PDA

View Full Version : Calorie question....

Fat Man
06-15-2006, 03:52 PM
I have never counted calories in my life. After reading the more advanced users here its obviously the most important thing to do. So after reading some of the articles about Carb Cycling, and diet I figured my BMR, and then took away a percentage to equal what my daily caloric intake should be....The number is around 2500.

Before my diet I had alot of soda's and fast food. Looking back on it the amount of empty calories I had was ridiculous. Besides that I believe my metabolism was low due to a desk job(inactivity), and an injury preventing me from lifting.

So now that Im eating read food every meal(5-6 meals a day)and I find myself sooo much fuller, and its really hard for me to get to 2400 calories/300g protein. In the last few days I have felt very full. I almost feel like im bulking.

Do I just stay on course with 2500 a day, or do I lower my calorie intake ?

RedSpikeyThing
06-15-2006, 03:55 PM
Are you achieving your goals by consuming 2500 calories per day? If so, then keep at it. If not, then alter it accordingly. It's that easy :)

Taking a percentage of your BMR isn't always the best approach. Often what people do is drop that number by 500 to cut and increase it by 500 to bulk. This will get your bodyweight to change by 1-2 lbs / week, which is considered to be the ideal.

Hope that helps!

ddegroff
06-15-2006, 03:56 PM
track on fitday.com for a couple of weeks. If you lose weight then your eating around the right cals. If not then lower the cals. When you eat caloric dense food it keeps you more full.

Eszekial
06-15-2006, 05:02 PM
It would help us tremendously if we knew where you were starting from.

If you are as overweight as your make yourself out to be, then i would just suggest starting off by cleaning up your diet. Tracking, maintenance, and all that is probably not necessary right now.

Fat Man
06-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Redspikeything: I actually have not. Ive been tracking it for a few days in which I try to eat every three hours and Im only up to 2000. I end up being so full that it takes longer to be hungry.

Ddegroff: I think the carb cycle I originally read was either posted by you or "Built", as well as all the other good stuff I read here. Your absolutely right about the calorie dense food. I was eating well over 3500 calories a day with fast food and soda's, and hero's. Now its really hard for me to eat 2000 and Im 230 pounds. Do you think it should be more about when your hungry? Lets say Im eating 2400 a day and right now Im trying to eat 400 calorie meals--Should I lower the calories per meal and still go with six meals ?

Eszekial: Here is my journal I started here since I started to be extremely serious about my diet, and Learning as much as possible.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=80841&highlight=fat+man

Since its long, here's a summary.

Im 23 yrs old, 5'10, and 233 pounds currently which is the heaviest in my life. I have always been athletic playing every sport possible and lifting. When finishing with college last year I began to lift for as much power as possible. I was about 215 with not high fat I hurt my shoulder bench pressing 120 pd dumbells.

Going from active in college with sports and lifting to a desk job with no activity for 8 months turned alot of muscle to fat and I balloned up to 240. About a month/Month and a half ago I was able to lift again and start being active. Since then I came down to 233 but with alot more muscle.

My lifts are about where I want them to be right now but I needed to start a diet, and started it this week. My main two goals right now are getting my metabolism as high as possible, and diet the right way. In my journal if you scroll down fast you can see I work out too often but only plan to do so for a few more weeks. For the past two weeks I have run around 2 miles a day, and started feeling great.

My biggest problem is the diet, not because of desire, but perhaps because of lack of knowledge.

From reading some articles on this site, this is where I stand.

From reading this article
http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=811783

I calculated the base calories I should take in everyday to be around 3000. Since Im trying to lose weight I took off 20 % and close to 500 calories which seemed to be what most agreed on here. (2300--2500). I think my problem is I used to get in easily 3000 calories a day with soda's, fast food, and hero's. With real food, 2000 is hard. I mean just with soda alone I eliminated 500 calories a day.

I attempting to cycle my carbs in which my heavy days I take in 3 meals, other days 2 meals, and my off days 1/0 meal(of carbs).

If I read everything right I should be eating Protein/Fat meals mostly with some Carb/Protein meals as listed above, and thats what Ive been sticking to.

Well I hope that wasnt too long, Thanks for the responces. I appreciate any/all help I can get.

BigGuns1
06-16-2006, 11:36 PM
okay what is happening to you happens to me too. When ever i go on a cutting diet after a week to 2 weeks i start feeling full easily. I came to the conclusion it was either the high number of protein that was eating or less food is making me feel full...kinda like if your used to eating alot then when you don;t eat you feel hungry..opposite when you stop eating alot then less food makes you feel full...thats what i came to...but if you arent losing the weight you want...then cut the calories slowly even further..but not below 1,800 and you should see results..here is the diet i follow http://www.allsupplementinfo.com/Articles/FatLossGuide.html..
been working down from 199 to 176 in about 3 months hard work..i also been using the postworkout and preworkout shakes listed on the site along with the the cardio..but seems as if the weight is starting to slow down a little in the last 2 weeks havn't really lost any weight...hope i answered something
good luck

Built
06-17-2006, 12:17 AM
FM, the only thing I can offer you is, to begin with, massive props for taking control of this, and that the only thing to do from this point is to track your progress. If you continue to lose at a reasonable pace (ie not much more than a pound a week), leave 'er alone. As you stall, you'll have to drop calories a bit, but hold out as long as possible. Meanwhile, just keep the iron on the bar.

I carb cycle, too - but I do a much simpler version - just high and low days. It keeps it easy to follow, and it's worked very well for me. Link in my sig describes how I do it, and I can set up the numbers for you if you want me to.

The way you're doing it is absolutely fine, though. I'm just not that organized, so if you feel lazy, mine's another option.

Keep up the good work!

ddegroff
06-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Well read Built's post and her sig and you should be well on your way.

Now the biggest thing about carb cycling is you have most of your carbs around your workout. On your off days you just take most of the carbs out of your diet for the day (most simple terms). Thats the part thats up to the individual, I may survive off of less carbs on a off day than your or visa versa.

Fat Man
06-17-2006, 06:05 PM
FM, the only thing I can offer you is, to begin with, massive props for taking control of this, and that the only thing to do from this point is to track your progress. If you continue to lose at a reasonable pace (ie not much more than a pound a week), leave 'er alone. As you stall, you'll have to drop calories a bit, but hold out as long as possible. Meanwhile, just keep the iron on the bar.

I carb cycle, too - but I do a much simpler version - just high and low days. It keeps it easy to follow, and it's worked very well for me. Link in my sig describes how I do it, and I can set up the numbers for you if you want me to.

The way you're doing it is absolutely fine, though. I'm just not that organized, so if you feel lazy, mine's another option.

Keep up the good work!

Read just about everything in your sig, and it was extremely detailed and helpful. Training plains makes sense(Im a Bio major), and I think Im going to try it in a few weeks.

If what Im reading is correct you believe its more about grams of Protein/Fat maintance per day, and you use carbs for energy on workout days? So Protein 1-1.5g per pound, and .5 Fat per gram of LM? Is the type of fat Im trying to consume monounsaturated? I saw the sticky above for which foods are good for fat, but specifically we try to avoid saturated, and consume monounsaturated?

Btw, I seriously can not believe your 42. From your pictures you can easily pass for late 20's/early thirties.....

Lastly, I saw you as well as another bodybuilder mention doing a "brisk walk" in the morning for 20 minutes everyday. Is that helpful for fat loss?

--Thanks.

Also thanks Ddegroff. Im figuring from what you guys are saying carb cycling is different for everyone. I know some people here basically eat carbs before and after a workout. Would it be okay if I just had them before?/do you need them after?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Would it be okay if I just had them before?/do you need them after?You need it before for energy and after to replenish your glycogen stores.

Built
06-17-2006, 07:30 PM
Read just about everything in your sig, and it was extremely detailed and helpful. Training plains makes sense(Im a Bio major), and I think Im going to try it in a few weeks.

Cool.

If what Im reading is correct you believe its more about grams of Protein/Fat maintance per day, and you use carbs for energy on workout days? So Protein 1-1.5g per pound, and .5 Fat per gram of LM?

These are minimums - they can go higher, just not lower.

Is the type of fat Im trying to consume monounsaturated? I saw the sticky above for which foods are good for fat, but specifically we try to avoid saturated, and consume monounsaturated?

Approx 33% from each of PUFA, MUFA and SFA is probably a good guildline to follow. You do need SOME SFA. I take 10g fish oil daily. You might consider it.

Btw, I seriously can not believe your 42. From your pictures you can easily pass for late 20's/early thirties.....

:kiss:

Your cheque is in the mail. :)

Lastly, I saw you as well as another bodybuilder mention doing a "brisk walk" in the morning for 20 minutes everyday. Is that helpful for fat loss?

A 20-minute walk won't hurt you - I did this last summer on my cut, and I had a really good cut. I may do it again this summer - haven't decided if I'll do it fasted or not this time, though. I did it pre-breakfast last year; I'm now thinking this may not be necessary, although it certainly wasn't horrible.

--Thanks.

Also thanks Ddegroff. Im figuring from what you guys are saying carb cycling is different for everyone. I know some people here basically eat carbs before and after a workout. Would it be okay if I just had them before?/do you need them after?

You need it before for energy and after to replenish your glycogen stores.

While I agree with sCaRz, my feeling is that if you've had slower carb not too far ahead of your workout, you'll have sufficient in your body after training to hold you.

In practice, I do a small starch/protein/fat meal about an hour or so before I lift, and a lowfat protein and starch meal after, and this has been very comfortable for me.

Give me the number of lifting days, your LBM and maint cals and the % deficit you intend to start with and I'll set up the high and low days if you like.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-17-2006, 07:47 PM
While I agree with sCaRz, my feeling is that if you've had slower carb not too far ahead of your workout, you'll have sufficient in your body after training to hold you.I guess it all depends on the duration of the workout and the type of training. Your liver can hold a lot of glycogen, as well as your muscles. I agree with you though. Plus it's best to do what makes you feel the most comfortable.

Built
06-17-2006, 07:58 PM
If OP is coming off low-carbing, it might be a more comfortable approach to take as he eases his way back into a carbier world. It's how I did it after coming off Atkins.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-17-2006, 08:06 PM
Oh wait...I must've missed that. o_0 Never mind, lol. You're more familiar with "low-carbing" than I am. :)

Built
06-17-2006, 08:22 PM
sCaRz, I'm not sure if he's been low-carbing, I just remember being fat and how carbs used to make me feel.

This way he has options to consider.

:)

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-17-2006, 08:27 PM
:scratch:

I'm so confused. ^_^

Yes, yes. Options are good. I would say that carbs make me hungry, but I think I'm starting to realize that I'm ALWAYS hungry no matter how much I eat. I think my appetite is coming back. Which will be good when I start training next Friday for the first time in a year.