PDA

View Full Version : How to develop a strong arch

Jinkies
06-13-2006, 05:17 PM
I have no arch when it comes to benching and ive been trying for the longest time to get a good one, the only way for me to make one requires my ass comming off the bench which disqualifies me (competition standards).

Im thinking its difficult to have a good arch when you bench alone, have a strong arch in the middle of the bench makes its nearly impossible to lift the weight off the rack i work with

BaggedE30
06-13-2006, 05:20 PM
some people find it easy arching there back like me, others dont. I guess its like a double jointed thing. or maybe im talking crap i dont know

KevinStarke
06-13-2006, 05:26 PM
I know some fat ****s that can arch like crazy, just... arch its not that difficult no one really taught me.

BaggedE30
06-13-2006, 05:28 PM
I know some fat ****s that can arch like crazy, just... arch its not that difficult no one really taught me.

im one of them:) whats the point in arching though unless your in competition?

bigbadwolfe
06-13-2006, 05:41 PM
I must be the other one!!!! Hahaha!!!!

Jinkies, arching is just technique work. I could not arch for **** before, I just started working it all the time. Alot of people will get a foam tube or even a piece of PVC tubing about 6 to 8 inch diameter and start rolling on that on the bench. I myself I just started grabbing the bar setting my ass where I needed it and then just pushed my belly up and arched back like I was stretching. It took me a long while but I finally got mine pretty high for a 400 pound guy. You can see a pic of mine in another thread on here called "Here's my Arch"

Wolfy!!!!!

Jinkies
06-13-2006, 06:04 PM
I saw your arch it was amazing, im changing my form up alot after reading an artical on Greg Mendelson and his bench form. He tucks his legs all the way back so theres no chance of lifting off the bench, i used to have them planted flat and would push on them for leverage in difficult reps

bigbadwolfe
06-13-2006, 07:04 PM
You mean Scot Mendelson? To keep from lifting my ass I spred my legs really wide and the ndrive my hips down and back.In training I lift my ass alot but i have never(knocks on wood) been called for it in a contest. Good luck hope it all works out, I'm here of you need me.

Wolfy!!!!!

Jinkies
06-14-2006, 12:18 AM
I did mean Scot, wow; you might get a pm from me in about 3 weeks if his technique doesnt work

drew
06-14-2006, 07:03 AM
I just get my feet back and hold the bench tight with my legs, pull my body up to the bar and then push my shoulders down toward my feet. Once my shoulders are on the bench, I push down on my heels and get it locked in. I try to get a little higher with every setup.

Guido
06-14-2006, 07:23 AM
I just get my feet back and hold the bench tight with my legs, pull my body up to the bar and then push my shoulders down toward my feet. Once my shoulders are on the bench, I push down on my heels and get it locked in. I try to get a little higher with every setup.That's essentially what I do. Once you have your feet set, you can kind of "walk" your shoulders even closer toward your feet using your scapulae. I have a huge arch now but I didn't always. The more you bench like that the more flexibility you will get and the bigger the arch!

Darracq
06-14-2006, 08:01 AM
I put a football, sometimes a scoccer ball under my back, but i have built up to that. It would be pretty hard to lift off myself, try to get someone to at least help you do that.

Clifford Gillmore
06-15-2006, 12:18 AM
I could add another 40lbs to my bench if arched decently, right now I'm allmost flat. I'm working on it slowly.

dw06wu
06-15-2006, 01:21 AM
I think that while the arch can help add some poundage, it is really overrated.

toki
06-15-2006, 01:25 AM
well...the whole of professional powerlifting might disagree with you.

DNL
06-15-2006, 02:17 AM
I put a football, sometimes a scoccer ball under my back, but i have built up to that. It would be pretty hard to lift off myself, try to get someone to at least help you do that.

Dayum taht's a bigass arch. You have a 5 - 9 inch arch under your back?

JustinASU
06-15-2006, 06:09 AM

Do you powerlift? Or even strength train?

WillKuenzel
06-15-2006, 09:24 AM
LOL, if were talking about powerlifting (and I imagine we are since this isn't the bodybuilding forum), you do realize that you just wrote an oxymoron? How can something that adds poundage be overrated?

Darracq
06-15-2006, 09:29 AM
Dayum taht's a bigass arch. You have a 5 - 9 inch arch under your back?

I loose a lot of that because the ball is not holding me up when i bench. I get my liftoff guy to push my shoulders toward my feet also. I am tall and skinny so i need all the arch i can get.

drew
06-15-2006, 10:11 AM
If it will add 5 pounds it's worth it. I arch to reduce the ROM and to help stay tight. I don't know about anyone else, but I just can't get my back as tight if I don't have an arch.

MixmasterNash
06-15-2006, 10:47 AM
If it will add 5 pounds it's worth it. I arch to reduce the ROM and to help stay tight. I don't know about anyone else, but I just can't get my back as tight if I don't have an arch.
As if were only 5 lbs! "Some" is a hell of an understatement. I can bench at least 10% more with an arch than in a bb style.

drew
06-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Nash, if I thought wearing a skirt would add 5 more lbs to my bench, I would do it.

Clifford Gillmore
06-15-2006, 04:21 PM
Wearing a skirt DOES increase your bench by 5lbs!

The Percepta
06-15-2006, 05:29 PM
For raw benching my arch is pretty good, but I must say that I do not arch as much as I could when I bench anymore. I arch enough to where I feel I can generate the most force and where I feel most steady on the bench. This is also great because when I bench shirted, my arch is similiar to my raw benching now since I cannot arch as much shirted as I can raw...did that make sense?

as to help with arching, using the pvc pipe, foam roller can help. stretching the hip flexors and groin area is key.

Jinkies
06-15-2006, 05:48 PM
My main problem is for me to have a good arc my hips come way off the bench, i pretty much turn bench into a full body motion using everything to move it off me. When i dont do this my bench is still real good but its tough to do as much weight for as many reps

drew
06-15-2006, 07:30 PM
Jinkies, push your feet forward hard when you press to help anchor your hips to the bench.

Sensei
06-16-2006, 05:06 PM
I went to a powerlifting gym in Japan and worked with a guy who got a silver at the IPF Worlds BP Championships a while back. It was a great experience and I learned a lot.

One of the things he told me that instantly helped my arch and upper back tightness was to concentrate on pushing my shoulders downward towards the hips. They also used PVC to loosen the back as well:

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/johnnymnemonic/68048ffd.jpg

Jinkies
06-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Thanks for the input everyone im learning alot from this forum, startin to see a good arch does come overnight either so each day ill try to get it a little better and shoot for a few inches better in 5 months