PDA

View Full Version : Connection between milk and pimples?

ryan9
06-18-2006, 06:24 PM
I've used the search to see if this has already been covered but havent found anything. But my bad if it has though. I used to get a ton of white heads all over my chin and it started to look pretty bad. I tried everything from not washing my face at all to washing twice daily and using a whole bunch of different over the counter products but nothing worked. Once the other ones would go away more and more would just keep coming up. Someone suggested for me to stop drinking milk for awhile and see what happens, I was drinking atleast a couple litres a day so I figured maybe thats what was causing the white heads on my chin. Its two weeks later and the whiteheads on my chin have almost completly cleared up. So my questions is, does this mean I'm lactose intolerent and im getting these whiteheads on my chin because of it? Does it mean Im consuming too much milk? And why did I keep getting them only on my chin? Sorry for the long post but I hope somebody can answer my questions.

KingWilder
06-18-2006, 06:28 PM
I'm pretty sure that it's a myth to associate acne with food consumption, however, I could be wrong

Edit: just found this, could be an interesting read:

http://www.cure-guide.com/Natural_Health_Newsletter/Milk_and_Acne/milk_and_acne.html

ryan9
06-18-2006, 06:45 PM
Just read the article, good find bro. Now the thing is, why would I only be getting them on my chin? This is going to suck when augest comes and I start my bulk again. I was pulling in a good 800 calories atleast from milk a day. Right now im fine without milk because im on a cut but im going to have some trouble when I start my bulk again.

KingWilder
06-18-2006, 07:00 PM
you could try soy milk

if you're mixing it with protein you probably wouldn't be able to tell

ryan9
06-18-2006, 07:03 PM
I would think soy milk would have the same effect though.

KingWilder
06-18-2006, 07:09 PM
I don't think it has the same steroids/horomones as regular milk though since it's from a plant...and isn't that what could be causing the acne?

EDIT: I just glimpsed back over the article and it's talking about cow's milk, so I see no problem with soy

ryan9
06-18-2006, 07:47 PM
Alright I will have to give that a try thanks. Anyone else have any other opinions with my orginal question?

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-18-2006, 08:08 PM
http://www.acne.org/

ryan9
06-18-2006, 08:49 PM
I've looked through that site a couple times before. They dont really have anything on their that concerns my question. Yes they say that diet has nothing to do with acne and it's a myth but I disagree. I stop drinking milk and my acne clears up. Coincidence? I doubt it. The weird thing is that I only got them on my chin and I can't figure out why.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Diet can affect your acne. I've read that quite a few times. If you have some kind of allergic reaction to milk (or any food for that matter), it can aggravate acne.

ryan9
06-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Well then I guess thats that. No more milk for me. Is soy milk a good alternative? Not acne wise but for the protein etc.

sCaRz*Of*PaiN
06-18-2006, 09:06 PM
You should get checked by an allergist about your food allergies and see if this is even the case. Milk is awesome. I wouldn't want to give it up. The correlation of milk and acne could just be a coincidence in your case. You never know.

Turnip
06-18-2006, 09:21 PM
"And remember, do not drink soy milk because of the negative consequences on thyroid hormone production and mineral metabolism."

Whys it say this at the bottom of this: http://www.cure-guide.com/Natural_Health_Newsletter/Milk_and_Acne/milk_and_acne.html

ryan9
06-19-2006, 05:15 AM
Yea, I don't want to give milk up I used to go through so much of it and I love it. But yes I was planning on seeing an allergist anyways because my alergies are bad right now, so I will have to get that checked.

lifter4life
06-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Try drinking less milk altogether and then just buy regular milk and soy milk and mix it up a bit, but not literally. Just switch between milk/soy milk throughout the day.

Also, you could be getting pimples on your chin because you are resting your chin on your hand while sitting or something. I used to do it in class all the time. Try to keep you hands off your face.

ryan9
06-19-2006, 02:10 PM
Yea I've made sure im not touching it so it's probably not that. And as for only having small amounts of milk, even when I have only a little I get breakouts on my chin. I just think it's weird that milk would do that to you. Now what am I going to use this blender of mine for. =)

Eszekial
06-19-2006, 02:40 PM
Everybody is different obviously.

I drink tons of milk, organic, non, non fat, 2%, soy milk... Chocolate milk...

Whatever.

I can honestly say for me at least, it has no effect on my acne production at a noticeable level.

Mercuryblade
06-19-2006, 07:37 PM
So my questions is, does this mean I'm lactose intolerent and im getting these whiteheads on my chin because of it?

Lactose intolerances is a digestive issue, not an allergic reaction. It has to do with the lack of the enzyme lactase, which cleaves lactose into the galactaside and glucose. Lactase is an enzyme that humans naturally produce, as we get older our bodies produce less and less of it, (hence why lactose intolerance can be developed, and why the older people get the more likely they are to have it.) So if this is a side effect of being lactose intolerent, which unless you are having some digestive trouble after drinking milk you're most likely not, try taking lactaid or any other lactase supplement.