PDA

View Full Version : rank these sources of fat

dtshen
06-15-2006, 11:07 PM
if you took 10 grams of each of these fat sources, rank the order in which it is best for you

cheese
natty pb
butter
sour cream
olive oil
vegetable oil

Built
06-15-2006, 11:10 PM
Olive oil
natty pb
butter

vegetable oil.

Cheese and sour cream are just variations on the "butter" theme - with a little bit of protein and carb tossed in as contaminants.

anth15
06-16-2006, 03:42 PM
udo's oil blend

arya202
06-16-2006, 04:50 PM
Hey built what do you think is better fish oil or olive oil? I can't get fish oil because my mom doesn't want it stinking up the house, and I have a hard time swallowing pills.

Is fish oil from the fish I get 1 or 2 times a week good enough?

Built
06-16-2006, 05:01 PM
They're both important. Fish oil is a source of Omega-3;
olive oil is a MUFA.

Article coming out next month here on WBB will discuss Omega-3.

Meanwhile, read this:

Omega-3 in fish table: http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/106/21/2747/TBL3

Bruise Brubaker
06-16-2006, 08:40 PM
Butter can be extremely healthy, especially if it comes from organic pastured cows, being rich in EFA's, CLA, vitamin A, and many fatty acids that can work against infections and are good for intestinal health.

Butter
Olive oil
Peanuts
vegetable oil doesn't deserve to exist

Progress
06-16-2006, 08:58 PM
It's odd that vegetable oil is such a bad thing. It's origins are in soy, you'd think there would be a form of it that is left out of the world of industrial food manufacturing.

the doc
06-17-2006, 10:42 AM
"vegetable oil" could be made from corn, soybean, peanut, or other plant based oils. It is hard to say where it would rank relative to the others. Generally these oils are liquids at room temperature and are high in monounsaturated fats.

generally for someone on a conventional carb based eating plan i would rank them in the following manner

olive oil
natty pb
vegetable oil
butter (conventional)
cheese/sour cream
margarine

There are numerous studies which determine a relation between high-saturated fat intake and increased risk of heart disease

for someone on a ketogenic eating plan I would rank oils similarly. However, in reality saturated fat intake on keto plans is high due to high meat intake. Due to the changes in the metabolic patterns and chemistry of keto dieting, saturated fat intake may not have the same effects (in terms of heart disease). However, i think keto dieters should adopt a strategy to maximize unsaturated fat intake in any added oils to meals (such as oil added to stir fry, or in spreads, salad dressings)