PDA

View Full Version : Pre-bed food suggestions

somedude
06-15-2006, 08:17 AM
Over the summer, because of my working situation, I won't be in full control over my meals (meal plan), and I won't have access to a refrigerator. I know the standard suggestion for a food to eat before going to sleep to avoid catabolism is cottage cheese, but that won't be possible because of the lack of a refrigerator. Are there any foods that are a good source of casein (or other slow-acting proteins) would be good to eat before going to bed and don't need to be refrigerated? I would much rather not have to buy casein powder...any foods meet this requirement? Thanks!

HILL
06-15-2006, 08:20 AM
dnt be to picky about it. as long as your getting a decent amount of protein in before bed you will be fine

ddegroff
06-15-2006, 08:24 AM
Casein protein powder dosen't need a fridge. How about nuts? They'll digest slowly because of the fat content.

somedude
06-15-2006, 08:29 AM
I know I said I would much rather have food (as opposed to a shake), but just a hypothetical question:

Would it be a bad idea to take a whey protein shake before going to sleep? I've heard mixed reports...I know it's a fast-acting protein and doesn't have much of an anti-catabolic effect...but would this work?

ddegroff
06-15-2006, 08:34 AM
bad idea most likely no, because your still getting some protein. Before bed your looking for something thats gonna take a while to digest. So if you don't want to buy some extra protein powder, add some Olive oil to that whey to slow it down a bit.

Since you said you don't have a fridge nuts are your best whole food option.

FREAKZILLA
06-15-2006, 10:05 AM
I will sometimes scramble an egg 30 minutes before bed. Most of the time I have a cassein shake.

WORLD
06-15-2006, 10:44 AM
I always finish my day with a Home made shake. You said you would rather have food right? Well home made shakes are mostly food. If you include peanut butter, olive oil, oats, a banana, some honey, then some protein powder and whatever else you want, you have yourself a high calorie shake that will be good for the night.

KingWilder
06-15-2006, 02:24 PM
it's funny that there is a thread on this RIGHT BELOW this one

with that being said...cottage cheese, milk, nuts, fruit

personally I take in a blended cottage cheese + micellar protein shake

bdd814
06-15-2006, 02:32 PM
I like to have cottage cheese and PB.