PDA

View Full Version : fish oil or olive oil

dtshen
06-13-2006, 02:59 PM
whats better? not taking into consideration cost.

getfit
06-13-2006, 03:00 PM
both are excellent.

WORLD
06-13-2006, 03:22 PM
both are excellent.
:withstupi

TheGimp
06-13-2006, 03:28 PM
They serve different purposes. Fish oil mainly serves to increase your omega-3 intake while olive oil and its largely mono-unsaturated fat content won't affect your omega-3:omega-6 ratio.

Progress
06-13-2006, 05:42 PM
I take fish oils for EFA requirments. Their cals are nearly negligible to my diet. I take olive oil to fit into my fat cal macros.

offhegoes03
06-18-2006, 01:31 PM
how necessary are fish oil capsules when on a bulk? I usually have eggs every day (2 whole eggs and 2 whites scrambled), and eggs are a good source of fatty acids, correct? Are fish oils more recommended for cuts since they don't add many extra calories?

getfit
06-18-2006, 01:34 PM
fish oil is healthy source of fat so bulking, cutting or maintaining it should be part of your daily regime.

offhegoes03
06-18-2006, 01:39 PM
thanks, I just looked them up and they're not too expensive, so when I need to order more whey in the near future, maybe I'll pick up a couple bottles.

Progress
06-18-2006, 03:01 PM
thanks, I just looked them up and they're not too expensive, so when I need to order more whey in the near future, maybe I'll pick up a couple bottles.

You can get them pretty cheap at the grocery store or pharmacy as well.

Jasonl
06-18-2006, 05:29 PM
I get mine at Costco or Sam's Club.

Jordanbcool
06-18-2006, 05:41 PM
I get mine at Costco or Sam's Club.

Yea both of these places are great too buy them cheap and in bulk. Thats where I get mine.

BalancedMan
06-19-2006, 03:48 AM
Actually, a nutritionist from GNC came to talk to my fraternity recently and advocated Flaxseed Oil over fish oil for the following reason, which makes sense to me:

The term Fish Oil is pretty ambiguous and there aren't any controls over what type of fish it came from, or the quality of it, etc. In contast, Flaxseed oil is more consistent.

In honestly, I'm a novice at all this stuff and don't know the health advantages between the two, but I would choose Flaxseed over Fish based on what I know.

Hope this helps.

TheGimp
06-19-2006, 04:30 AM
Actually, a nutritionist from GNC came to talk to my fraternity recently and advocated Flaxseed Oil over fish oil for the following reason, which makes sense to me:

The term Fish Oil is pretty ambiguous and there aren't any controls over what type of fish it came from, or the quality of it, etc. In contast, Flaxseed oil is more consistent.

In honestly, I'm a novice at all this stuff and don't know the health advantages between the two, but I would choose Flaxseed over Fish based on what I know.

Hope this helps.

How did he address the abysmal rate of conversion between ALA and EPA/DHA ?

Coqui
06-19-2006, 06:44 AM

Hope this helps.

Did he also mention that flaxseed oil has been targeted as a possible trigger for prostate cancer? That's why I was told to use Fish oil instead.

atreyuballa87
06-19-2006, 09:02 AM
i just ordered a bottle of these, partially to get good oils for lifting and partially for my ibs. https://www.immunesupport.com/shop/product.cfm/product__code/P264

Mercuryblade
06-19-2006, 08:13 PM
a nutritionist from GNC came to talk to my fraternity recently

There are so many things wrong with that sentence :D

cts122
06-19-2006, 08:19 PM
There are so many things wrong with that sentence :D

lol

Jordanbcool
06-19-2006, 08:27 PM
I took flaxseed oil for a while and I had no problems with it. It should be taken instead if you dont like fish oil (nasty burps).

What it really boils down too is personal preferance.

cts122
06-19-2006, 08:33 PM
whats better? not taking into consideration cost.

To add to this, I never really use fish oil or flax for EFA's/omegas most of my fats come from xtra v olive oil. If i wanted to supplement with a beneficial amount of EFA's, generally how many grams of fish oil or flax oil fat should i implement a day, around 10?

Coqui
06-19-2006, 09:39 PM
I took flaxseed oil for a while and I had no problems with it. It should be taken instead if you dont like fish oil (nasty burps).

They sell deodorized Fish oil now.

Mercuryblade
06-20-2006, 07:44 PM
like fish oil (nasty burps).

It just tastes like you ate a can of tuna, which I guess for some can be a bit unsettling in the morning.

Diomedes
06-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Did he also mention that flaxseed oil has been targeted as a possible trigger for prostate cancer?

Seriously? Where did you hear this?

seK
06-20-2006, 09:22 PM
It's in conclusive you can do a search on the subject. Basically many believe it is beneficial for cancer patients since it slows the division of cancer cell's. Others believe it increases the antigen (PSA) in the in the blood which is an indication of prostate cancer. I wouldn't put too much credit into either theory since there really has not been a major study yet.

Coqui
06-21-2006, 06:37 AM

Like I said, it's possible, not definitive. But I've read this online, and a health consultant (part of the Wellness Program that allows my health insurance to be free) mentioned it to me and sent me an article on it.

Optimum08
06-21-2006, 11:03 AM

although fish oil burps are kind of accepted, in actuality you should not be having fish oil burps, if you are, then you might want to check the freshness of your fish oil caplets/brand or where you get them.

Optimum08
06-21-2006, 11:05 AM
How did he address the abysmal rate of conversion between ALA and EPA/DHA?

:withstupi (for flaxseed oil)