PDA

View Full Version : Eating Without Teeth

kate
06-14-2006, 06:53 PM
okay so not really no teeth but i have to have all 4 wisdom teeth removed next monday (i'm on holidays-what a way to spend em!!) but my problem is, the dentist says i will not be able to eat solids for a weeks. he's like 'you'll just have to eat jelly and ice-cream' and i was like 'hahahaha...NO!!' so shakes wont be aproblem but can i live on shakes for a week?? it means absolutly no steak! lol he also says i wont be abe to exercise for that week but i think i will be ok for that after a day or so...
how will i get enough 'good' cals in as well as my protein etc?? any ideas?
also if you have had em removed how long was your recovery?? did it hurt? (I'm scared!)

KingWilder
06-14-2006, 07:04 PM
just take in shakes...I was back to eating solid food 2 days after getting my wisdom teeth out...so feel it out

people react diff. to getting their wisdom teeth out. I had no swelling or bruising at all...lots of bleeding tho and I did end up throwing up once after having some pudding...I was still basically out of it at that point tho

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-14-2006, 07:28 PM
You can try chewing very carefully with your front teeth. It's hard, but that's what I did when I had all 4 of mine taken out the same day. I didn't even WANT to eat solid food after the procedure because it HURTS.

getfit
06-14-2006, 07:36 PM
you can use your blender and blend your food

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-14-2006, 07:38 PM
Eww. I don't even want to imagine like...a steak shake.

getfit
06-14-2006, 07:39 PM
cold soups are awesome

Jordanbcool
06-14-2006, 07:49 PM
When I had mine taken out I didnt eat anything (literally nothing) the first day. Then pretty much just applesauce the next. Gradually I ate more and more but for the first week I was surviving on jello and milk...stuff like that. I wouldnt touch any solid foods for 2 weeks just as recommended. Food can easily get caught back there and rot (its not like you can flick your tounge back there either). Liquids cant get caught as easily (if at all) and if they do they simply fall out or dissolve. Plus the whole pain factor etc. etc. And if everything tastes like bood why eat?

As for the working out...take a break for the first week and start up like normal the next. You've just undergone minor surgery. Take it easy.

-jordan

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Or...hot soups... :thumbup:

Yeah I had soup, yogurt, ice cream, shakes, etc... when I had mine taken out. You just have to work with what you got, or just make a special trip down to the grocery store until your mouth is back to normal again.

Then pretty much just applesauce the next.Oh yeah! I ate a lot of that too. :) Good stuff.

Jordanbcool
06-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Or...hot soups... :thumbup:

Actually hot soups were pretty good after the first 2 days. Not scalding hot but warm soup feels SO good against your sore....uh wisdom teeth holes.....:p

getfit
06-14-2006, 07:55 PM
yep,i had mine taken out 2 yrs ago and i was a ton of protein pudding and cold soups and so on...

kate
06-14-2006, 08:41 PM
yep,i had mine taken out 2 yrs ago and i was a ton of protein pudding and cold soups and so on...

i knew i'd get some good ideas, thanks heaps. mayb i will throw just a little bit of icecream in there!! but protein pudding....good idea!! mmmmm

pakse
06-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Cold Soup and Hot Soup are great - but there are a huge amount of foods that don't require significant chewing.

1. Chili made with ground beef and diced tomatoes (very limited chewing, although some).

2. Vegetables, pan fried (spinach, garlic, olive oil, red pepper flakes) (potatoes, etc...).

3. Orzo and rice dishes....

When my wisdom teeth were pulled it was bad, it hurt and I could not chew for 2 days afterwords - however by the third morning I was totally fine.

Keep the faith,

Pakse

arya202
06-15-2006, 03:58 PM

Hahah yeah I remember when I got braces I had a "bowl" of chicken breast.

jopapa1267
06-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Try eating oatmeal. Oatmeal is like super soft and im pretty sure even if you cant chew them, you can just swallow them.

kate
06-15-2006, 06:48 PM
Try eating oatmeal. Oatmeal is like super soft and im pretty sure even if you cant chew them, you can just swallow them.

lol....i suppose it wouldnt hurt!!

PhilsterT
06-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Hah hah, you might think you can work out now, but I doubt it. Any oly bar would crush you, even if it was on the ground. After surgery for the next few days I would just be walking (trying to) and then falling over and sleeping because the drugs really ****ed with me. I felt dizzy and sick for 3-4 days constant.

drew
06-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Just DO NOT use a straw. You'll suction out the clots and it will be very painful.

For the first few days (when you can't brush your teeth) stay away from anything with a strong flavor, as it will stay with you for days (garlic mashed potatoes were a bad choice).

I ate a lot of white fish when I had mine out. It flakes off and you can pretty much just put it in your mouth and swallow.

Jorge Sanchez
06-15-2006, 08:54 PM
When I got my 5 -- yes 5, I am a genetic anomaly -- wisdom teeth removed I was fine after 4-5 days, both physically and in terms of eating solids.

For those 4-5 days I ate ice cream and kraft dinner, that's about it. You just had surgery and a few days with a sub-par diet isn't going to kill you.

superhombre2k
06-16-2006, 08:43 PM
When I had my wisdom teeth out, they were surgically removed so I had stitches to protect. I had a lot of milkshakes (real ice cream and skim milk, not the McDonald's crap), mashed up bananas, and mashed sweet potatoes. I did alright with it... I recovered pretty quickly and went back to eating normal foods after a week or so.

Teufelhund
06-16-2006, 09:38 PM
whitefish is a good idea... you can just mash it up with your tongue against the roof of your mouth, as long as its not overcooked.

toki
06-16-2006, 10:07 PM
I would say you'll be safe with soup, protein shakes, and milk.

Bam
06-16-2006, 11:23 PM
peanut butter?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-16-2006, 11:30 PM
Ouch?

ottomanart
06-17-2006, 02:02 AM

Eww. I don't even want to imagine like...a steak shake.
Don't knock it till you try it... a nice "cream of well done" is great with a bit of A1....

Hahah yeah I remember when I got braces I had a "bowl" of chicken breast.
HAHAHAH that's one I will have to try at some point.

Drinking things that are supposed to be solid is weired at first but it's not bad.

You can always just go for the normal protien shakes (fruit, veg, etc). Try adding new things, like icecream and yogurt.... maybe some spinach. They are all going to mix at the bottem anyway!

the doc
06-17-2006, 10:23 AM
milkshakes made from yummy ice cream, natty PB, milk, and your favourite protein powder

lifter4life
06-17-2006, 09:56 PM
It depends if you have any problems with your wisdom teeth. Some people's grow in horizontal and into their jaw bones, but if it isn't bad you should be back in no time. You probably shouldn't lift when you are on pain killers though.

Surgery is crazy. For my surgery I was put on morphine before I went under and I seriously cannot remember even going into the doctors office. Two days after I had mine pulled I stood up off the couch real quick and I puked everrrrrywhere. Watch out.

ottomanart
06-17-2006, 10:05 PM
Surgery is crazy. For my surgery I was put on morphine before I went under and I seriously cannot remember even going into the doctors office. Two days after I had mine pulled I stood up off the couch real quick and I puked everrrrrywhere. Watch out.

LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... I haven'thad mine out yet... I'm 24 and they just aren't there... maybe I am lucky... but if I do get them yanked, I hope i get drugged up and puck all over the DR... at least I will have a good story to tell later!:nod:

dissipate
06-18-2006, 06:10 PM
yikes all these posts are making me scared... i have one wisdom tooth half-out on my top right

kate
06-20-2006, 12:04 AM
ok, well yes they hurt....i am eating soup and icecream!! lol its baaaaad! but i'm not in too much pain now i'm taking lots of drugs!!

Mussty
06-20-2006, 12:38 AM
When i got mine out i had 4 wisdom removed and another 3 removed while i was there (they werent rotten or anything just overcrowed mouth). I wasnt a big fan of soups so i got foods that were reasonably soft like chicken breast potatoes and only chewed them a couple of times with my front teeth than swallowed them semi chewed if you know what i mean. Oh i hope your face didnt swell up too much mine looked i was carrying 2 tennis balls is either cheek. :thumbup:

edit: spelling

kate
06-20-2006, 04:12 AM
lol yeah have a bit of swelling but nothing too bad!

KingWilder
06-20-2006, 06:51 AM
is your face bruised? I didn't have swelling or bruising buy my friends cheeks got puffy and they were like yellow/brown

kate
06-20-2006, 04:15 PM
na no bruising yet...thank god!! or i would be packing on the makeup!

dissipate
06-21-2006, 02:45 AM
na no bruising yet...thank god!! or i would be packing on the makeup!

rofl. which part of oz are you from?

Guido
06-21-2006, 08:33 AM
They give you any Vicodin? That **** makes you loopy.

LifeSize
06-21-2006, 05:27 PM
Hah.. You can do the V-Diet for the next two weeks and think of it as a cut..

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=546491&pageNo=0 (there are more links related to the same topic on T-bag)

Seriously, shakes wont kill you and if done right you can have a lot of healthy variety..mix veggies with fruits and save the protein shakes as your main meals.. Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, Sweet Potato (mashed), well cooked - well moistened oats (don't chew), etc..

kate
06-21-2006, 07:28 PM
rofl. which part of oz are you from?

Melbourne

MixmasterNash
06-21-2006, 07:58 PM
They give you any Vicodin? That **** makes you loopy.
Yep, it's good stuff.

dissipate
06-22-2006, 06:03 PM
Melbourne
ehhhhhhhhh which suburb?

there was a guy here from wollongong... risk10k and i are in perth

kate
06-22-2006, 06:48 PM
it says u r in asia???

dissipate
06-24-2006, 02:53 AM
yeah originally from asia, in perth atm studying