PDA

View Full Version : Vegetable oil??

BigCorey75
06-13-2006, 09:29 AM
this has been on my mind for a while now

i alwasy hear this good stuff about olive oil, and i use it in my diet, ill sprinkle some extra virgin oil over some spinach along with some vinegar or vinegarette dressing and its pretty tasty

obviously olives are healthy and olive oil is made from olives (duh) but if vegetable oil is made from vegetables (or so im assuming) what makes it so bad for you. i know most things that are fried or deep fried are fried in vegetble oil it seems to me that they would be one in the same since vegetables are healthy as well as olives

i know this questions sounds extremly GED but it has been puzzleing me for a while sometime now

Anthony
06-13-2006, 09:33 AM
I think most vegetable oils are hydrogenated.

Progress
06-13-2006, 09:39 AM
I think most vegetable oils are hydrogenated.

Soybean oil is hydrogenated?

Anthony
06-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Soybean oil is hydrogenated?

It can be.

Progress
06-13-2006, 11:29 AM
It can be.

The vegetable oil I see at the store has one ingredient; "soybean oil." Additionally, the nutrition facts mention no trans fats. I'm guessing this vegetable oil is not hydrogenated.

TheGimp
06-13-2006, 11:40 AM
I find that often it will be specified in the ingredients list whether the oil is hydrogenated (or partially hydrogenated). e.g. "partially hydorgenated soybean oil". Are manufactuers allowed to call hydrogenated soybean oil simply "soybean oil"?

Holto
06-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Look at some cold pressed olive oil and compare to commercial vegetable oil.

The olive oil is from plant to jar in like 6 steps.

The vegetable oil way overprocessed. It's exposed to far too much light, air and heat. Not to mention any other *steps*. Whenever mankind does anything with food it makes it worse.

Progress
06-13-2006, 01:51 PM
Whenever mankind does anything with food it makes it worse.

QFT

BigCorey75
06-13-2006, 05:58 PM
ahhh, hmm

Progress
06-13-2006, 06:11 PM
ahhh, hmm

I don't know what to tell you. How do you want to use the oil?

betastas
06-13-2006, 09:18 PM
Vegetable oils are processed heavily. They also tend to have higher yields of trans saturated fats in them than say olive oil. Cheap manufacturing processes and cutting of corners to save money lead directly to poor quality oils. I have read a few articles pointing out that most vegetable oils have a trans fat content of ~2%. This is your standard, off the shelf tub of soybean, canola or misc. vegetable oil. The content varies with the individual oils, but all of them sholud be ideally specced in the range of 2%. However, cheap cost processing and cutting corners leads to the content approaching 4-5%, which is higher than the range allowed in a pure oil without the appropriate labeling. Why is nothing done? Because it isn't consistent, and varies due to facility, brand, crop and production. There are also arguments about the amount of money that the food oil industry lines the pockets of the government and FDA with.

Your typical jug of vegetable oil will have a small amount of manufactered (bad) trans saturated fats. Basically, these trans fats are due to the heating and processing of the oils and plant material. They are much less heat stable than saturated fats and ofter have an "illegally" high amount of trans saturated fats.

I don't have the links for these studies as I read them while browsing a half year back or so, but the gist is that vegetable oils really aren't that good for you at all. Get your oils via plant sources, nuts, legumes, and meat or dairy. Considering all the other places you can get non-tainted fats from, I steer clear of vegetable oil.

Here's something to do for fun. Go to the store and try to find products that don't use vegetable oil. It's hard as hell to do. Keep an eye out for how many times you see hydrogenated oils.

BigCorey75
06-13-2006, 11:02 PM
ok thats what i was lookng for

SkinnySadMan
06-13-2006, 11:56 PM
Vegetable Oil makes good lubcricant. :)