PDA

View Full Version : Measuring Dextrose

AlexAllen
06-14-2006, 03:54 PM
I just got a four lb bag of dextrose from a brewery supply store. It is just labeled "corn sugar".
Does anyone know rough equivalents for measuring grams with a teaspoon or tablespoon of this stuff? I'd rather not get a scale for this if I don't have to. I read an article that says I probably need about 80 g for my weight after a workout.
Thanks for the help.

Slim Schaedle
06-14-2006, 04:10 PM
1/3 cup (the typical protein scooper) is roughly 40 grams

As a side note, anyone serious enough about bodybuilding/weightlifting to buy dextrose, should be serious enough to purchase and use a food scale.

TheGimp
06-14-2006, 04:14 PM
IMNSHO a kitchen scale is the most important purchase a body builder can make.

Progress
06-14-2006, 04:27 PM
1/3 cup (the typical protein scooper) is roughly 40 grams

As a side note, anyone serious enough about bodybuilding/weightlifting to buy dextrose, should be serious enough to purchase and use a food scale.

Interesting. My dextrose is 1/3 cup and 80 grams. Also, I thought a typical protein scooper is 1/4 cup.

AlexAllen
06-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Probably right about the scale. Right or wrong, I feel like weighing out every piece of meat I eat may be enough to burn me out or drive me crazy. I've been eating a lot with a rough calorie count, making strength gains, and putting on some but not a lot of fat the last few months. I am also probably not at the higher level that some of you are that need a more strict count to progress. Point taken though.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-14-2006, 05:07 PM
IMNSHO a kitchen scale is the most important purchase a body builder can make.I use mine religiously. It's a self-calibrating, digital scale. :thumbup:

SpecialK
06-14-2006, 05:08 PM
You can buy a cheap digital scale on ebay for about $20.

smalls
06-14-2006, 05:31 PM
I've never used a kitchen scale, but i'm sure they can be usefull. Almost everything I eat can be measured with a protein scooper. And I agree with slim cept I thought the typical protein shaker was 1/4 of a cup making about 25+ g of dextrose. I could be off though.

Slim Schaedle
06-14-2006, 05:50 PM
I just double checked this and my meaurement was the same....1/3 cup.

Weight on a food scale, the dex came to 44g.

I know there is a +/- gram difference in the actual amount of dextrose compared to measured weight, but not a 40gram difference.

I did notice that supplement direct lists their dex as being 1/3 cup = 80grams (79g dextrose). Unless I am missing something or I am being a complete idiot, I am not sure how that can be.

Progress
06-14-2006, 07:18 PM
I just double checked this and my meaurement was the same....1/3 cup.

Weight on a food scale, the dex came to 44g.

I know there is a +/- gram difference in the actual amount of dextrose compared to measured weight, but not a 40gram difference.

I did notice that supplement direct lists their dex as being 1/3 cup = 80grams (79g dextrose). Unless I am missing something or I am being a complete idiot, I am not sure how that can be.

That's why I was confused. I have an 11 lb bag of supplement direct dextrose and it reads 80 grams.

smalls
06-14-2006, 08:24 PM
I am almost posative they are wrong. And have been for about 4 years.

sonofman
06-14-2006, 08:40 PM
I weigh everything. I feel like a fish out of water if I don't. People think I'm to anal with the way I eat but whatever.

djreef
06-15-2006, 02:31 PM
Unless I am missing something or I am being a complete idiot, I am not sure how that can be.

New Math?

DJ