PDA

View Full Version : Calorie consumption issues -

arjun
06-12-2006, 01:18 AM
I have been training off and on with weights, cardio and martial arts for years now and, while it has not been consistent over those years, I haven't ever made any gains in muscle or other noticeable change in body composition. Even when I was lifting three or four times a week for months straight. So recently, as close proximity to a free gym at my school has allowed, I have started training hard and I decided to measure my calorie consumption (by hand for a while and recently with fitday).

In doing this over the last few weeks I have noticed that I consume very few calories regularly. Usually it is about 1500 per day and only reaches around 2000 when I eat what is, for me, a lot of food. There are several factors that surround this issue, and I have listed them below:

I am naturally thin, weighing 145 pounds at 5'8"

I am a vegetarian, and I also eat very little dairy or eggs (though I do eat things with these products in them).

I do, however, eat very healthy foods. A lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, many legumes (especially soya products) and nuts to maintain the recommended level of protein intake, no fast food or soda and lots of water.

My diet is usually composed of 65% carbs, 24% fat and 11% protein.

Lastly, I usually eat small meals every two or three hours (5-7 times a day).

I have recently tried to up my calorie intake. I have found that eating even 2200 or so calories a day is extremely hard, even though I am now almost stuffing myself every 2 hours or so. I would purchase supplements, and I eventually intend to, but right now I am broke and don't even have money to pay for next semester's tuition deposit. In the meantime I have tried to up my bean, soy and peanut-butter intake as much as possible.

I am assuming that my basal calorie needs are extremely low, since I have been maintaining this diet for a long time and still have retained a good amount of body fat on my midsection.

Any help or accounts of similar problems would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Spartan936
06-12-2006, 02:46 AM
I'm 5'5 and 135 lbs. I have been eating 4000 calories just to gain. If I understand your post right, then you're trying to gain weight like I am. These things have helped me...

1. Drink lots of whole milk. It is perfectly healthy for someone who exercises. If it bothers your stomach (since you don't drink it much) eat some yogurt with it.

2. Add olive oil to everything. Yep. Almost everything.

3. Come up with an inexpensive meal-replacement shake, and drink it regularly. (milk, whey, oats, bananas, blueberries, etc..)

4. Find a system that works, stick with it, and don't obsess over it. This was my problem for a long time.

More people will chime in with better advice.

TheGimp
06-12-2006, 03:34 AM
It's a simple case of needing to eat more. If you're not gaining weight then you're not eating enough. If you're eating every 2 hours and still only getting in 2200 calories then your meals must be tiny.

I'd recommend focusing on increasing your intake of nuts, soy products and oils as these foods are calorie dense. Try drizzling some olive oil over those veggies and snack on those nuts (and seeds) as often as you can.

You could do with more protein in your diet - aim for 1g / lb of bodyweight, i.e. 145g.

Turnip
06-12-2006, 03:53 AM
Olive oil drinking games are fun!, albeit a little disgusting. And since built or getfit arent here, whats your split like?

arjun
06-12-2006, 06:48 PM
I just posted my routine here: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?p=1405204#post1405204

RedSpikeyThing
06-12-2006, 08:34 PM
I agree with the above posts. You simply need to eat more. Eat 2200 daily until it is easy....think of it as another exercise. In a couple of weeks (probably sooner) you'll catch yourself feeling hungry after eating that much.

Also, you need to up your protein intake. Nuts, soy, milk, eggs, etc.

RedSpikeyThing
06-12-2006, 08:34 PM
Double post!

McIrish
06-13-2006, 01:33 PM
Try throwing down a 500 calorie shake the minute before you to go bed... I always found that was an easy way to "trick" another meal into my day. Milk, peanut butter, bananas, protein powder (if you have some), voila.

Eszekial
06-13-2006, 02:05 PM
a couple of tablespoons of peanutbutter and a protein shake can easily turn out to be 500 calories.

Eat smarter if you can't eat harder.

Did you ever play football? They encourage gluttonay to the extreme.. Just keep eating more and more and eventually your threshold will increase.