PDA

View Full Version : is it true?

GmbH
06-12-2006, 07:14 PM
that a tendon break/ tear is more painful than breakin a bone.

and for anyone who has suffered a shouldre tendon tear how long did it take for your recovery? by that i mean how much time till you were training?

Prodigy06
06-12-2006, 08:01 PM
I saw some kid today who tore a tendon.. he was crying in pain. He kept yelling he broke his leg. He was a pretty big guy too, so I'd assume it hurts just as much.
I also knew a girl once who had a tendon thing in her leg.. torn i think, she was out for months. Gotta be careful afterwards too, pain can come back. Anwya, Shoulders are weird... very easy to hurt, hard to recover.

kate
06-12-2006, 10:08 PM
my sister in law was in a car accident and snapped the tendon in the big toe. she is a runner so is very fit and eager to get back to training, but it took alot longer to recover than a break (unfortunatly)like 2 months. now 12 months later she is completly fine, lol but has just severly sprained her ankle, poor thing

Progress
06-13-2006, 07:20 AM
When I broke my ankle I tore three ligaments and the bone break pain was muted almost entirely by the tear. I could only imagine tendons being worse.

ectx
06-13-2006, 08:13 AM
I tore a ligament in my knee and the pain felt like my knee was resting on a thousand razorblades. It took me about 7 months to walk without a limp and about a year to get back to my regular activities.

charles_316
06-13-2006, 08:52 AM
i tore a ligament by my ankle and it took forever to heal... im pretty sure a fracture woulda taken half the time to recover

Progress
06-13-2006, 09:41 AM
i tore a ligament by my ankle and it took forever to heal... im pretty sure a fracture woulda taken half the time to recover

Yes. When I broke my ankle and tore the ligaments the doc said the bone healed within a few weeks but the ligaments took several months.

GmbH
06-13-2006, 12:32 PM
**** im in for some pain im in 6 week of phystherapy and only have 170degree ROM (frontally). damn... =/

razorcut
06-13-2006, 01:15 PM
In my world of injuries, this is how they would rate. From most pain to least:

Disc herniation > ACL tear > wrist fracture > dog bite > slammed finger in car door > bee sting

Powdered_Power
06-14-2006, 11:03 AM
I only know tearing the ligaments in your knee is the worst possible injury you can have.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-14-2006, 02:23 PM
So breaking your spine and becoming paralyzed wouldn't be as bad as torn knee ligaments?

kate
06-14-2006, 05:41 PM
arnt tendons and ligaments two entirely different things??? one holds bone to bone and the other holds the muscle to the bone...but i cant remember which is which!

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Tendons connect muscles to bones.

razorcut
06-14-2006, 06:02 PM
So breaking your spine and becoming paralyzed wouldn't be as bad as torn knee ligaments?Let's use some common sense here. I'm sure he was referring to severity of pain. Knee ligament tears tend to be very painful. Most spinal cord injuries have very little degree of pain --- because you can no longer feel! However, I think any reasonable person....when given the option....would prefer the ligament tear.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-14-2006, 06:40 PM
Knee ligament tears tend to be very painful.Knee injuries are horrendous. I've been there.

GmbH
06-14-2006, 07:32 PM
shoulder tendon injurie are horridly horrendous, im still there

Hazerboy
06-19-2006, 07:59 PM
I've broken my left wrist twice in different places, fractured my left leg, dislocated my knee, and gotten a concussion.

How painful on or the other is depends on the severity of the break vs. the severity of the tendon/ligament tear. It's difficult to compare the two.

On the other hand, I would say healing from a torn tendon/ligament is much, much worse then healing from a broken bones. They're just so frustrating! Reinjury is extremly common, and healing takes forever. However with bone breaks, a good doctor can set almost any break so that after it heals and you strengthen the bone, you're fine! My left wrist has no problems, left leg is great. However I'll probably have this STUPID TENNIS ELBOW the rest of my life (I don't even play much tennis!), and my knee has never really been the same.

Even worse, there's not really anything you can do for tendon/ligament strains. "Ice it and take ibuprofen." Unless its real bad, thats about all a doctor will tell you. If you break a bone, it goes in a cast, you get drugs, its heals, you go through rehab, and unless its a joint or really, really bad, you're fine! Anyways, thats my two cents.