PDA

View Full Version : 16 Year Old looking for Football advice

tennisjump
06-12-2006, 09:20 PM
Hello everyone,
Just found this forum looks pretty cool, I'm asking for some help.

I just turned 16, I'm about 6'4 220 as of now. I played JV football and started on O and D line, I want to play on varsity next year, but all the lineman are very big, not necesarily all muscle, but a lot of them weight over 275. I have lifted for the past 3 months, but the first two I wasn't serious, and I didn't see any gains.
The past month I've been lifting serious and have seen some great gains.
My question is what specific exercises would you recommend for an aspiring football player?
Right now I'm lifting 5 times a week, each day doing a different group. Splitting them into Chest, Legs, Bis/tris, shoulders/back, start from the beginning again. I have basic knowledge of equipment, while I'm still a complete new person, I had a trainer go over my form and he said that it was fine.

Edit: Of course looking now, I see there is sports forum, if a mod could move it I'd appreciate it.

Any answers would be appreciated.

Jeremy

rbar89
06-12-2006, 09:48 PM
squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press, incline bench, and clean should all be included, as long as you know how to clean. Also do plyometrics for power development http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/plymo.htm I'm also training for the upcoming season, here is my routine:

Day 1: Chest, Back
Bench
Incline Bench
Dips
DB Flys (alternate incline and flat each week)
Decline Bench 1xAll

Deadlifts
Pull Ups (palms facing out) 2xAll
DB Bent Over Rows/Barbell Rows (alternate each week)
Close Grip Pull-downs
Seated Cable Rows

Day 2: Rest

Day 3: Legs
Squat
Hack Squat
Good Mornings
Leg Press 2x10,15
Leg Curls/Leg Extensions (alternate each week)
Calf Raises
Abdominal excercises
Wrist Rollers*

Day 4: rest

Day 5: Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps
Shoulders:
Military Press
DB Shoulder Press/DB Arnold Press (alternating each week)
DB Lateral Raises
DB or BB Shoulder Shrugs
DB Front Raises
Hammer Strength Shoulder Press Machine

Triceps:
DB French Press/Skull Crushers (alternating each week)
Pull-downs

Biceps:
Barbell Curls
DB Hammer Curls

+ Close Grip Bench(triceps)/Underhand Incline(biceps) alternating each week

I do 3x3, 3x5, 3x8 switching each week but i do 4 sets for a lot of things. Hopefully this helped.

rmani
06-12-2006, 10:06 PM
with your height and stats at your age? i would make it my goal to be a menacing linebacker. focus more on college than high school. With your stats you are perfect for knocking QBs down.

I would do a lot of major exercises like bench press, clean press, and squats for overall power.

LouPac
06-12-2006, 11:08 PM
with your height and stats at your age? i would make it my goal to be a menacing linebacker. focus more on college than high school. With your stats you are perfect for knocking QBs down.

I would do a lot of major exercises like bench press, clean press, and squats for overall power.
Seriously! LB or DE. Instead of working out 5 days a week, cut it down to 4. Look at the Baby Got Back workout, it's very effective. Also, make sure you eat alot, eat everything in sight. You might want to try running sprints twice a week as well to build up your speed for the game.

tennisjump
06-13-2006, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the advice!
I do play DE, but on offense, I'm not really fast enough to be a TE, I played right OG, so I pulled and got to hit LBs :thumbup:

I have a couple of questions about the stuff you posted.
Why is better to only lift 4 days a week? One of my friends who has been lifting for a long time lifts 6 times a week. If you're working different muscle groups shouldn't it give you enough time to rest?

Also I'm not familiar with a couple of the exercises that rbar posted.
When you say 1xall, do you mean keep going until failure?

I also don't know what Good Mornings, skull crushers, wrist rollers, front raise and arnold press is.

Again thanks for your help

Jeremy

Focused70
06-13-2006, 08:35 AM
squat, deadlift, bench press, shoulder press, incline bench, and clean should all be included, as long as you know how to clean. Also do plyometrics for power development http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/plymo.htm I'm also training for the upcoming season, here is my routine:

Day 1: Chest, Back
Bench
Incline Bench
Dips
DB Flys (alternate incline and flat each week)
Decline Bench 1xAll

Deadlifts
Pull Ups (palms facing out) 2xAll
DB Bent Over Rows/Barbell Rows (alternate each week)
Close Grip Pull-downs
Seated Cable Rows

Day 2: Rest

Day 3: Legs
Squat
Hack Squat
Good Mornings
Leg Press 2x10,15
Leg Curls/Leg Extensions (alternate each week)
Calf Raises
Abdominal excercises
Wrist Rollers*

Day 4: rest

Day 5: Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps
Shoulders:
Military Press
DB Shoulder Press/DB Arnold Press (alternating each week)
DB Lateral Raises
DB or BB Shoulder Shrugs
DB Front Raises
Hammer Strength Shoulder Press Machine

Triceps:
DB French Press/Skull Crushers (alternating each week)
Pull-downs

Biceps:
Barbell Curls
DB Hammer Curls

+ Close Grip Bench(triceps)/Underhand Incline(biceps) alternating each week

I do 3x3, 3x5, 3x8 switching each week but i do 4 sets for a lot of things. Hopefully this helped.

way too much volume in this routine...and redundancies.

Jordanbcool
06-13-2006, 08:37 AM
way too much volume in this routine...and redundancies.

I agree. You shouldnt be doing that many excersizes but for the most part its ok. Just cut out some and you'll be fine.

-jordan

Anthony
06-13-2006, 08:59 AM
The routine listed above has some good exercises, but the accessory work is overkill, and it's designed for a bodybuilder. Body part splits are complete crap for athletes.

Are you doing any football practise right now? If so, 5 heavy days may be too much to handle in the long run. If not, you should still spread your volume over a variety of training ideas.

For strength and size, stick to the basics: squats, deadlifts, presses, cleans, rows, dips, chinups, lunges, etc. The more you do standing on your feet, the better. Think about how you play football - do you sit down or lay down during play? Hopefully not. Rotate through these lifts 3-4 days a week using various rep/set schemes, but try to avoid failure for the most part. Eat a lot of good food. Get lots of sleep.

For conditioning and speed, look into HIIT. You'll get the same "cardio" benefits from long runs (vo2max, etc), but it will also help maintain/build muscle and improve your body's ability to use lactate as a fuel. There are also mental benefits, but those are more individual.

Bottom line, keep things simple. 3 days lifting, 1-2 days sprinting, and you'll be good to go.

Jordanbcool
06-13-2006, 12:23 PM
The routine listed above has some good exercises, but the accessory work is overkill, and it's designed for a bodybuilder. Body part splits are complete crap for athletes.

Are you doing any football practise right now? If so, 5 heavy days may be too much to handle in the long run. If not, you should still spread your volume over a variety of training ideas.

For strength and size, stick to the basics: squats, deadlifts, presses, cleans, rows, dips, chinups, lunges, etc. The more you do standing on your feet, the better. Think about how you play football - do you sit down or lay down during play? Hopefully not. Rotate through these lifts 3-4 days a week using various rep/set schemes, but try to avoid failure for the most part. Eat a lot of good food. Get lots of sleep.

For conditioning and speed, look into HIIT. You'll get the same "cardio" benefits from long runs (vo2max, etc), but it will also help maintain/build muscle and improve your body's ability to use lactate as a fuel. There are also mental benefits, but those are more individual.

Bottom line, keep things simple. 3 days lifting, 1-2 days sprinting, and you'll be good to go.

Good post.

Pretty much follow everything above and you'll be good. If anything cut out the direct arm work. Curls for a football athlete? No way.

-jordan

jordonwuff
06-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Your team doesn't lift together over the summer, or there's no program you can join with the other players?

tennisjump
06-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Well I'm going to University of Michigan to take classes for a month, so I wanted to get a program going at their weight room. What would be the best way to gain weight besides eating a lot? Less Reps and more weight?
Thanks
Jeremy

rbar89
06-14-2006, 02:16 AM
What is wrong with my routine? I don't feel like when I work out its too much volume, maybe cuz i do 3 sets and a lot of you do 5? Also anthony i dont get how body part splits training is any different than full body routines for football, im still doing the same exercises and im doing the compound stuff so i dont get it? I know i have a lot of arm work i was doing less but it was easy especially on my shoulder day so i added some more, but seriously is my routine bad?

Anthony
06-14-2006, 03:46 AM
tennisjump: you guessed it - lift heavy things and eat a lot of food. That's how you gain muscle.

rbar89: 75% of the exercises in your routine are useless for athletes. I'm not saying you couldn't get big and strong with it, but you could definitely make it more efficient. The reason why body part splits are no good is because you're trying to isolate an area of the body instead of training it like a unit. Picture a bicep curl. Now tell me when you ever do that during a game of football. So why would you train like that? When you block or tackle someone, what muscle did you use? Pretty hard to name just one, eh? That's because in real life, your body works as a unit. Everything starts from the center and moves towards the extremeties. Train your body like it's supposed to work and you'll get a much better return on your investment.

LouPac
06-14-2006, 03:59 AM
tennisjump: you guessed it - lift heavy things and eat a lot of food. That's how you gain muscle.

rbar89: 75% of the exercises in your routine are useless for athletes. I'm not saying you couldn't get big and strong with it, but you could definitely make it more efficient. The reason why body part splits are no good is because you're trying to isolate an area of the body instead of training it like a unit. Picture a bicep curl. Now tell me when you ever do that during a game of football. So why would you train like that? When you block or tackle someone, what muscle did you use? Pretty hard to name just one, eh? That's because in real life, your body works as a unit. Everything starts from the center and moves towards the extremeties. Train your body like it's supposed to work and you'll get a much better return on your investment.
Listen to the man, he speaks the truth.

Isaac Wilkins
06-14-2006, 05:04 AM
Actually some degree of bicep training is important for most athletes, definitely football.

Remember that the biceps are the antagonist of the triceps. Some bicep work should be done to simply keep the elbows healthy as the triceps tend to be overemphasized in football-based lifting programs. Granted when one is training back movements there is some bicep work involved but not always enough.

Football is also a grappling sport depending on the position. Some bicep work helps with that in addition to grip work.

Most of my athletes do some sort of bicep work, although it is minimal. 2-3 sets per week, usually. I also stick with movements that are more functional such as Hammer Curls (elbow balance) or Zottman Curls (grip strength).

Don't stress about bicep work but a little bit here and there is a good thing. The other option is to include a fairly bicep-intensive back movement such as Yates' Rows, although I don't think they're very useful for a football player in general or Curl-grip Pulldowns/ups which I like.

Anthony
06-14-2006, 05:28 AM
I agree biceps need to be worked to create a balance. I disagree that curls are necessary to work the biceps. Chinups for the win!

Isaac Wilkins
06-14-2006, 07:11 AM
Sure, as long as they fit the rest of what's going on.

rbar89
06-14-2006, 12:56 PM
I've come up with a workout following more of what you guys said, and also i'll start this one once we start full practices because it doesnt have as much volume and its just the important stuff mainly, so how is it?

Workout 1:
Bench
Incline Bench
Dips
Deadlifts
pullups/chinups 1 set of each
DB Bent Over Rows/Barbell Rows (alternating each workout)
DB Lat Raise
Wrist Rollers (at home)

Workout 2:
Squat
Good Mornings
Leg Press 2x10,15
Seated Calf Raises (I know standing would be better but my gym just has seated)
Military Press
Shoulder shrugs DB or BB
Close Grip Bench/rotate with French press, skull crushers, or tricep pulldowns,which?
Abs stuff

and maybe one of the thousand hammer strength machines my gym has

I'll do workout 1 then rest a day then workout 2 then rest a day then start over with workout 1, or with the busy and tiring season i might have a few days in between each workout who knows, but im liking this. Any changes or suggestions definetly welcome, after looking throught it again i just thought now that it might be harder than what im doing but o well its probably better for football, right?

loftin12393
06-30-2006, 10:59 AM
Keep working out and work your speed & agility. If you can't get bigger than them get quicker then just work on technique during practice