PDA

View Full Version : 16 year old, wants to start bulking up

RBB26
06-18-2006, 09:26 AM
Hey I'm 16 yrs old, 142 lbs, no fat, and wanna start bulking up.

Have never done any form of weightlifting or bodybuilding before, so any tips on exercises/muscle groups to concentrate on would be appreciated.

My main focus is on chest and arms, and I aim to reach 180 lbs at some stage. Thanks.

What exercise should I start with?

Currently:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/RBB26/Image_0130.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/RBB26/Image_0124.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/RBB26/Image_0117.jpg

Jinkies
06-18-2006, 10:47 AM
Theres no secret to getting big

Eat
Squat, Deadlift, and Benchpress
Rest

all you gotta do

KingWilder
06-18-2006, 01:46 PM
:withstupi

I'd throw in some pullups/chins and dips as well and maybe even bent over rows

Jorge Sanchez
06-18-2006, 02:54 PM
At 16 years old and as thin as you are, just find a decent routine (ie: WBB1) and eat everything in sight and you will put on alot of muscle with very little fat.

KarateBoy
06-18-2006, 05:24 PM
No don't eat everything in sight. *rolls eyes*

Eat lots and lots of complex carbs, wheat bread, bagel, and the like. Fat is going to get you no where you want to be. All calories are not created equal.

RBB26
06-18-2006, 06:10 PM
complex carbs it is. how important is diet in regards to putting on muscle?

Is it important to have a specific calorie intake too? I dont really watch what I eat at the moment.

KingWilder
06-18-2006, 06:17 PM
diet is about 80% of gaining muscle/losing fat/maintaining what you have

check out the diet forum and start tracking your calories on www.fitday.com

I'm sure Built wouldn't mind answering some questions you may have if you can't find specific answers in the diet/nutrition forum

ottomanart
06-18-2006, 11:27 PM
diet is about 80% of gaining muscle/losing fat/maintaining what you have

check out the diet forum and start tracking your calories on www.fitday.com

I'm sure Built wouldn't mind answering some questions you may have if you can't find specific answers in the diet/nutrition forum

Wanna bulk? EAT EVERYTHING IN SIGHT!!!!:nod:
wanna clean bulk? count the cals and raise your intake a bit above maintanace, and mind the sugars.

:withstupi talk to Built... she'll rock your world with knowlede of the "strange and wonderful"!!!

RBB26
06-19-2006, 04:50 AM
thanks. is Built a member here?

fitday looks very useful. Thanks again!

RBB
06-19-2006, 07:49 AM

Eat lots and lots of complex carbs, wheat bread, bagel, and the like. Fat is going to get you no where you want to be. All calories are not created equal.
that's some of the worst advice you can give someone. its very important to make sure you're getting adequate amounts of healthy fats. at least 20% of your cals need to be coming from fats. fitday is a very useful tool for getting your diet together. you're lean right now and you've got plenty of room to bulk. get to it.

sharkall2003
06-19-2006, 08:59 AM

You need to learn what you're talking about. You need fats to be lean. You need complex carbs, you need simple ones, too, you need protein, you need it all. It's all how you break it down, and what kinds your taking in.

KarateBoy
06-19-2006, 09:32 AM
that's some of the worst advice you can give someone. its very important to make sure you're getting adequate amounts of healthy fats. at least 20% of your cals need to be coming from fats. fitday is a very useful tool for getting your diet together. you're lean right now and you've got plenty of room to bulk. get to it.

Bull****. Adequate? Your body hates using fats for energy, it just needs it to create cell walls and such. There isn't a need to go over 40 grams of fat for someone around 180 lbs. 40 grams is something he can get out of a couple handfuls of peanuts. There isn't a reason to "try to get an adequate" amount of fats since no matter what he eats, there will always be fat in it throught the day.

I've been on that diet for 3 weeks now. I've also had the best gains of my life and felt the best ever too.

Needing protein is a given.

I focus on the complex carb of the diet because simple are always going to be their too: milk (12 grams of sugar/cup) , bagels (10-12 grams of sugar/ bagel), and orange juice (25-30 grams of sugar/cup)

You need to learn what you're talking about. You need fats to be lean. You need complex carbs, you need simple ones, too, you need protein, you need it all. It's all how you break it down, and what kinds your taking in.

I need fats to be lean? Don't you see the correlation between fats and being fat? Sure you need "some" but you can get all the fat you need, and many times much much more, without paying attention to your diet. 20%? So when I was eating 6,000 calories a day, I NEEDED 20% of that to come from fats? I needed 1200 calories of fat?! I needed 130 grams of fat a day, right?! *rolls eyes* NO, I didn't, I "needed" only about a 1/3 of that which comes out to be ~7% You should know not to talk in percentages.

Margin Of Error
06-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Bull****. Adequate? Your body hates using fats for energy, it just needs it to create cell walls and such. There isn't a need to go over 40 grams of fat for someone around 180 lbs. 40 grams is something he can get out of a couple handfuls of peanuts. There isn't a reason to "try to get an adequate" amount of fats since no matter what he eats, there will always be fat in it throught the day.

I've been on that diet for 3 weeks now. I've also had the best gains of my life and felt the best ever too.

Needing protein is a given.

I focus on the complex carb of the diet because simple are always going to be their too: milk (12 grams of sugar/cup) , bagels (10-12 grams of sugar/ bagel), and orange juice (25-30 grams of sugar/cup)

I need fats to be lean? Don't you see the correlation between fats and being fat? Sure you need "some" but you can get all the fat you need, and many times much much more, without paying attention to your diet. 20%? So when I was eating 6,000 calories a day, I NEEDED 20% of that to come from fats? I needed 1200 calories of fat?! I needed 130 grams of fat a day, right?! *rolls eyes* NO, I didn't, I "needed" only about a 1/3 of that which comes out to be ~7% You should know not to talk in percentages.

You're an idiot. Stop giving advice on something you know nothing about.

RBB
06-19-2006, 09:47 AM
judging by your avatar pic and your join date, you know jack**** about diet. start doing some research before you begin giving out bad diet advice. there isn't a reason for an adequate amount of fats? everything he eats will have fat in it? i've just got to laugh at that. three weeks of great gains, give me a break.

to the OP, sorry to derail your thread with this bull****. as was previously stated you've got a good frame to put mass on. get the diet in check and start bulking. don't take to karateboy's diet advice and you should be fine.

KarateBoy
06-19-2006, 10:00 AM
judging by your avatar pic and your join date, you know jack**** about diet. start doing some research before you begin giving out bad diet advice. there isn't a reason for an adequate amount of fats? everything he eats will have fat in it? i've just got to laugh at that. three weeks of great gains, give me a break.

Some great logic you have there...just because I haven't been with WBB I don't know jack right? Because WBB is the ONLY legit place of information?

I'm not argueing if there is reason for adequate amount of fat, I'm argueing how much an adequate amount of fat IS

Judging by my picture? Thats the stupidest thing I've heard. First of all, my picture is old, 2nd of all, diet is NOT about staying where you are but IMPROVING. I've changed my diet and my gains have been incredible.

Don't take my advice? So you're saying don't worry about complex carbs? There has been research to prove that a gram of carbs can provide 4x the USABLE energy as fats. What is energy? ATP! Where does it come from? Easiest place is through glycolysis, the krebs cycle, and most importantly, the electron transport chain? What is used up in those process? Glucose! Where does it come from? Sugars and sugars = carbs.

Carbs are what give you enegy, help you build muscle, and help you repair muscle. The importance of carbs is not stressed enough on this forum because many people things all calories are created equal. Complex carbs are important because they won't spike your insulin levels.

Anthony
06-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Karateboy, your advice is incorrect. I highly suggest you do some research into why eating fats are vital to our health and performance. Until then, refrain from presenting your (false) opinion as fact.

RBB26
06-19-2006, 10:02 AM
That's quite a lot of information to absorb! ^^

Thanks to everyone. I'll post some progress later on

KarateBoy
06-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Karateboy, your advice is incorrect. I highly suggest you do some research into why eating fats are vital to our health and performance. Until then, refrain from presenting your (false) opinion as fact.

I'll say this again.

I AM NOT argueing the importance of fat.

I am argueing the amount of fat that is NECCESARY.

Anthony
06-19-2006, 10:11 AM
And until you back up your claims with at least one scientific study, I'll ask you again to refrain from aggressively stating your opinion as fact.

KarateBoy
06-19-2006, 10:12 AM
And until you back up your claims with at least one scientific study, I'll ask you again to refrain from aggressively stating your opinion as fact.

Gotcha. I'll go look for the link right now.

RBB
06-19-2006, 10:20 AM
yes, and you are wrong about that. 20% isn't necessary to live, but it is an optimal amount. take everyone's advice and do some research before you start posting your opinion as fact.

KarateBoy
06-19-2006, 10:20 AM
This is roughly the diet I've been following.

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/6534/bulkingmealplanlarge6xh.jpg

46 grams of fat for a 180 lbs man.

My question is why should fat consumption incease as daily calorie intake increases? It's not like the rate of mitosis and meiosis increases.

Anthony
06-19-2006, 10:25 AM
That's your scientific study?

KarateBoy
06-19-2006, 10:41 AM
That's your scientific study?

No, thats the rough outline of the diet for the OP.

There's a reason M&F is a national magazine.

Anthony
06-19-2006, 10:46 AM
There's a reason M&F is a national magazine.

You are joking, right?

Time+Patience
06-19-2006, 10:53 AM
I'll get back on topic.

You're a lean teenager, you're just going to want to eat, if you can make a diet plan out and stick to it then do your best, but when I was a teenager I had a base diet, and followed that, and then ate whatever else on top of that, I was always pretty lean no matter what I ate.

Your back looks very good!!! the front needs 2 catch up, but bulking up will get you there.

KarateBoy
06-19-2006, 10:54 AM
You are joking, right?

Not at all. Obviously, I don't agree with them 100% but they do have numerous informative articles and they do have research/facts to back up their facts at times.

There's a lot of unneccesary hate thrown towards M&F. Their diet works much better for me and everyone I know that was suggested it then WBB's "eat more and eat everything insight."

Anthony
06-19-2006, 11:03 AM
Wow. I was going to respond to each of your points and tell you why they are wrong, but I can sum it up with "Muscle & Fitness." I'm sorry man, but if your knowledge is based off a glossy magazine, you should really do yourself a favor and read more.

I HIGHLY suggest you start with UD2.0 and go from there. You'll get a better understanding of the hormones involved, why fat is extremely important, and why insane amounts of carbs are unnecessary.

RBB
06-19-2006, 11:03 AM
you still haven't answered the question posed on the amount of fat one needs in their diet. articles in m&f don't count as scientific research.

Margin Of Error
06-19-2006, 11:11 AM
Carbs are what give you enegy, help you build muscle, and help you repair muscle. The importance of carbs is not stressed enough on this forum because many people things all calories are created equal. Complex carbs are important because they won't spike your insulin levels.

Actually muscle is built from protein bro. You really should just stop posting and start reading.

KarateBoy
06-19-2006, 11:21 AM
Wow. I was going to respond to each of your points and tell you why they are wrong, but I can sum it up with "Muscle & Fitness." I'm sorry man, but if your knowledge is based off a glossy magazine, you should really do yourself a favor and read more.

I HIGHLY suggest you start with UD2.0 and go from there. You'll get a better understanding of the hormones involved, why fat is extremely important, and why insane amounts of carbs are unnecessary.

I never said fat isn't important. I do understand how hormones work. I do know that fat is extremely important. I also know that many people on this forum eat upwards of 5,000 calories a day. I also know that your body doesn't need 1000 calories, that the magical 20%, of fat a day to function.

I also never advocated insane amount of carbs and I do not believe that 400 grams of carbs is insane.

But I will check out UD2.0. I'm always willing to learn more.

Actually muscle is built from protein bro. You really should just stop posting and start reading.

Re-read the post as you seem to have poor reading comprehension. I said HELP you build muscle.

Muscle is made up to protein but you need energy, as in from carbs, to assemble, or build, it.

Don't tell me you think amino acids are attracted to each other. I'll give you the same advice.

Skinny Fat
06-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Wow.

1) Calm the hell down. You are being very aggressive with an opinion that is much more loosely based in fact than you know.

2) WBB's advice is not to 'eat everything in sight'. It's the advice given from big guys on the board to skinny guys wondering 'what supplements will make me big.' WBB, as a board, certainly does not advocate fats (or anything else) by percentages.

Simply, if you're a skinny dude, you can eat clean and bulk (which you'll find a lot of advice on if you read the stickies), or you can 'eat everything in sight.' Seriously, if you look like your avatar at all, you're really not going to hurt yourself by eating a few more fat grams.

Oh, and there's really no connection between the number of fat grams you eat and the fat you gain. So there's that.

KarateBoy
06-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Wow.

1) Calm the hell down. You are being very aggressive with an opinion that is much more loosely based in fact than you know.

2) WBB's advice is not to 'eat everything in sight'. It's the advice given from big guys on the board to skinny guys wondering 'what supplements will make me big.' WBB, as a board, certainly does not advocate fats (or anything else) by percentages.

Simply, if you're a skinny dude, you can eat clean and bulk (which you'll find a lot of advice on if you read the stickies), or you can 'eat everything in sight.' Seriously, if you look like your avatar at all, you're really not going to hurt yourself by eating a few more fat grams.

Oh, and there's really no connection between the number of fat grams you eat and the fat you gain. So there's that.

I don't mean to come off aggressive :hello:

And I do agree with you, most of the skinny members that do post here can gain a few lbs of fat without being obese. Nonetheless, from my personal experiences, after 50 or so grams of fat, I'm not gaining anything beneficial.

A little while ago, I was one of those skinny guys that got the advice "eat everything in sight." I went up to 5500-6000 calories a day, eating 400 grams of fat a day. 8 weeks of that diet is something I want to save other 'skinny" guys from because it just doesn't work. My current diet, I've gained 2x as much muscle in half the time on half the calories.

I believe that many of the bigger guys on here, don't realize the skinny guys, the ectomorphs, don't need or are not benefitted the same way from fat just because of the way our bodies treat fat.

That is my point. Fat is neccesary, but consume only the amount that is neccesary since fellow ectomorphs like myself will benefit much more from carb calories then fat calories.

Anthony
06-19-2006, 11:49 AM
I never said fat isn't important. I do understand how hormones work. I do know that fat is extremely important. I also know that many people on this forum eat upwards of 5,000 calories a day. I also know that your body doesn't need 1000 calories, that the magical 20%, of fat a day to function.
If you stick around the forums you'll find that as a group we don't use percentages. You'll also find that the ideal amount of fat for hormone production is 0.5g/lb of LBM and higher.

The bottom line is that you threw out an arbitrary number (40g) without backing it up. We asked you to back it up and you posted a link to a M&F article. That doesn't hold a lot of weight around here. No pun intended. :D

KarateBoy
06-19-2006, 11:59 AM
If you stick around the forums you'll find that as a group we don't use percentages. You'll also find that the ideal amount of fat for hormone production is 0.5g/lb of LBM and higher.

The bottom line is that you threw out an arbitrary number (40g) without backing it up. We asked you to back it up and you posted a link to a M&F article. That doesn't hold a lot of weight around here. No pun intended. :D

I have heard that statistic, 0.5 grams of fat/ lbs of lbm but I haven't seen anyone actually benefit from it.

My friend's cut was set back by over a month because it was too much fat for him and my bulk got me to a place where I needed a small cut with little-no muscle gain.

You know what they say, its insanity to do the same thing twice and expect a different result.

Saint Patrick
06-19-2006, 12:03 PM
A little while ago, I was one of those skinny guys that got the advice "eat everything in sight." I went up to 5500-6000 calories a day, eating 400 grams of fat a day. 8 weeks of that diet is something I want to save other 'skinny" guys from because it just doesn't work.

400 Grams of fat/day? No wonder you had lousy results, that's 3600 calories from fat, over 1/2 your caloric intake. Sounds to me like you went from one extreme to the other.

KarateBoy
06-19-2006, 12:09 PM
400 Grams of fat/day? No wonder you had lousy results, that's 3600 calories from fat, over 1/2 your caloric intake. Sounds to me like you went from one extreme to the other.

But I ate "everything in sight" :angel:

Which is why I don't like that saying.

Currently, i'm getting about

400-450 grams of carbs
150-200 grams of protein
40-80 grams of fat (80 comes from when I decide not to resist pizza :))

Anthony
06-19-2006, 12:23 PM
I have heard that statistic, 0.5 grams of fat/ lbs of lbm but I haven't seen anyone actually benefit from it.

My friend's cut was set back by over a month because it was too much fat for him and my bulk got me to a place where I needed a small cut with little-no muscle gain.

You know what they say, its insanity to do the same thing twice and expect a different result.

So you have two anecdotal examples? I can think of dozens of people just from this site who have benefited from >0.5g/lb. Not to mention dozens more on other sites. Not to mention people I see and train with on a daily basis. We could go back and forth all day with "people we know" but you still haven't produced the study you said you would post.

Personally, I think you're confusing too much fat with too many calories.