PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Press Video

d'Anconia
06-14-2006, 09:08 PM
Getting used to the whole video thing but here is 75lbs for 7 reps. Last one is a little shady but whatevs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ77wTenPeo

MixmasterNash
06-14-2006, 09:17 PM
Good strength, but do them without a back support -- you're doing a high incline press right now.

And get a hair cut, hippie!

MM
06-14-2006, 09:35 PM
Dude, a wifebeater. Don't be that guy.

Good strength.

Keith
06-14-2006, 09:53 PM
Dude, a wifebeater. Don't be that guy.

Good strength.

And what type of guy wears a wifebeater?

Decent strength for your build bro.

GoodThings
06-14-2006, 10:09 PM
Good strength, but do them without a back support -- you're doing a high incline press right now.

And get a hair cut, hippie!

I do them pretty similar to as seen in the video. I'm damned sure its working my shoulders hard....

I don't see too much wrong with his form, you can see him scoot back into the seat at the beginning of the set to minimize the back assistance.

Whats wrong with a clean white wife beater? What about colored ones? I wear tan, blue, grey, white, black at the gym.

MM
06-14-2006, 10:13 PM
WHAT?!

You guys are all too new. I suppose it's okay as long as you don't have ILS.

(really I was just giving him a hard time)

Sidior
06-14-2006, 10:16 PM
WHAT?!

I got it

Keith
06-14-2006, 10:21 PM
WHAT?!

What is ILS?

d'Anconia
06-14-2006, 10:24 PM
LOL "ILS", I'll have to remember that one. I'll have to try it without back support but I'm a little worried because it seems like the arms would be more likely to "fall" backward which would not be good for the shoulder. Either way I'll give it a try. My form is usually decent near the beginning but those last couple reps I ALWAYS end up arching the back.

I like sleeveless shirts in general because they don't really restrict the motion at all and they breathe a lot better. I hate seeing guys with pit stains...

d'Anconia
06-14-2006, 10:25 PM
What is ILS?

Acronym for Inflated Lat Syndrome. ILS is a primal threat/mating display observed in the human male. The ILS display involves the male human holding out its arms away from its body at approximately a 20-40 degree angle and then walking with a slow deliberate gait inorder to look more imposing to other humans. The posture is used primarily as a form of non-verbal communication such as a mating display to attract or impress females or as a defense or dominance posture to appear larger to a threat or to intimidate rival males.

ILS displays can be observed :
In the gym after an insecure male works out for 3-5 minutes.
On the beach when a single male approaches a group of females.
When a male enters a bar or dance club.
When a male is too scared to throw the first punch in a fight.
On the outside of mosh pits by the bouncer whos had enough of sweaty punks bumping in to him.

Dude. Check the wigger with ILS and a bad attitude coming through the door, he must think hes the **** or something. Lets kick his ass later.

Urban Dictionary is bookmarked in my browser. On my toolbar in fact for times like these.

Keith
06-14-2006, 10:33 PM
Haha thats awesome. THAT is bad. At least there is a reason for people wearing wife beaters. ILS is just sad.

Rex
06-14-2006, 11:07 PM
Nice lifting bro. The squats too, nice and strong.

KevinStarke
06-15-2006, 10:01 AM
Strong shoulder pressing man, good job.

accuFLEX
06-15-2006, 11:07 AM
looking strong man

Deadlifter
06-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Nice, now do it standing. :p

d'Anconia
06-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Hey when you guys do them without back supports, do you usually have a spotter?

Bob
06-15-2006, 12:31 PM
Dude.. you are f'ing strong for your looks... you don't look 208 and you don't look like >400 squats and >75 DB shoulder presses..

Your genetics are pretty awesome... I hope you continue to push yourself..

I think you will find the presses a little tougher standing.. but you also experience some back pain if you don't do them with good form... go a littler lighter at first..

I almost never have a spotter.. just don't trust a lot of folks at my gym.. and any decent guys have different schedules...

So without spotters.. it is most important to concentrate on your form and make sure you are not doing something wrong - wrong leverage, wrong angle, etc... of coarse I also beleive that the best form wins with the best strength gains.

djreef
06-15-2006, 12:37 PM
Cool trick I learned form one of the BFL mags was to sit ass on the floor with your legs spread in front of you at a roughly 60 degree angle while DB pressing with no back support. Any attempt to shift the weight up to your chest pushes your upper body down to the floor.

DJ

Jorge Sanchez
06-15-2006, 01:44 PM
I used to do DB shoulder presses as my shoulder pressing movement. Just a couple of months ago I switched to military presses. I like it alot more, as it builds core strength as well. It's a bit of a hit to the ego when you have to drop the weight though, but I think it's worth it.

getfit
06-15-2006, 01:51 PM
pretty strong press there, i agree with mix on the back support.Do you do standing military press?

d'Anconia
06-15-2006, 02:17 PM
So when you do military presses (DB or BB), are you NOT supposed to arch the back at all? I've never really tried them before...

Stumprrp
06-15-2006, 04:05 PM
good job dude

Gutz981
06-15-2006, 06:34 PM
your small for your strength. Blessed with the gentics of strength but not with size...or your just training like a powerlifter.

d'Anconia
06-15-2006, 06:50 PM
Well my diet and the fact that I don't do much volume probably keep me from getting very big. I'll get there...

dw06wu
06-15-2006, 09:08 PM
I used to do DB shoulder presses as my shoulder pressing movement. Just a couple of months ago I switched to military presses. I like it alot more, as it builds core strength as well. It's a bit of a hit to the ego when you have to drop the weight though, but I think it's worth it.
Well I was going to say exactly this but jorge already took care of it. It's definitely a better movement. It's definitely also a big hit to the ego.

d'Anconia
06-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Well that's why we leave the ego at the door.

KingWilder
06-15-2006, 09:23 PM
nice work man

I honestly don't even think I could kick the 75s up to my shoulders haha