PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition questions

BigCorey75
06-12-2006, 11:45 PM
As important as nutirtion is im ashamed to say its the one i know the least about. I know the difference between protein carbs, fats, simple vs. complex carbs but i just have a few questions for those with some knowledge in this area

well im trying to drop some body fat, and im choosing to go the low carb route., my breakfast usually consist of a 50 gram protein shake, and some other food source of protein, be it left overs or a few sticks of "real" beef jerky, non of that slim jim stuff

another question isabout fried foods. i know they arent the best for me but from what ive read if you going the low carb route its essential to get some fat in your diet. the two most fried foods i eat are obviously fried chicken ;) and fried fish. when i eat the chicken i try to be sure to take the skin off and not eat it and i drink tons of water nearly 2 gallons a day.

i have an outside job (and in the texas heat im sweating balls) where i can walk anywhere from 5-6 miles a day on average, im also wondering would it be neccessary to add more cardio at the gym?

also because of time i need so advice about fast foods because its what i eat alot while out on the job and i dont have time to prepare a meal before hand the night before. what would be some good choices while im out, any suggestions would be appreciated..

thanx in advance

arjun
06-13-2006, 11:33 PM
You burn almost the same amount of calories when you walk a mile than when you run a mile, only you are not working out your cardiovascular system as much (or hardly at all) when you walk. If your goals are to create a calorie defect then either one will suffice.

Fast food is not a healthy option, especially if you are trying to drop some fat. Most food served at your generic fast food joint is grease-laden and nutritionally defunct. However, most of these places do offer healthier alternatives.

At most places you can usually get a salad or yogurt or some other product geared to health-conscious consumers. Also most of the items served at sub-sandwich places are relatively healthy, as long as you don't go skimpy on the vegetables. Low carbohydrate diets are an ongoing fad, so you have no excuse not to find options available at EVERY fast food and regular restaurant.

Because of the many billions of dollars Americans are spending on the diet and health industry, virtually every business that sells food offers some healthy option, and most of them offer low-carb alternatives as well. You don't need suggestions here, since I am sure advertisements for these options are flaunted in your face every time you enter a fast food joint and every time you turn on your television.

arjun
06-13-2006, 11:35 PM
Oh dude, you should eat the wraps at Subway also. They are low carb and in my opinion many times better than their subs. The wraps they use are soft and tasty, I get the vegetarian wrap with ranch dressing and it is like a salad in a warm tortilla. Yum.

bigedge
06-14-2006, 04:10 AM
i had a wrap at my local subway the other day for the first time and it was WAY better than having it in bread. The only problem is the wrap was kindof doey, next time i might take it home and stick it in the sandwich press

Holto
06-14-2006, 08:32 AM
2 Reasons why you shouldn't go Low Carb.

1) Your a big Mo-Fo and lift crazy weight
2) Your job

I've known you since you were 16 bro. Trust me there is nothing magical about carbs. If you cut cals you will lose weight just fine.

Start tracking with:

www.fitday.com

and you will be fine.

Anthony
06-14-2006, 08:38 AM
Holto is right. A lot of people jump to the more complicated methods of dieting before trying the basics. Get your fat and protein in line with your weight and slowly reduce overall calories. Chances are you'll get as lean as you want without going low-carb.

RedSpikeyThing
06-14-2006, 02:09 PM
Eat fewer calories while consuming at least your minimums of fat and protein. Fill your remaining calories with whatever you like. Lift hard and heavy. Do HIIT if you want to do cardio. Cardio isn't necessary, but you can eat a little more when you've been doing it.

Keep it simple and good luck!

BigCorey75
06-16-2006, 10:35 PM
2 Reasons why you shouldn't go Low Carb.

1) Your a big Mo-Fo and lift crazy weight
2) Your job

I've known you since you were 16 bro. Trust me there is nothing magical about carbs. If you cut cals you will lose weight just fine.

Start tracking with:

www.fitday.com

and you will be fine.

damn dude you went way way back yeah you have "known" me for a while...lol

ima have to start making smarter choices at lunch and afterwards and in my other meals but ima definetly keep my protein high, and my carbs in the morning to get me going and after lunch to keep me going but cutting back at night

BigCorey75
06-16-2006, 10:41 PM
yeah ima just have to find a way to enact overall discipline in my diet and such and get control of my self, ive gotten alot better about the drinking, im back to 1-2 nights per week, because im so busy with work and working out, its all i do and have a few drinks on the weekend. I guess ill just have to make cut backs here at there and wait until ithe fat begins to shed off

it so weid tho i love how thick mu chest is, but i have these small pockets of fat which kinda gives it a boobish look and i know all i have to do is lean down and i carry all of my fat in the gut area, my actuall waist is small enough to where if i had i got my waist the way i want it id have a nice V-taper. and a good X-frame because my thighs are huge, i guess ill just have to begin to plug away at it and get disciplined

Built
06-16-2006, 10:46 PM
BigCorey - cutting link in my sig. Read it - you might find it helpful.