006, 01:04 AM
I eat up to 4 cans of tuna a day and know a few people who do. Never heard of any serious problems form it.

Coqui
06-20-2006, 07:55 AM
If you're that paranoid, mercury is visible. Just pick off the black flecks in your tuna. As said earlier, it depends on where your tuna comes from.

gains2385
06-23-2006, 07:31 PM
http://www.ewg.org/issues/mercury/20031209/calculator.php?gclid=CN7Ft9DovoUCFSYoPwodTEHwrw

my friend showed this to me.

MagnaSephiroth
06-24-2006, 01:03 AM
Will mercury eventually go through your body? Or does it stay in there forever.