PDA

View Full Version : Weight Loss, unexpected gain.

pakse
06-16-2006, 10:45 AM
Howdy folks,

I'm 5'8", my highest weight was 265. Very slightly cleaned up my eating act in November of last year and managed to drop 25lbs over 6 months doing nothing except slight diet modifications. This encouraged me to start to try to lose weight for real.

My history - high school - cross country, wrestling, track (weight 148-156). College and Military - weight never got over 160, was in fairly good shape (did a bit of diving in the Military).

Age 28 - I'm in decent shape. Suddenly - I'm 40, run a business, have a family and I'm 265. I know why - I eat way too much.

As I said in my opening - Nov05 265, May06 240 (today 220)

Starting in May - I followed WBB#1 and I did 30-60 minutes of cardio daily (mostly elliptical). I'm now down to 220.

However - for the past week I have actually gained a 1 lb - this is what's confusing me. My calories average 2k a day - I figure my metabolism is at least 3300 a day.

My diet for the past month has been very consistant. 300-500 cal breakfast, 300-500 cal lunch and 500-1100 cal dinner. A typical menu would be:

Breakfast - 80g oatmeal
- coffee w/ 2oz milk
- multi-vitamin

Lunch - 5-6 oz spinach/romain/spring greens
- 30g salad dressing (generally lower fat ranch mostly).

Dinner - Green Pepper, onion, 20oz turkey, 6oz asparagus, 3oz mushrooms, 1 tomato.

I'm keeping my carbs low because when I was 265 my blood sugar seemed high (right now it's fine). My blood pressure has also gone from high to normal. Just had a complete physical, including a stress test which I passed with flying colors (including things like liver and kidney function, etc...).

Anyway - here's the question :)

Why have I gained 1.5 lbs this past week? After losing an average of 3+ lbs a week - suddenly wham - I've got a weight gain? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Keep the faith,

Pakse

Eszekial
06-16-2006, 10:48 AM
During my first cut, i started off by losing 5, then gained 3 right back.

Rather confident it was a gain in lean body mass, being as i started off being pretty noob.

Net loss of 25 at the moment.

Clifford Gillmore
06-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Are you tracking your food intake? How much fluid are you getting in? Did you have anything with alot of sodium thats causing a touch of fluid retention? Creatine?

pakse
06-16-2006, 11:34 AM
Howdy,

I use fitday to track my food intake. I weigh most of my food and have a reasonable accurate record of my food intake.

I would guess my fluid intake is around 32oz of plain water a day, and another 30-60oz a day split amount coffee (12-16oz), tea (30oz) and the occassional diet soda (16-32oz).

My sodium monthly average is 3000mg/day (and my weekly and daily averages for the time period in question have no significant variance).

As to creatine - I'm not sure what that is, nor how to to track it. Any advice would be appreciated.

My actual sodium count is likely higher than above as I do not enter salt I add to food, nor salt in seasonings (such as hot sauce, etc...) and I do use a fair bit.

Keep the faith,

Pakse

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-16-2006, 01:51 PM
I would guess my fluid intake is around 32oz of plain water a day, and another 30-60oz a day split amount coffee (12-16oz), tea (30oz) and the occassional diet soda (16-32oz).You need to drink less coffee and drink more fluids - - water and millk are good ideas. I've read that when you drink one cup of coffee, you need to drink two cups of water to make up for the diuretic effects of it.

Eszekial
06-16-2006, 01:54 PM
Light on the milk. No more than 2 cups a day (based on a few experts recomendations).

HILL
06-16-2006, 02:00 PM
your metabolism maye have slowed down as you have been dieting for a while mine did so i uped my cal for a week to maintanance then droped em slightly again and hey presto i started loosing. try it add say 1000 cals

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-16-2006, 02:03 PM
Light on the milk. No more than 2 cups a day (based on a few experts recomendations).Do you have any studies for this? Some folks on here drink half a gallon or more a day. And what is the reasoning behind the 2 cups statement?

RedSpikeyThing
06-16-2006, 02:05 PM
A couple of things:

1) Scales aren't always right. 1.5 lbs in a week could be attributed to the inconsistancies of the scale.

2) If you are eating 2000 cals and your metabolism is 3300, that means you are in a caloric deficit of 1300 cals / day, or 9100 cals / week. Since it takes about 3500 cals to lose a pound, you would be looking at a loss of 2.6 lbs/week.

There a few reasons for what has happened:
- You are eating more than you think. Track your diet on www.fitday.com and find out.

- your metabolism has decreased. This can happen on a cut.

- your scale is off.

- you gained lean body mass. This is a good thing.

Hope that helps you figure out what is going on!

HILL
06-16-2006, 02:15 PM
nothing wrong with more than 2 cups of milk. as scarz said people drink loads on here. i used to average proberly 4 litres a day when bulking due to a all liquad diet

pakse
06-16-2006, 03:16 PM
Howdy,

I do track everything on http://www.fitday.com - I love the site. I also use the same scale at the gym. Generally I eat breakfast, hit the gym - then weigh myself.

However - whatever caused the bump up in my weight - today it's back down to a reasonable number (220).

I would love to be gaining lean body mass - but I'm thinking that impossible when I'm losing fat right? The amount of weight I can lift rises ever week - but I assume that's just the muscles getting stronger - not bigger?

What I'm taking away from this thread is:

1. I obsess too much about numbers on a scale.
2. My sodium intake may be causing me to retain water.
3. Going to have to watch for my metabolism slowing down as I lose weight.

I want to thank everyone who responded, all your comments were appreciated.

Keep the faith,

Pakse

RedSpikeyThing
06-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Are you new(ish) to lifting? If so, it is entirely possible to gain some muscle while cutting.

As for your three points afterwards: 1. Yes 2. Yes 3. Yes

Again, the scale thing could be literally the same scale being weird (som are only accurate to within 1-2 lbs). Some things that can change the number on the scale: if you drank more water, ate more food before getting on the scale, didn't go to the washroom when you normaly do, etc.

Best advice: Go by what you look like. Take pictures wearing the same thing every week and compare to past weeks. Your best guide is the mirror, not the scale.

pakse
06-16-2006, 04:36 PM
Howdy,

I am very new to lifting (well - newish - this is the first time I've lifted in around 15 years).

I'm trying to use the WBB1 routine - although I have to use the smith machine and other machines for some of it (no spotter). I am finding significant strength gains possibly. The possibly because I find it difficult to measure how much I can lift (does that make sense). Also - following the WBB1 as I understand it for only a month - means I've only done each group 4x now (1x per week).

This is likely to be the wrong forum for this aspect of things - I may try to post something under the lifting forum (now that I think about it - I've really got a few questions regarding my lifting).

Thanks, you've encouraged me to think about the lifting aspect of what I'm doing more than I had.

Keep the faith,

Pakse

RedSpikeyThing
06-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Since you're new, you can expect to see newbie gains. These are really fast gains in strength that can be attributed to any combination of things. This will also contribute to your increase in weight. It could be either water weight or lean body mass, but in either case I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you are achieving your goals, you're doing great!

Galosat
06-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Howdy folks,

I'm 5'8", my highest weight was 265. Very slightly cleaned up my eating act in November of last year and managed to drop 25lbs over 6 months doing nothing except slight diet modifications. This encouraged me to start to try to lose weight for real.

My history - high school - cross country, wrestling, track (weight 148-156). College and Military - weight never got over 160, was in fairly good shape (did a bit of diving in the Military).

Age 28 - I'm in decent shape. Suddenly - I'm 40, run a business, have a family and I'm 265. I know why - I eat way too much.

As I said in my opening - Nov05 265, May06 240 (today 220)

Starting in May - I followed WBB#1 and I did 30-60 minutes of cardio daily (mostly elliptical). I'm now down to 220.

However - for the past week I have actually gained a 1 lb - this is what's confusing me. My calories average 2k a day - I figure my metabolism is at least 3300 a day.

My diet for the past month has been very consistant. 300-500 cal breakfast, 300-500 cal lunch and 500-1100 cal dinner. A typical menu would be:

Breakfast - 80g oatmeal
- coffee w/ 2oz milk
- multi-vitamin

Lunch - 5-6 oz spinach/romain/spring greens
- 30g salad dressing (generally lower fat ranch mostly).

Dinner - Green Pepper, onion, 20oz turkey, 6oz asparagus, 3oz mushrooms, 1 tomato.

I'm keeping my carbs low because when I was 265 my blood sugar seemed high (right now it's fine). My blood pressure has also gone from high to normal. Just had a complete physical, including a stress test which I passed with flying colors (including things like liver and kidney function, etc...).

Anyway - here's the question :)

Why have I gained 1.5 lbs this past week? After losing an average of 3+ lbs a week - suddenly wham - I've got a weight gain? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Keep the faith,

Pakse

Hey Pakse,

I am 5' 6" and now weight 225lbs.

About 6 moths ago I wighted 285lbs and was really out of shape, so I started dieting and working out. In the beggining I lost about 30lbs very fast and then things slowed down a bit.

So here's what I did to get kick my metabolism into high gear:
1st thing: I planned to eat 6 meals a day. I'll describe a little to give you an Idea of what I'm eating.

6:00 am 1 cup of high fiber cereal with skim milk and blueberries.
9:00 am Eggwhite veggie omelet.
12:00pm Salad with grilled chicken breat. No dressing. Just olive oil.
3:30pm A myoplex lite meal replaciment shake from EAS.
2 Lipo six capsules half an hour before working out. Only on workout days.
Dinner Salad with either salmon, tiplapia or chicken breast.
Also I always took a Multivitamin and A maximum green pill from GNC.

As far as working out.
I Try to make at least 5 days a week to the gym. And my weight keeps droping.

Here's what I usually do.

I try to do 3 sets of 15 reps each.

I usually do 3 different exercises per body part.

Mon: Chest and Biceps.

Tues. Legs and Calves.

Wed. Back and triceps.

Thur. Shoulders and abs.

Fri, Sat and Sun. I star repeating everything again.

I always do 30 minutes of cardio after I finish lifting everyday.

And i do abs every workout also.

Obs. "Don't take fat burning pills if you have high blood pressure".

Looking at what you wrote I really think you should eat more often and maybe ust a little less each time.

Try to spend at least 30 minutes lifting and 30 minutes on cardio and you'll do good!.

Good luck!

Galosat.